NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Default T207 Napoleon Back's

Posted By: Donald Johnson

I was just going over some old posts that detailed the relative rarity of the different T207 backs and compared some of the lists on the old posts to the SGC Pop reports and I was surprised to find that Napoleon's seemed to be significantly rarer (at least graded examples) than either Broadleaf or Cycle backs. For example there are around 130+ graded T207 Cycle backed cards yet there are only 46 or so graded Napoleon backs. Is this just a function of people just not grading a fairly common back or are Napoleons significantly rarer than thought before? I couldn't find any detailed info on Anonymous backs in the SGC pop reports either.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think the Napoleans are more scarce, going by the seat of my pants in what I see, and are possibly tougher than we think? One thing to keep in mind is that more things get graded when they get sold and more Cylcles get sold, due to the beautiful red backs and the price they bring. That could be a reason for the disparity in the numbers graded...regards

Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Donald- because the red Cycle backs appear only in the scarce card series and the Napoleons appear in the more common "Recruit" series, Napoleons don't have the premium they should. leon is correct when he says the red Cycle backs because of eye appeal bring more than Broadleafs or Anonymous, despite the fact they aren't scarcer within the "scarce card set". Clear as mud? I don't even want to get in to the fact that the really rare back in the set (other than the Red Cross) is the OTHER Anonymous back, well, that is a story for another day. Suffice it to say that if you have a Johnson, Tinker, Chance, Speaker, Bender or Bresnahan with a Napoleon back, you can expect the card to bring far more than what the SMR or any guide sets forth.
tbob

Old 12-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Donald Johnson

I just found it interesting that the Napoleon's for being supposedly "common backs" are graded at about a 1 to 20 ratio compared to the more regular Recruit backs ie over 1000+ regular Recruit backs graded in SGC's pop report to only around 50 or so Napoleon backs. Might be as Leon surmised that people just haven't bothered getting them graded...

Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

My population survey and article in VCBC made much the same point-- Napoleons are very scarce compared to Recruits but so far they haven't gotten the premium.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Thanks for the reminder that it was you that did that exhaustive T207 study in the last VCBC. That was a great piece of work.