NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Default The Tattered Faded Worn Pennants Thread

Hi and welcome to the Tattered, Faded, Worn, Stained, or Otherwise Seasoned Pennants Thread! I will refer to these pennants of course by the obvious and catchy acronym TFWSOOSPs.

Anyone who has a TFWSOOSP please post pictures here! I would love to see them!

What exactly do I look for in a TFWSOOP? What makes a great TFWSOOP? I will share my vast experience, as I have been collecting for about a month now, which is probably a month longer than anyone else has collected TFWSOOP, since no one else knew this acronym until now. I will show you a couple of nice ones to start. (I also have some poor ones). The best example I have so far is not a baseball pennant, but a Knicks one, the first pennant I bought. Almost perfect amount of tatter, nice even heavy fading and wear, graphics still crisp and clear, logo is clear and classic, but also is outdated giving it that vintage look.

The other one is a Reds one --pretty nice wear and fade, a bit of nice cracking on the letters, nice font, this one would be a prime TFWSOOP also, but for the unfortunate original design. Why someone thought a splatter design that looks like a giant pile of bird poop landed on the pennant was a good idea I have no idea.

I've been scouring ebay for a month, but TFWSOOPs are hard to find! I guess all you collectors hoard them and they probably mostly only exchange hands in private sales. I would like to see some nice ones if anyone has them, as I'm sure other TFWSOOP collectors would also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0346[1].jpg (81.2 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0366[1].jpg (75.6 KB, 328 views)

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards
Old 04-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Mike Kendall

I would love to upgrade this one but nice ones don’t show up very often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D5495113-4D05-4AB0-9379-69289135F520.jpg (12.3 KB, 269 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 04-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Rob

Damned moths. Again, a VERY tough pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0459.jpg (69.8 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2826.jpg (75.4 KB, 262 views)
Old 04-29-2018, 06:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rob-

How you kept that one in-tact, while cramming it into a rigid sleeve is beyond me. That must have taken equal parts magic and patience. Very impressed!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Bob Andrews

IMG_1850.jpg

Timely thread. I've been spending the weekend re-arranging my hobby room/office. New desk, shelving etc. This pennant was crammed in a box in the closet. I'd thought it was lost. My Dad bought this for me the first time he took me to Yankee Stadium to see my Orioles play his Yankees. Circa 1961.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Default Nice!

Those are some really nice TWFSOOS pennants! The Cubs one looks almost perfect! I figured you long-time collectors would be hoarding some nice ones. I guess it makes sense for security reasons to not display the best pennants, like the Orioles one, but it is kind of a shame to keep those hidden away.

Not sure what that comment was about upgrading? A typo? Don't see how you could go possibly upgrade from that one.

Well, I can't compete with those, so I'll show one that isn't nearly as nice, but due to its unique coloring, may be one of a kind! Plus I got it for about the cost of shipping!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0365.jpg (75.5 KB, 185 views)

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards
Old 05-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Selling this one if anyone is interested. Thought it was from the 1955 others think it may be 1959. PM me if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgers pennant.jpg (8.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 PM
chris

Cool pennants everyone and a great thread. Speaking of the threads, part of this one is barely hanging on by a thread, but I still love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171209_211043.jpg (76.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Marc

Default Pennant holes

First of all, Rob wins for the 1951 Giants pennant. It really looks like there is some kind of mysterious force holding that thing together. Maybe just a bunch of static.

Attached is a picture of a 5 foot long pennant taken from Santa Clara, CA to New Zealand by the All Blacks rugby team after they defeated the Santa Clara team. Something chewed on it at some point in its 100 or so year life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCU large pennant.jpg (68.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
First of all, Rob wins for the 1951 Giants pennant. It really looks like there is some kind of mysterious force holding that thing together. Maybe just a bunch of static.
LOL...Oddly the spine and tassels are in great shape.

My contribution...Sad to say, I had to let this one go.

image host
Old 05-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Not as old as some of the ones shown, but I haven't seen another one yet to replace this great pennant.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saginaw Gears Dirty Pennant.jpg (77.6 KB, 74 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post

Attached is a picture of a 5 foot long pennant taken from Santa Clara, CA to New Zealand by the All Blacks rugby team after they defeated the Santa Clara team. Something chewed on it at some point in its 100 or so year life.
Great pennant. How did it make it's way from NZ back to you?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
My contribution...Sad to say, I had to let this one go.

image host
A picture really is worth a thousand words. I totally know what that "felt" must feel like. That is an awesome pennant...love the boots, spurs and hard hat.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Great pennant. How did it make it's way from NZ back to you?
I found the pennant for sale online, at an antique store in NZ that specialized. They had other pennants from a west coast trip, but I only bought this one. This was back before everything in the world ended up on eBay.