NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Default Set collectors - which ones do you collect and how are you doing on them?

Posted By: Joann

Just curious, from reading this thread. lolol. OK, I'll put my lack of knowledge on full display here.

Do most set collectors work on one set at a time? I think I've always just assumed that. Collect a set. Finish it. Collect a different set. It never occured to me until I read this thread that someone might collect more than one set at the same time.

Also, just from curiosity ... I focus on Detroit players only (or minor leaguers that spent at least recordable time in Detroit). I picked up a batch of T205's in the last Lipset auction so I could keep the Dtw players and sell the rest. The mix was both Nat'l and Amer leaguers, and as I looked at the cards I thought I may be shutting myself off from some beautiful cards by focusing just on Dtw guys.

Also, I had them all out on my counter and was kind of stunned by the color. You just don't get that with different types that have different shapes, some B/W, etc.

So ... I thought about working on a small, relatively easy set as a sideline. I think past threads have suggested E95's as reasonable in terms of price, size, etc.

Any other suggestions? (And, since I've rambled far past my original question - do most set collectors go one set at a time, or more than one?)

J

Old 07-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default Set collectors - which ones do you collect and how are you doing on them?

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Joann:

I have a reasonably ambitious set-collecting goal (all 26 years the Yanks won the WS, plus T205). What I've found is that focusing on one set at a time can be harmful to the wallet. After building sets for a while, you see that they get hot, they cool off, and all points inbetween. It's driven by how many other people are collecting it at any point in time.

Basically all you need is two people to decide to collect it at the same time, and Ebay/auction prices start going to the moon as they beat each other up on prices.

As such, I try and collect a couple sets at a time, so if prices start going crazy on one, I can focus on another for awhile.

As for your other dilemma, I had the same problem. Focusing on a single goal was killing me as I started seeing cards I liked in non-"Yankee years". The Yanks didn't win their first Series until 1923, which limits many prewar sets as well. So I started building a Hall of Fame set. That enables me to collect individual player cards from whatever sets I like - so I could go out and buy some great prewar items, some cool oddball and regional 1950s and 60s cards, et cetera. It's been a great distraction - so much so that there are times that the HOF set is all I'm working on, as I get bored quickly. With the HOF set, my goal is one card (at least) of every HOFer, using as many card types as possible.

I highly recommend it; it's the most fun I've ever had in the hobby.

-Al

Old 07-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Hi Joann,

Most set collectors that I know collect more than one at a time. This is probably so that we can keep ourselves "consumed" while waiting for the next card to pop up. Sometimes I'll get lucky and pick up a group of cards that will get me started on a particular set, but some of the really tough sets requires one to dedicate his/herself to that set for a period of many years collecting one card at a time.

Collecting sets by "yourself" is very difficult. You need help. If I know that a hobby friend needs a card, I might just give it to him and hope that the favor is returned some day. That's one thing this board is great for.

I do recommend E95, but it's not as easy as it used to be a couple years ago.
There are no tough cards in the set, but cobb and wags have become really expensive in lowgrade. E96 is probably less expensive in lowgrade, and not much harder to complete.

One thing that's fun about T206 is that it might take years to complete, but it's comforting to know that the cards aren't going anywhere. Lower grade cards probably will not spike in value either, so you can piece together 30-50 a year if you want to take it slow.

Everyone is a set collector at heart. Self-proclaimed type collectors are just calling themselves that until they complete their secret sets they've been working on.

Enjoy the hunt!

Robert

Old 07-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bob

Completed
33 Goudey - not including the Lajoie which was printed with the 34 set.
34 Goudey - not including the Lajoie which is really part of the 33 set.
69,70, 74-8 Topps

Working on
T206 - about 100 cards to go. I'm skipping variations and the biggies.
1941 Playball - Need DiMaggio and Reese. Probably will have to wait till the kids are through with school.
56 Topps, 67 Topps (and Red Sox stickers!), 68 Topps
54 Bowman, Hostess and Kellogs
69 OPC

Given up (mainly to trade for t206s)
35 Goudey
36 Goudey
53 Topps, 53 Bowman Color, 50 Bowman
E90

Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Joann: do not allow yourself to be seduced by the baseball card collecting's dark side. Do not allow these pitiful set collectors extoll the virtues of their addiction for the simple pleasure of drawing you into their evil web. You see them as they are right now. Run! They will have no mercy.

