NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2017, 05:39 PM

Default PWCC I want to bid but.... I just can't!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Topps-P...53.m1431.l2649

Look at the percentages of bids of the top 3 bidders of each of these auctions with this seller.....

NO THANKS!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 PM

I'm with ya, will never do it. Especially out of principle
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

It's been a couple weeks since we've had a PWCC thread. I guess we were overdue
Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
LOL,but it has been a very long time since we had a Probstein thread. Rick should send PWCC a very nicely worded thank you card. He should send Betsy a huge check for all her help. The BS letter PWCC posted all over the net and Betsy making BS excuses has taken all the heat off Rick.

Last edited by bnorth; 09-14-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The very fact that the issue comes up over and over again pretty much emphasizes the problem IMO.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

80% of my bids on eBay are prob with PWCC. I just don't see the higher grade cards on eBay very often I am looking for. Except the ones that are BINs in the stratosphere. I've bought Gehrig and Ruth's with PWCC at mid grade higher than 1s and As that have been sitting for years with bloated BINs.
I guess I am part of the problem.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-13-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Fight the urge

Feel the Force, Dan. Don't do it!
Old 09-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
80% of my bids on eBay are prob with PWCC. I just don't see the higher grade cards on eBay very often I am looking for. Except the ones that are BINs in the stratosphere. I've bought Gehrig and Ruth's with PWCC at mid grade higher than 1s and As that have been sitting for years with bloated BINs.
Stuff trumps all, eh?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

The 26 bid retraction guy, which is supposedly against PWCC rules, won this Mantle card.
Take a look at his bidding percentage as well. I wonder if any money will be exchanging hands for this card?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-M...p2047675.l2557
Old 09-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Scott Russell

Forget PWCC, I HATE the fact that this printing issue has been legitimized. Almost as bad as the Gene Bakep.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Stuff trumps all, eh?
If I need a card and can get it for what I think is a good price, why do I care one whit what other people's motives are?

I assume there is just as much if not more fraud in most AH auctions. The only difference is you have a bit more transparency in eBay auctions.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-13-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If I need a card and can get it for what I think is a good price, why do I care one whit what other people's motives are?

I assume there is just as much if not more fraud in most AH auctions. The only difference is you have a bit more transparency in eBay auctions.
Just observing, not judging, but there in a microcosm is why nothing will ever change in the hobby.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Nothing will change because people are people. Many people will scheme and defraud. Not all of them. Is like trying to do away with insider stock trading. You could prosecute 100 people a day and people will try to do it. Or insurance fraud. Not everyone is a dishonest person but many are. Not sure why anyone would think baseball card collecting would be any different. Seems like auctions in any area run the risk of a lot of fraud.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

whatever helps you sleep ...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Ne@l K

PWCC is really one of the only games in eBay town that offer true auctions with really, really nice material for all collecting levels and interest. Really nice material.

I think that is the number one reason that the hammer prices are high/ridiculous. Probstein gets nice material, just not PWCC material. I was outbid on a Ruth the other night (closed at 5200) and thought that if the same card was offered by most everyone else, it would have a BIN of 6K plus.

Yes, there are some issues with PWCC auctions, but like Mr. Spaeth says, "stuff trumps all."

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
The 26 bid retraction guy, which is supposedly against PWCC rules, won this Mantle card.
Take a look at his bidding percentage as well. I wonder if any money will be exchanging hands for this card?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-M...p2047675.l2557
They didn't even bother with an explanation this time. Oh well, if I were they I wouldn't either.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
PWCC is really one of the only games in eBay town that offer true auctions with really, really nice material for all collecting levels and interest. Really nice material.

I think that is the number one reason that the hammer prices are high/ridiculous. Probstein gets nice material, just not PWCC material. I was outbid on a Ruth the other night (closed at 5200) and thought that if the same card was offered by most everyone else, it would have a BIN of 6K plus.

