NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Default PSA --> SGC Crossover Results

Posted By: Dan Paradis

I sent in 38 PSA cards (T206, Exhibits, Yuengling's, Tharp's, R316, Fan Craze, T3, CJ) for crossover to SGC.

Results:
Same grade: 17
Up .5: 3
Up 1: 1
Down .5: 3
Down 1: 8
Down (not sure because I had min. grade req): 6

So overall 17 of the 38 cards were graded lower by SGC. Only 4 cards were graded higher (and 3 of them were only 1/2 a grade higher).

I had one card (1914 CJ) that was previously graded a GAI 4, then crossed over to a PSA 4 but did not crossover to SGC50.

Overall I was very disappointed. However, after looking at the SGC results I could not argue with their grades.

Dan

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks for posting these results...as bad as they are it gives us an idea of what is going on. I was speaking to the owner of quite a few PSA Registry sets last night, many of them the best there are, and he has had all of his cards crossed over to SGC. He also was disappointed at some of the findings but totally agreed with SGC. He had the #1 E90-1 set and said he was thinking about giving all of the flips back to PSA but then said....what's the point? He is done with PSA......Fortunately I barely ever sent anything to them. High grade PSA cards will eventually suffer due to their issues, imho..... If you are in the inner circle in the hobby you will know where card doctors send their wares.....PSA. All of that said I do think that most PSA cards are good....I personally don't trust them though.......regards

Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

I have been meaning to post these here, add my results. I decided to switch half my collection (keeping mostly 1950-1970 with PSA) to SGC after the whole half grade mess. That said I had been thinking hard about switching for a while because of inconsistent grading and that was the spark I need to change over.

Here are my results, 3/4 of the sub were 1921-1937 exhibits, with the remainer a mix of T100, T205-07, couple E93, and a few other misc vintage. Total 65 cards in 3 Subs, here are my results.

Total Cards sent in- 65 (100%)
Crossover same grade- 39 (60%)
Crossover Minus .5-one grade 13 (20%)
Crossover Plus .5-one grade 12 (18%)
Did Not cross 1 (02%)

Old 05-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Recently crossed over my entire E90-1 set into Sgc holders.
Had (29) Psa cards to cross for completion. Results were:

Down 1 grade - 3
Stayed the same - 18
Up one grade - 5
Didn't cross - 3

Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

"He had the #1 E90-1 set and said he was thinking about giving all of the flips back to PSA but then said....what's the point? He is done with PSA....."

The point is to lessen the inaccuracies of the population reports. Regardless of whether he is using PSA, pop reports affect everybody in the hobby.
JimB

Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

This is definately my worry with crossing stuff from PSA as well....I posted this yesterday as the card I most want to cross, does anyone feel this will get a 50? Would probably be better if I busted it out...but honestly at this price range I can't bring myself to do that...I hope not a SGC 40 anyway...

Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That should cross to a 50 from the looks of it. Just put on your form that you want the same or higher grade....which I think was explained in another current thread. regards

Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Closer view-

Old 05-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Dave - no reason to bust it out - many of us have gotten bumps on cross-overs without cracking out - so SGC seems to not be biased by the number on the case.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

I think you will get an SGC 50 for sure, that card looks very solid with only a little corner wear.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

Looks like a 50 to me, can you see any wrinkles? I would think that would be the only thing that wouldn't cross it to 50...heck it might be a PSA 4.5?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Paradis

1. I strongly believe that SGC grades the card what it should be (regardless of the PSA/GAI grade). So I believe cracking cards out of PSA/GAI case is a waste of time (and a risk you don't need to take).
2. I really want all my pre-1930 cards all SGC. So I'm going to start treating PSA cards like I do GAI when I buy. I going to assume 1 grade lower when pricing the card (along with checking the card out more thoroughly).
3. The cards that didn't cross over and I had minimum grade requirements will be sold on EBAY soon. I'll have to replace them with SGC cards.

I'm not trying to bash PSA. It's more that I think more highly of SGC and their grading standards. I will consider these results as I purchase cards from SGC and PSA in the future.

Dan