NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Banned

Default National exhibitors vote to return to Baltimore in 2012

Just received this news via e-mail. I posted it in the other National thread but thought it deserved its own spot. Good decision. Lots of people should be happy.

National Exhibitors Vote to Return to Baltimore in 2012 in Special Ballot

During the 31st National Sports Collectors Convention at the Baltimore Convention Center, last summer, National organizers kept hearing one comment. “The National has got to come back to Baltimore again!”

At the Annual Meeting held on Friday night during the National, presentations were given by Atlantic City and Baltimore to host the 2014 National. However, there were two drawbacks to the bid from Baltimore. First, the Convention Center could not provide a 2014 date earlier than the middle of August (much later than the National has ever been held) and second, the Convention Center would not sign a contract with the NSCC more than 24 months in advance of those dates. Both of these issues posed large problems for the NSCC and show organizers.

Following the National, exhibitors were still very much in favor of returning to Baltimore as a result of the success of the 2010 event. Show managers Mike Berkus and John Broggi (SMI LLC) looked for a way to return to Baltimore and to overcome the two drawbacks for 2014. In October, Baltimore officials informed SMI that they could provide the National with 8/1-8/5/2012 dates, roughly the same time period as the 2010 National.

In addition, since those 2012 dates were within the 24 month requirement that Baltimore had, a contract could be signed immediately.That left one problem to be resolved. The National already had a 2012 contract with Cleveland. SMI LLC entered into negotiations with I-X Center personnel concerning the possibility of moving the 2012 National, originally scheduled there. Several discussions with Cleveland’s I-X Center were held and SMI LLC has agreed to pay Cleveland a one-time non-refundable fee to move the 2012 show and to hold the 2014 show in Cleveland. In addition, the 2018 National will be held at the I-X Center. This change provides a longer interval between shows in Cleveland. Once a tentative agreement was reached with the I-X Center, a ballot was sent to National Exhibitors for approval. Dealers voted overwhelmingly to return to Baltimore in 2012.

The Booth Selection Lottery in Chicago next summer will provide additional details concerning Baltimore 2012.

A limited number of booths still remain for the 32nd National in Chicago. If you wish to exhibit in August, please contact Megan in the National Office immediately to reserve one of the remaining locations. Call her direct at 732-735-6683. Full payment will be required before space can be assigned.

Last edited by Rob D.; 12-09-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Rob G.

Awesome! It was a great family environment. My wife and young kids enjoyed museums and shopping while I was inside the National, and we went to the zoo and a ballgame together. Worked out wonderfully. I better start saving money now!

Last edited by tiger8mush; 12-09-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Clayton

Wow. So much for Las Vegas
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
T!M R10rd@n

I just saw that in my email as well.

Care to guess where my family vacation will be in 2012?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Daryl

I got that email as well. Great!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM

I, too, just saw that in my email. It looks like the National will rotate between Chicago and Baltimore.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Glad to hear it. The venue was modern and enjoyable, and the town itself has really cleaned up its act since the last time I was in the Inner Harbor area. The locals were friendly and helpful, accommodations were comfortable, above average in style and quite affordable. I just didn't like the hefty parking rates, but did find a good deal after I got there ($8 or $10/day, two blocks from the venue).

As much as I love Chicago and its outlying suburbia, I can't stand that terrible convention center or the lack of anything to do in Rosemont. How does Chicago not have a better venue? What a dump.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Tom Boblitt

Chicago has McCormick downtown but I'm sure it's WAY more expensive than the old Rosemont.....George Smith, whatever it is now. I don't see a problem with the facility in Chicago. Food sucks, but it basically sucks at all these venues. At least in Baltimore you could cross the street for food. I really enjoyed Baltimore. It was an easy ride from airport to hotel/venue and it was right in the middle of things. Look forward to 2012.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I, too, just saw that in my email. It looks like the National will rotate between Chicago and Baltimore.
Did you miss the part about Cleveland being the host city in 2014 and '18?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 PM

It's early yet. My feeling is that the dealers are going to complain so much about not wanting Cleveland, that they will switch it to Baltimore or Chicago.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Brandon Bailey

Best News I've heard all day. Lets hope the O's are in town again.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:41 PM
David McDonald

I am really pleased to learn of this. I was unable to attend the 2010 National in Baltimore because of a conflicting family reunion in the Netherlands. My wife and I had originally planned to do an extended trip of the Mid-Atlantic states to include the National plus visits to D.C., Annapolis and various Civil War historical sites such as Gettysburg, Annapolis etc, and after hearing of the great times that all seemed to have had in Baltimore I was doubly sorry to have missed out (although we had a helluva nice time in Holland). Looking forward to Cleveland or Chicago just wasn't going to cut it for me, but now I am counting the months to August 2012.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
I am really pleased to learn of this. I was unable to attend the 2010 National in Baltimore because of a conflicting family reunion in the Netherlands. My wife and I had originally planned to do an extended trip of the Mid-Atlantic states to include the National plus visits to D.C., Annapolis and various Civil War historical sites such as Gettysburg, Annapolis etc, and after hearing of the great times that all seemed to have had in Baltimore I was doubly sorry to have missed out (although we had a helluva nice time in Holland). Looking forward to Cleveland or Chicago just wasn't going to cut it for me, but now I am counting the months to August 2012.

"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch" - Nigel Powers, father of Austin Powers
Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Excellent news!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

yes,yes! baltimore was the perfect venue. everything within walking distance. to make things better, i have a host of relatives there. one of the best 10 days away from home i've had in quite a while. then to top things off i met many there for the first time, though we've sent each other thousands of $$$ over the years. nice to put a face to a name. just my $0.02