You have started on the right path, but have stumbled on the most attractive lure of the set collector, the dreaded t205s! Be strong, muster all of your resolve. Look at how Leon has progressed. He was once a set collector.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Old Judge Collector

i cant answer that question because i have no vintage cards all i have is a 1956 Topps Rance PLess and i know that isnt pre ww2 these are the threads that make me depressed its a good thread if i had any vintage cards maybe i should save up to get a good one

Old 07-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator

By the way - Scott, those pins are tremendous.

-Al

Old 07-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

T206 minus big 5. Backs up UZIT.

T202 complete, 4 year journey.

T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps, 26 so far, this could be a long journey.

Lee

Old 07-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

I finished my T205 set a few years ago (the basic run), then filled in most of my Topps and Bowman sets. However, I got a bit tired of chasing the Mantles and Mays cards, so I've put them aside for now and started on T202s. Just to make sure I don't get bored, I'm going to try to get all three backs of each card. I'm not sure if they even exist in all three variations, but that's what will make it fun!

Take Care, Geno

Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Tbob - Thanks. We both know that finding a nice "Old" Cy Young is one of the more difficult tasks in collecting P2s and, yes, I do consider my set complete without the Mullen Large Letters, Dark Hat phantom pin which has no proof of its existence.

Al - Thanks for the compliment on the set. The P2s make a nice companion to the T205s since they share many of the same images and variations.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Misunderestimated (Brian H)

I'm a set collector. Although some of my sets are sets I have "created" -- like HOF sets.

Currently I have
-- T205 set -- 218 different (sans Hoblizel-w/out stats and Wilhelm "suffered")
- NL Fan Craze
-- AL Fan Craze (less 3 or 4)
-- Nearly 2 T202 complete Sets (which I am unfortunately addicted to upgrading, one PSA and one SGC)
-- 2 - S & S game sets (I'll be shedding one of them)
-- Topps back to 1958 (less a few cards)
numerous other post-wwII sets. Not too active with these since the internet/ebay came along and it became easier to find vintage cards that I wanted or needed. Card grading also helped because I could at least have some certainly about what I was getting.

In additon to the ones above that I consider more or less "complete" I'm working on:

Hall of Fame set. My parameters are: each HOFer with a "card" from during their career as whatever got them in the HOF. FOr example, Sparky Anderson as a Manager, Ted Williams as a player and Jocko Conlon as an Umpire. Obviously exception are being made along the way...

Old Judge: HOFers (1 of each is the ultimate goal) and assorted other players of interest to me based on their places in Baseball history. The only glaring omission right now is Browning.

1955 Bowman
1957 Topps
1939 Playball
-- Someday, I hope to get all of the Mayos, I have started a few times and chickened out.

Used to have
very very low grade 1941 Playball
Very high grade 1936 Goudey
mid-grade 1934 Goudey
Basketball and Football sets (still have many, hard to sell them and get enough to justify the trouble of listing them and mailing them)

Old 07-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott T

Low Budget, Ultra Low Grade T206's: 480 of 524
1955 Topps All American Football (PSA 6 or better): 91 of 100

Scott

Old 07-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

Great thread and some amazing projects underway. I lack focus and i lack patience - two killers for trying to put sets together. I also lack funds, but regardless i have a lot of fun and thats what this is all about right.

T3 - 51/100 - the market caught up with me on this one unfortunately. I was happily putting together a 'no pin holes' set, and making good progress, until PSA starting grading them. If i'm going to complete the set i'm going to have change my criterion for whats acceptable.

W514 - complete, with variations. Now its about upgrades.

T206 - 460 players only. About 3/4 the way there on this one.

T210-1 Columbus players only - proving to be harder than I thought. Need two.

