NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Default Question Regarding Old Judge Cards...

Hi. I am new here and wanted to present a question(s) for the vintage crowd. I recently acquired an Old Judge Dan Brouthers. I then had it graded and it was slabbed a 1.5 and should be arriving back today. In terms of the HOFers in the set, what's the rarity on Brouthers's cards in the set? I cannot really gather pricing information aside from vintagecardprices.com which has only tracked a couple sales over the last few years. Another thing is regarding the "PL" variation because I have the bat over shoulder - Bostons one, but it is extremely faded. I heard the "PL" would be in lower right corner of the player photo, but it is faded so it is hard to see. Secondly, it is very sepia-toned with no red tinging at all. Thirdly, despite the fading, were the team names on the jersey removed by Goodwin on the PL variations? Brouthers position on the card doesn't show much of the team name on the uniform, but it looks less dark than the others I have seen. I will get a scan up when it arrives, but I wanted to know the facts about the Brouthers card ahead of time. Sorry for the long read, but it is hard finding all the facts in one place about old judge. Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by AK11; 07-29-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Dan Bretta

Dan Brouthers is one of the easier hall of famers in the set.....but the PL variation I'm sure is very hard to find. I'm at work so I don't have the book handy, but if you are interested in collecting Old Judges the book put out by Jay Miller, Joe Gonsowski and Richard Masson a year or so back is a must have.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Bruce Babcock

Ditto everything Dan said. It might be fun to see how many Brouthers poses NET 54ers own. Here's mine.

Most OJs do not have the pinkish hue.

Here's one that does, 100%.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Dan Bretta

My Brouthers...also my very first prewar card. My dad found three OJ's in a scrapbook and gave them to me when I was about 13 or 14.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Anyone who does read this post, please feel free to post your Brouthers N172. I would love to see other ones. I do not plan on buying multiple OJ's, so I did research on which player I would want one of. I would love a Delahanty, but those are way out of my price range. Brouthers fit my description of a great slugger from the set and definitely more in my price range. I found this one ungraded for $167 so I thought it would do just fine. I am still waiting on FedEx to deliver my graded cards . Thanks,

Andrew
Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Barry Sloate

Bruce's mention of a "pinkish hue" is of course a Seinfeld reference.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Here's my newly slabbed Big Dan :

I heard the PL designation should be in the right lower corner of the player photo but there is clearly 2 block letters in the lower left corner with one looking like an 'L'. The lettering at the bottom of the player photo does not match a Boston variation Brouthers I found on ebay. Can anybody post a photo of the Brouthers PL variation? I would hate to buy the book for one card to photo match. There is no photos on the web at all of a Brouthers PL. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Andrew
Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Your example dates to 1889. I've attached a low resolution and un-cleaned variant of what can be found on page 127 of the OJ book. The 1887 and 1889 examples are most common followed by 1888 with the 1890 PL card extremely tough.

Of the 27 HOFers in the set, Brouthers is amongst the easiest. Congrats on your new purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 years of Brouthers v2.jpg (52.7 KB, 188 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Your example dates to 1889. I've attached a low resolution and un-cleaned variant of what can be found on page 127 of the OJ book. The 1887 and 1889 examples are most common followed by 1888 with the 1890 PL card extremely tough.

Of the 27 HOFers in the set, Brouthers is amongst the easiest. Congrats on your new purchase.
Thank you so much for posting these card photos from the book. I finally know what I have thanks to you. I think mine is a 1887 though because that's the year printed on mine like the one you showed 3rd from the left. I was just happy mine graded without being trimmed or altered since I bought it raw. It came down to Brouthers or Delahanty for the players I chose to pursue after researching the checklist and the players' stats. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a Delahanty, so the Brouthers will remain in my pc until another N172 comes along within my price range and relatively more eye appealing.

Quick question for you: what's the price range on my copy in the fair grade it is in? There is not enough tracked sales for me to judge what it's value is.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Rhett Yeakley

The 1887 date is the copyright of the photo not the card. The 1887 style is that of the far left in Joe's photo's. The 1888 style is next and the 1889 and 1890 have the "Cigarette Factory" line at bottom. Thus your is an 1889, not 1887

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Joe M.

These are mine.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brouthers Bat On.jpg (42.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Brouthers.jpg (47.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 07-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Keith O'Leary

Heres mine. As was said, as far as HOFers go, not a hard one to find. This is the pose I've seen the most of.