Yes, there are some issues with PWCC auctions, but like Mr. Spaeth says, "stuff trumps all."
debatable
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
debatable
+1 .....many people run auctions....
Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
whatever helps you sleep ...
What helps me to sleep is a PWCC thread. Bores my right to sleep. Good night! Zzzzzz!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

People who consign with them are the problem.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
People who consign with them are the problem.
They are only part of the problem.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
They are only part of the problem.
Who is john Galt?

Who is Ben North?

We are.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Scott Russell

I always thought the problems were pretty simple. People who pervert the process, whether through actively abusing the system or allowing the abuse to occur.

I have consigned stuff to them and I didn't shill my items, they sold for reasonable prices, very low by PWCC standards. That was the eye-opener for me that there must be SOME reason the identical cards go for more for other consignors.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:06 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
+++ Me too. In my world, the percentage bid thing is fake news. Means nothing. Focus on retractions, that what is killing e-bay.

I think some folks think we have endless hours to search e-bay for those half of one percent BINS that are priced within reason. Not happening.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
I always thought the problems were pretty simple. People who pervert the process, whether through actively abusing the system or allowing the abuse to occur.

I have consigned stuff to them and I didn't shill my items, they sold for reasonable prices, very low by PWCC standards. That was the eye-opener for me that there must be SOME reason the identical cards go for more for other consignors.
Well you are likely the exception. I think many of their consignors and defenders shill their auctions. It is an illusion that they get higher prices for honest consignors.

Last edited by slipk1068; 09-13-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

I shouldn't read about problems in the hobby. I get too emotional. I just wish those who claim to want to help fix problems in the hobby, actually mean what they say.

Last edited by slipk1068; 09-13-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:53 PM

See a card you are interested in. Figure out how much you are willing to bid. Put in a bid. If you get it great. If you don't, you don't .
Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
See a card you are interested in. Figure out how much you are willing to bid. Put in a bid. If you get it great. If you don't, you don't .
But what can be done about the fraud? Should we care? Fraud is reflected in some, likely most prices.

Last edited by slipk1068; 09-13-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
I shouldn't read about problems in the hobby. I get too emotional. I just wish those who claim to want to help fix problems in the hobby, actually mean what they say.
I'm with you, and I fight to keep my little corner clean.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Yep.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Al Richter

Old 09-14-2017, 04:59 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Yep.

I'll still call em out in the end after the consignor sniped their hidden reserve. It seems like a rash if new bidders, with "retractionsunder 10" and less than 100 feedback are buying $1000 cards. It must be new money flowing into the hibby

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Sure many of these consigners exchange info with each other and "support" each others auctions. And if they look like they might accidentally "win" something they panic and then retract. I'm not sure what exactly PWCC can really do to eliminate all this. Sure they can ban particularly egregious examples of serial retractors.

As others have also pointed out, I have no doubt that retractions are done by some folks who really want to make it appear like an auction is polluted so others stay away. Lots of these guys have 3, 4, and 5 ebay accounts. Lots of game playing. Problem is the eBay platform and not PWCC.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-14-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post

Look at the percentages of bids of the top 3 bidders of each of these auctions with this seller.....

NO THANKS!
Just bidding with a few sellers doesn't bother me as much as the retractions. On these 2 shown I don't see a big problem. For the record I won 3 cards from PWCC a few days ago and all were well below my max snipe amounts. They weren't 30k cards though and no one was "protecting" them the way some auctions look to be manipulated.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Sorry. Double post.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Sorry. Double post.
and of course I just now deleted your other one ...as you were deleting this one....try again?

