NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Default Tommy Henrich passed away today at age 96

Just heard this news a few minutes ago and recalled a thread a few weeks ago about his being ill. I enjoyed speaking to him at an event about 20 years ago. He was a fine ballplayer and a gentleman.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:00 PM

My condolences.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Chris Counts

Default Rest in peace, Old Reliable

About five years ago I was visiting someone in a rest home in Monterey and, on a whim, I asked a nurse, "Are there any old ballplayers living here?" She told me, "Yes, there's a man here they call 'Old Reliable." I rushed down to the nearest sporting goods store I could find to buy a ball, which he graciously signed ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhibithenrich.jpg (49.7 KB, 233 views)
Old 12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Jon Canfield

RIP Tommy

Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Chris Counts

NEW YORK (AP)—Tommy Henrich, nicknamed “Old Reliable” for his knack of delivering clutch hits for the New York Yankees, died Tuesday. He was 96.

Henrich died in Dayton, Ohio, the team said.

Henrich was a five-time All-Star outfielder who joined the Yankees in 1937 and finished in 1950, winning four World Series championships. He missed three seasons while serving in the Coast Guard during World War II.

Henrich hit the first game-ending home run in World Series history, leading off the bottom of the ninth inning with a drive against Don Newcombe to beat Brooklyn 1-0 in the 1949 opener.

“He was extremely good in big games, games that meant something,” former teammate and family friend Bobby Brown told The Associated Press by telephone from his home in Texas.

“If we were ahead 10-1 or 10-2, he was just average. If we were behind 10-1 or 10-2, same thing. But get him in a big game and he was terrific,” Brown said. “We didn’t call him ‘Old Reliable.’ We just knew he was ‘Old Reliable.”’

Yet Henrich’s most famous at-bat may’ve been a time when he didn’t hit the ball.

In Game 4 of the 1941 Series against the Dodgers, Henrich struck out to seemingly end the game. But Brooklyn catcher Mickey Owen dropped the third strike, and Henrich raced safely to first base.

Given another chance, the Yankees rallied for four runs in the ninth inning for a 7-4 win and a 3-1 Series edge.

Henrich hit .282 with 183 home runs and 795 RBIs. He twice led the American League in triples and topped the AL by scoring 138 runs in 1948. Late in his career, he moved from right field and finished as a part-time first baseman.

Henrich played in the World Series in 1938, 1941, 1947 and 1949, and won championships every time. He hit one home run in each Series.

“I am saddened by the loss of Tommy Henrich, who was truly one of my personal favorites,” commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. “‘Old Reliable’ was beloved by his Yankee teammates.”

Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra and Whitey Ford were among Henrich’s Hall of Fame teammates. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, pitcher Virgil Trucks is now believed to be the oldest living Yankee at 92 years.

Henrich was born in Massillon, Ohio, a city known for its football prowess, and was longtime friends with famed coach Paul Brown. After retiring, Henrich was a coach with the Yankees, New York Giants and Detroit Tigers.

Bobby Brown had stayed in touch with Henrich, and said he last saw him about four years ago. Brown said he got a phone call from Henrich’s daughter on Tuesday informing him of the death.

“Tommy was a darn good ballplayer and teammate,” Berra said in a statement released by the team. “He always took being a Yankee to heart.”

“When I came up in 1947, he taught me little nuances about playing the outfield. Being around Tommy made you feel good, whether playing cards or listening to him sing with that great voice. He was a proud man, and if you knew him, he made you proud, too,” Berra said.

Henrich hit a career-high 31 home runs in 1941 and had 100 RBIs in 1948.

A private memorial service is scheduled for Saturday.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1941 PB Henrich [Front].jpg (23.3 KB, 166 views)
Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM
FredYoung

I'm truly saddened to hear this! My greatest thrill EVER w/ an ex-ballplayer was mentioned in the recent thread.

How ironic, after his being mentioned as in failing health and the recent discussion of him, that he should pass so soon after! I had an eerie bad feeling I can't explain that it was going to happen!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Joe P.

Default They're all up there now .....

My favorite outfield.

King Kong Keller ..... Joltin Joe ..... "Ol' Reliable" Tommy Henrich.

I can hear Mel Allan calling out his name up there ..... and here comes Ol Reliable to bat, bottom of the ninth, tying run on base ..... "Now how about that."
Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Barry Arnold

Default t h

one of the giants of the game is now gone.
a sad day but a day to remember the best he had to offer.

barry
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Tommy Henrich...."Old Reliable"

GOD Bless Tommy Henrich

What can you say when a guy strikes out in the 9th inning of a World Series game, which then allows his team to go on to win
this pivotal game in the Series ? That's what you call "clutch swinging". Everyone surely knows of Tommy's famous "3rd strike"
passed ball play 68 years ago in 4th game of the 1941 World Series (Yankees vs Dodgers).
Tommy, indeed, was one of the best clutch hitters to ever play the game. And, certainly one of the most reliable hitters when
his teammates were in scoring position that I remember seeing from 1947 to 1951.

.......................1941 PLAY BALL.............................................. ....1950 ROYAL............................................. ....1949 LEAF
[linked image]
....................1949................Bowman.... .......1950....................................... ..1943 M & P....................................1950 DRAKE's

TED Z
Old 12-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Frank Wakefield

A solid, dependable ballplayer. A good guy. A shame some of today's guys couldn't emulate him. Well wishes to his family, friends, and fans.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Barry Sloate

I would guess that the number of players surviving who appeared in the 1939-40-41 Play Balls is now a very short list. Does anybody know who is still left?

Virgil Trucks, who is 92, is now the oldest living Yankee.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-02-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I think that Bobby Doerr might be the only living HOFer on a Playball card.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Tim

My only Tommy Henich card and, yes, Bobby Doerr is still alive and well in Oregon. He'll be 92 next April 7th, and is the oldest living HOF'er.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henrich39.jpg (60.6 KB, 28 views)