NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Default Hobby Veteran Don Flanagan Dies

Posted By: barrysloate

Long time hobby veteran Don Flanagan passed away on Saturday July 5. I had heard he was pretty sick but of course this is sad news. I remember Don from the old Willow Grove shows, and he was always friendly and easy to deal with. He had stints with Mastro and Christie's (or was it Sotheby's, I'm having a senior moment), and he coordinated the sale of the great Baseball Magazine photograph collection, among others.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

I knew Don for many, many years. He was always a friendly and cordial guy.
My condolences to his family.
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

I'll miss seeing him each year at the National.

Regards
Rich

Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

Don was a good friend and had a wonderful collection at one time.

He sold us many rare type cards including Boston Garters
and a Darby Chocolate Box as well as our first Federal League Pennant

He and his partner, Tony, were fixtures at the New Jersey and Philly
shows in the late 70's and early 1980's

There were some wonderful bargains at the Christie's Auctions which
he ran.

Will never forget bidding on (and losing) the only baseball Oscar ever
given. Barry Halper won it, but it was Don who managed to secure
it for Christies.

Great guy. Will be sadly missed

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Very, very sad to hear of Don's passing away. I have known Don since the early 1980's Willow Grove Shows.
When this show moved to Ft. Washington in 1993, Don's booth was next to mine. Don was an avid Boxing collector and
he and I would be "talking Boxing" as it was when we were kids. Also, he had the nicest 1948 LEAF Rockie Graziano card
that I ever had a close look at.

The late hobby veteran Tom Reid and Don were great friends and when they would get together at Don's booth, we had
the greatest of times.

GOD Bless Don Flanagan and his Family.

TED Z

Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyS.hanus

Really really sorry to hear this. I've known Don for over twenty years and have enjoyed many memorable hobby moments with him. I will miss him greatly. My condolences to his family.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

This has been a terrible year for hobby-related deaths. I will miss all of them. Peace and comfort be with Don's family.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

always shot straight when we talked or did some little deal. I purchased my first Duke advertising cabinet from him and will miss what I describe as a wry smile that would show up as I approached him at a table. I ran into him in Florida at the Breakers last year - asked if he ever read the forum and he told me not a chance. I was looking forward to asking him about that at the National...... 30+ years experience and a decent person who always seemed to call it as he saw it......... The "community" has lost yet another valued and important member. My condolences to the family and hope that Don has peace in his new community.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

a very sad day.

my deepest condolences and sympathy to family and friends,

Barry

Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

Don will be missed. He was such a pleasant man and I looked forward to talking to him at the Philly shows when he set up there. CN

Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Did Don set up at the Chantilly Show? Does anyone have a picture of him to post? At the moment, I can't put a face with the name.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's always sad to hear of another collector and hobbyist passing away. My condolences to the family....here is an obit....

Donald J. Flanagan
beloved husband, father, and grandfather
July 7, 2008

MORRISTOWN -- Donald Joseph Flanagan of Morristown passed away with grace and dignity on Saturday, July 5, 2008, after a valiant 3-year battle with cancer. At the time of his passing, Donald was in his home surrounded by his wife and children. He was 66.

Donald was born in Newark, N.J. on Jan. 21, 1942, to Donald P. and Jeanne d'arc (Frappier) Flanagan.

He was raised in Bellville and graduated from St. Benedicts Preparatory School in 1959.

He attended and graduated from Seton Hall College ('63) and Seton Hall Law School ('66).

He then spent a year clerking for the Hon J.D. Collins before joining the Morris County Prosecutor's office in 1967 as assistant prosecutor.

In addition to practicing law for over two decades, Donald was an avid collector and was regarded as one of the country's leading valuation authorities in the Sports Memorabilia industry having worked for Christie's Auction House in New York for much of the 1990's.

He also founded a number of small collectibles companies including Random Treasures, Perfect Game, and Collectors' Dreams.

Donald had recently completed a book intended to be the singular industry resource regarding the appraisal and authentication of collectable ticket stubs when he passed. In his honor, family and friends intend to have it published posthumously.

He is survived by his loving wife, Denise; his sons, Don and Jon; and his three daughters, Ann Marie Manahan, Margaret DeFazio, and Tara Flanagan.

He is also survived by six loving grandchildren, Michael, Quinn, Shayla, Madeleine, David, and Jack Ryan.

The family will receive friends and relatives at Doyle's Funeral Home at 106 Maple Ave in Morristown, on Tuesday, July 8, from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.

Services will be held at Assumption Church at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, June 9.

Interment will follow at the Holy Rood Cemetery in Morristown, N.J.

In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting donations be made to a cause very close to Donald's heart - St. Joseph's Indian School in Chamberlain, South Dakota. Information can be found and donations may be made at www.stjo.org. (605) 234-3300.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

Really sad to see him go. Somebody asked for picture above. Here is a link to one.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Red:

I can't see the picture that you posted. Could you please email it to me?

Thanks!

Brad

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron Seefeldt

Had many good times with Don over the years... a good friend.

You are already missed.

Peace be with you and your family.

Regards,
Aaron Seefeldt