NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Ed McCollum

It was a year ago this week that I made the decision to sell off most of my t206s and concentrate only on collecting those that had a rubber stamping on the back from Howe McCormick. At that time, I had four in my collection, and thought this would be a good way to persue the set, never knowing exactly how many he might have had or what players.

With a lot of help from the great collectors on this board, I'm now up to 41, with the possibility of many more in the very near future. Thanks to all who have made this possible.

This link is to a slide show that shows what I've got so far. Maybe you'll see one of your old cards, or one you pointed me in the direction of. Again, thanks.

Ed

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/T206ster/McCormickScans/?albumview=slideshow

Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Aaron Patton

Absolutely incredible.

Great work, Ed.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Dave F

That is great work...and unfortunately shows a dedication to sticking on track that I dont have...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Steve

Dave, That's why I take Ritalin.

Ed, Fantastic work -Collecting and all that scanning.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Brad L.

I am not familiar with that rubber stamp. Could you briefly enlighten me on who that is and why they stamped the cards? Also, does that take away, or add value to those cards? Sweet cards by the way.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Ed, of all the cool collections on 54, and all the creative ways of collecting, yours is my absolute favorite. It's just fascinating to me.

And the fact that you've found 41 of these is amazing.

-Al

Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

I got my first card with his stamp back about 1991 or '92. Then twelve years later, I saw another on eBay and bid on it. Then a thread started on the board about t cards with rubber stampings, and what they may have been stamped for. It got me started on "why not try and rebuild a collection that could possibly have been started almost 100 years ago".

What I do know about Ulric Howe McCormick is he was born on July 31, 1895, died sometime in July, 1976, served in WWI, married soon after the war, and never seemed to stray too far from Gainesville, Fla. His birth and death certificates, his service papers and marriage license all came from the same county.

One theory on the board was that early collectors stamped all cards they had dupes of and would send them to other collectors to try and make trades. That way, they could keep track of what was theirs, or someone elses. But it strikes me as strange that all of his cards I seen or purchased so far are either Piedmont, Hindu, or Old Mill ... no Sweet Caps? They would seem pretty common, especially if you were mailing trades to other collectors.

Guess value is a relative thing...I like them, so that is what I buy. So far, 16 of those I've purchased had been graded (I busted them all out), with grades ranging from PSA 1 to 4 (all with the MK qualifier) and SGC 10 or 20. Can't really imagine that unless you were specifically looking for a certain stamp that it would make the card any more valuable to anyone else.

I do know of 33 others out there. Six I have no idea who has them (they were purchased from eBay before I started this quest, but shown in group scans as the seller continued to sell other cards they had), and most of the others are in private collections that might be available if I could find replacements for them. I'll just keep plugging away at it and see where I'm at in five, ten, twenty years from now.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Jantz

I also think this is a unique way of collecting. I know that whenever I'm at a show or on Ebay and I see a T206 with a stamped back I immediately think about you & your endeavor. If I ever find one at a show, I'll grab it for you. Please continue to keep us updated on your pursuit because I for one find this interesting.

Jantz

Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Todd Schultz

count me among the many impressed by your collection--you had a great idea and I love the dedication. One reason you may not see any or many Sweet Caporal cards is because that brand was popular and far more available in the Northeast, while its counterpart in the South was Piedmont. If the young man spent his entire youth in Florida, it would make sense he would not be around alot of Sweet Cap smokers, and that the southern brands would dominate.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: T206Collector

...about collecting your stamped T206 cards holds true for one of the best things about my parallel T206 pursuit of autographed T206 cards: condition and grade of the card are really irrelevant, at least in terms of acquisition -- i.e., you buy what you see with the stamp, regardless of condition, since the condition is secondary to the stamp.

Rather than limiting, it is a really liberating way of collecting pre-war cards. It also keeps you to a fixed budget, and preserves the thrill of the hunt, for these special T206 cards.

One question: ever seen a Howe McCormick stamp on anything other than a T206? When I started seeing signatures on T201s, T202s and T205s, I had to expand my collecting scope to accommodate them.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com to see signed pre-war card galleries, articles, my blog and more!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Dave Haas

Very cool. Have you found multiple stamped cards of the same player or did he stamp just one of each?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Dang, thats one card I didn't count in my list of 33 I know of. Make that 34. I have two Grahams, and while I own one Camnitz, I know of another of the same pose.

James Feagin told me of an E98 that had McCormick's stamp on it, but I'm not familiar with that issue at all. He asked me if I was aware of any other issues, but that was the first I heard of anything other than t206s.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Anthony S.

Cool story, Ed. Not sure if I have a Howie, but I'll check my set when I get home next week, and if I do you're welcome to it.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Sean BH

That's a pretty cool collection of cards.

The time to comb eBay to find the stamp must be a full time job?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

I usually spend the lunch hour of my full-time job going through newly listed. Do the same thing when I get home from my part-time job (usually between 10 and midnight most nights). Then again when I get up in the morning (between 6 and 7). But it helps that so many here on the board know of my quest, as quite often, I'll get an e-mail letting me know of one before I see it.

I truly can't say thanks enough to those who are out there helping me.

Ed

Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Interesting way to collect. Congratulations on your success!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Matt

Ed - do you also email all the sellers who only post front scans and get back scans? Your dedication is incredible!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Bob

That's a cool way to collect. I know I started trying to buy up Lionel Carter 1938 Goudeys thinking I might be able to keep them together but they are scattered over the winds, so I stopped. I do have 6 or 7 of the toughest ones in the SGC Carter holders though.
Good luck!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Not to hijack, but wait.

Lionel Carter 1938 Goudeys?

When did they hit the market? I've wanted one since I found out about them! I thought the complete set was kept together?

-Al

Old 05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Brad L.

Wow, that is a very cool way to collect these cards. It adds a whole other level of nostalgia to collecting. And very cool that you have some info on the original collector. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: barry arnold

Wow, Ed!
Great slide show and wonderful singleminded collection!!!
Great seeing my ole Pattee there with you.
all the best,

barry

Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Bob

Al- Sorry, my goof (I do collect 38 Goudeys) I meant the Tattoo Orbit set.
tbob (A mind is a terrible thing to waste)

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Scott M

Ed,

That is a great idea for a collecting focus and you've made really great progress on it.

I love the thought that you are putting together a collection of cards that was likely together nearly 100 years ago.

Continued luck in finding and acquiring more examples!

Scott

Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: Jeff Schwarz

Ed,
You inspired me to look at my set and I have Lundgren - Cubs with a Piedmont back and a Howe stamp. It was exciting. Email me at coachjeff1@aol.com to discuss. Also found 2 others with different stamps on them. Hope I can help!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Default One year later

Posted By: jay wolt

Ed - Very impressive
what a neat & unique way to collect.
If I run across any I will let you know.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Default One year later

Like I've said, the folks here on the board are a great help to me in trying to find these. Just another example. e-mail sent.
Ed