T227 - complete

M101-2 Have about 30/100

T212-2 Obak - back variation set. Have 14.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Seaborn

I collect 19th century baseball sets. Here's where I'm at:

N300 Mayo's Cut Plug - complete (48/48)
N28 A&G - complete (10/10)
N29 A&G - complete (6/6)
N43 A&G - almost (5/6, missing Fogarty)
N184 Kimball's - halfway (2/4)
N162 Goodwin's - almost (7/8, missing Anson)
N370 Lone Jacks - just two so far
N167 Old Judge - just two so far

Old 07-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

I have a bunch of sets going...I won't list the Topps baseball run that I am after but will mention that I am trying to complete 14 sets of 1971 Topps Football cards... I have maybe 5 full sets and partials of the other 9. This is just to prove that I'm nuts...

Pre World War II Sets I have :
1936 Goudey 22/25
34-36 Batter Up 38/192
34-36 Diamond Stars 48/108
E95 20/25
E96 10/30
T205 201/212
NL Fan Craze 10/50?

I also collect every pre-war HOFer I can find and afford. (not many lately)

Another great topic !

Brian L
familytoad

Old 07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

As of today, I also collect 1915 CJ's. Just got my first two in the mail, & I'm hooked. How many more to go?

Old 07-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I'm only one card away from completing the Boston Store set. I need card number 194 of wood... Yes Scott I know, I should have bought yours when I had the chance!!

Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

The only pre war I'm working on is the 33 Goudey in low grade (Vg or less). It's slowed down a bit due to focusing on acquiring type sets now. I still need 1 Gehrig, 2 of the Ruth's both Foxx cards etc..so the popular HOF cards are
gonna cost a good hunk o change. It's hard to find bargains on those cards anymore...so I don't know how much I'll keep going on that set. I'm also trying to collect HOF exhibit cards (1 of each player).

Post War I have complete run 1970 Topps to 1980 Topps. Including 1971 Greatest Momements Set. Also 1971-1973 Topps Football and 1972-3 Topps Basketball.

Ricky

Old 07-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I am a set collector that attempts to collect complete sets every card psa 8 and better or psa 9 or better for the smaller sets. I collect all sports--but primarily baseball, football, basketball and hockey up until the late 60s depending upon the sport.
I am doing pretty well--49 sets completed in psa 8 or better, another 7 complete with a few cards graded less and another 20 or so with less than 10 cards missing.
Prewar I have completed just 33 Goudey Sport Kings and 36 S$S in PSA 8 or better but am actively working on 34-6 Diamond Stars, 34 Goudey, 38 Goudey, 39 Play Ball. 40 Play Ball and 41 Play Ball.
My intermediate term goal is 100 sets PSA 8 or better

Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

can you email me about BF3's? I can't get your email address from here........
Thanks,
Tom

Old 07-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ralph

Look at this...being able to show off some of our "family jewels"..and exposing your "baseball card manhood",and measuring how lengthy our card "conquest" list is....Its the kind of thing you did when we were kids...but back then you could come right out and say.." Mine is bigger then yours !"...now its a bit more subdued...but yet we all still have that desire to climb on that "man-o-meter" and weigh in . No wonder there were over 70 responses to this post !
Rock on old card collectors !

Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Ralph,

I think there is far less "you are what you collect" here than you portray. There are various approaches to the hobby, different preferences and priorities and different budgets.

Those with the most valuable collections are not necessarilly the most wealthy individuals. Sometimes, card collectors own little else than their cards. Other times, a person who has deep pockets may be vested in projects with greater potential than cards.

I read these posts as a sharing of different areas of collecting enjoyment. And I enjoy the insights, struggles and successes detailed.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Administrator

I agree with Gil. I'm not reading these posts as being bragging - I'm reading them as a bunch of people who build sets, sharing the sets they're working on.

I think this thread is awesome; I've read every post just to see if there's anyone working on the same stuff I'm working on, and also to see if maybe I've got some cards that might be more useful to someone else then they are sitting in my collection.

-Al