Last edited by Leon; 09-14-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:34 AM
qu@n nguy3n

we all know fair market value...i'd rather snipe an amount i'm willing to buy (in the small off chance i'm being shilled) in pwcc or probstein then try to negotiate with a seller that has a 3-4x asking price of FMV. at least there's a chance i will own the card with the auction.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:24 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Am I the only one that see the erasure of the a. This is a altered card. Not sure of how to put it nicer. Reminds me of the Nodgrass T206 Variation that is so commonly altered

Member since 2009
Old 09-14-2017, 01:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Am I the only one that see the erasure of the a. This is a altered card. Not sure of how to put it nicer. Reminds me of the Nodgrass T206 Variation that is so commonly altered
I am pretty sure the Pancho cards are not altered. They are just a simple printing error. No experience, just a wild guess.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Scott Russell

It is not erased, an erasure wouldn't leave a perfect blue field, it is a print error.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Forget PWCC, I HATE the fact that this printing issue has been legitimized. Almost as bad as the Gene Bakep.
I agree the bakep is absurd as are the 1967 white streak cards but what should they call this? there are enough of these that i fee it absolutely should be catalogued in my opinion. I say this as someone who does not own a Herrer but does own probably 10-12 Bakep variations.

Last edited by glynparson; 09-15-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I agree the bakep is absurd as are the 1967 white streak cards but what should they call this? there are enough of these that i fee it absolutely should be catalogued in my opinion. I say this as someone who does not own a Herrer but does own probably 10-12 Bakep variations.
Butterfly Namath too.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hey Al that misprint Herrera rocks!

Admitted card whore here: I bid with PWCC and Probstein when the item is right. One bid via snipe. Won an item a few weeks ago from PWCC for substantially less than my snipe. Won a Probstein item the other day. also well below my max. Do I get shilled? Probably. Though it is far less likely with the items I go after (boxing cards). My competitors on the last several items I've won have been large feedback bidders with no retractions.

I think the shilling will ultimately hurt PWCC. It is gradually scaring away bidders. I know that for anything mainstream I would want from them I throw out a snipe well below market and let it play out. There are so many specimens of mainstream cards that there is no need to bid strong with PWCC. Another one will surface. Truthfully, the key is not to get invested emotionally in the outcome of the auction. It will drive you crazy otherwise.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I think we all share some type of responsibility in fighting fraud in the hobby. What did Frank Nagy say -The Hobby tomorrow is only as good as we make it today?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Mike

If the sites would block anyone with more than 2 retractions that would help. If they get a new user id again only 2 retractions blocked again. Then it's up to ebay to stop additional usernames from the same address or computer address. Maybe on ebay a seller could block anyone with several changes in userid within a year. I'm not a computer guy so I don't know what else can be done. Any ideas from the computer software field ?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Then it's up to ebay to stop additional usernames from the same address or computer address.
The thing I see about this is where multiple adults live in the same place, but each has there own account. My sister has five adults live at her house, share a computer, but each have their own account. Same shipping address, same IP address, but legitimate different accounts.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-15-2017, 03:09 PM

I am following a PWCC eBay auction in which a bidder with 80% of his bids with PWCC has made minimum incremental bids to reach and surpass existing high bid. What is the likelihood he is a shill bidder? Should I bring this to PWCC's attention?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Given all the smart experts on this board who could make sure the PSA and SGC holders are not tampered with, what stops the members of this board from starting an auction house? The distribution seems like the biggest hurdle, but if you are going to have members of this baord, it seems like the social networking there can get the collectors onboard. Then we would just have to find the brokers that lead to the non-hardcore collectors who seem to be buying cards for other reasons.

Seriously, why can't a few of us just team up and make an honest auction house? It can't be that difficult, can it?
Old 12-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
Given all the smart experts on this board who could make sure the PSA and SGC holders are not tampered with, what stops the members of this board from starting an auction house? The distribution seems like the biggest hurdle, but if you are going to have members of this baord, it seems like the social networking there can get the collectors onboard. Then we would just have to find the brokers that lead to the non-hardcore collectors who seem to be buying cards for other reasons.

Seriously, why can't a few of us just team up and make an honest auction house? It can't be that difficult, can it?
Been done, It's called Love of The Game
Old 12-15-2017, 04:06 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Been done, It's called Love of The Game
How is it doing? What are its biggest hurdles?