NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Rich Klein

Default re: Frank Barning -- slightly OT

As some of you may know; before I went to work for Beckett Publications in 1990; I had been doing a lot of work with Baseball Hobby News.

I wrote some articles; set up with the ubiquitous fish bowl at many shows within a 2 hour range of NY City to get votes for their contest and hawked papers through many NJ stores.

Recently; I contributed a nice rememberence to those days at BHN through my column (at least until I run out of rememberences) at SporteCollectorsDaily.Com

In return, I got a tremendous email from Frank; who has been blogging for years now and is ready to start blogging about his baseball card days both as a child and from his time at BHN. Frank does have one advantage over me; he can write with eloquence. Trust me; I'm very honored to have insipired Frank to return to his hobby roots.

In our email chats; he is looking to increase readership of his blog, and frankly this is a great board to publicize him

So: Here is the link to his blog; hope you enjoy reading his (and other long-time hobbyists stories). The lead story is currently one written by one Mike Berkus, father of the National.

http://barnstormingwithfrankbarning.blogspot.com/

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 09-22-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 PM

I had a relative that helped run a monthly BB card show at the Golden Gate Motel in Brooklyn for several years in the 70,s and as a teenager I helped set up the show and my face got well known so many dealers would ask me to sit their tables while they went to get something to eat and I would usually get "paid" in the form of a card that I needed. I remember Frank and his wife Vivian when they started their paper BHN. They were 2 of the nicest people at the shows. I knew they relocated from Nassau County to San Diego but it is great to hear that Frank is doing well. CN
Old 09-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Rich Klein

Default Vivian is doing just fine as well :)

Rich
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Richard Cline

It's good to hear that both Frank and Vivian are doing well, while I never met either of them, my uncle used to sell/distribute the Baseball Hobby News in this part of Ohio. I helped him and as I remember, I was paid in cards.

It was interesting work doing cold calls on hobby shops and showing them the BHN as well as card packs to sell. We started off with giving them some freebies and then they were hooked as they saw how easily both the cards and the BHN would sell.

Good memories.

RC
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Joe M.

Frank & Vivian setup at the Plymouth, Michigan many times. My daughter's photo was in one issue from one of those shows.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Rich,

Thank you for posting that. I lost track of Frank and Vivian when they stopped selling on ebay a few years ago. I met both of them when they moved to San Diego in 1982, and would see them at all the shows in/around town, and would usually find something interesting to buy from them.

I've yet to meet two nicer people in the hobby.

It's great to see they're both doing well.

Steve
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 PM

Nice to hear they are doing well.
I haven't thought about Baseball hobby News in years
I started collecting as a 10 yr old in '76
and kept it up until the 1990's.
I got back into it 5 or so years ago.
Pretty much kept alot of my cards.

I read everything possible back then
missed the publications.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Thanks for posting this Rich-I always enjoyed his columns and articles and remember BHN well. Glad he and Vivian are doing well.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I was interviewed by Frank for SCD years ago when he was doing his collectors corner column. Great guy and i met him a couple of times at bigger shows (incl. the national). Glad to see he is coming back.

Joshua
Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Nick Edson

Default Barnings are great people

For many years, I was fortunate enough to write a monthly column in Baseball Hobby News called The Inside Pitch. I got to know Frank and Vivian well and they were first-class people. Frank and I would often have long coast-to-coast discussions about the hobby, since he would call my Traverse City (MI) home from San Diego. Frank loves the hobby. I'll always treasure his friendship.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Joe M.

Hi Nick, glad to see you are still active in the Hobby. Remember those Plymouth shows?

Joe maples

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 PM

Default Hello Nick !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalineman View Post
For many years, I was fortunate enough to write a monthly column in Baseball Hobby News called The Inside Pitch. I got to know Frank and Vivian well and they were first-class people. Frank and I would often have long coast-to-coast discussions about the hobby, since he would call my Traverse City (MI) home from San Diego. Frank loves the hobby. I'll always treasure his friendship.
I loved your column in BHN, especially the "Wiffle Ball" one. Don't know if you remember me, but I traded you a bunch of Chip Hilton books you needed.
Take care.
Matt
Old 09-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Nick Edson

Default Hi Joe and Matt

Joe, those old Detroit shows were so memorable - from Frank Nagy sitting there selling his 1959 Fleer sets (minus #68) for $5 and his Dad's Hockey - to talking to the late but great Don Steinbach about the hobby. He got me started on my 1952 Bowman set and then offered me the Mantle and Mays - both near mint - for a combined $70. This was in the mid 1970s. Still a lot of money for a poor college kid, but I pulled the trigger.
Matt, I sure do remember you helping me with those Chip Hilton books. A few years ago, a guy who said he was working on a Chip Hilton movie wanted to read the entire series, so he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I put together another set after that, book-by-book.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Jeff

Default Bhn

Great to hear that Frank will be blogging. I am sure they have a lot to share. They are class all the way. Nick, good to see you on the board every now and then. Also remember your articles and seeing you at Chicago area shows. You would not remember me, however.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Thanks for starting this thread Rich - the first time I met Frank and Vivian in the mid 70s they lived in Glen Cove on Long Island and he was in the beginning stages of the BHN. We set up at the same great Willow Grove and Plymouth shows.

fbarning.jpg

vbarning.jpg

At the 1999 NSCC

I believe this was the last year they setup at a National.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Frank Barning

Nick Edson, Steve Dawson, Rich Klein......takes me back to the early 1980s.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hi Frank B

Gee, we go back to March of 1981, when I first met you at the Willow Grove Show. My oh my, that was 30+ years ago.

Great to see you posting here. I still have some of my BaseBall Hobby News issues stored away, including your 1st issue.

We had a lot of fun back then and some of those great experiences at the George Washington Motor Lodge and Conven-
tion Center are still quite clear in my mind.

My best regards to Vivian,

TED Z
Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Frank Barning

Default To Ted

Great memories. I most enjoyed serious card collectors and fans such as yourself. We talked so much about Bowmans, which we both dearly love. Do you live in Las Vegas? Vivian and I moved here five years ago.

Frank at
fbarning@gmail.com

My blog . . .

Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Curt

Frank did a Barnstorming piece on my collecting interests a number of years ago. He'd apparently pick a couple guys and feature them in his column and then this would be a way to get exposure for trades and dealings you might not otherwise have.

I also used to buy a lot from Vivian on Ebay. I was a regular repeat customer and got some great items, but then she stopped selling suddenly. If she resumed, it was under a different ID.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Frank Barning

Hello. We ran out of great cards to sell. Were you buying T206s with tough backs?

Please check out . . .

Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Curt

Frank,

If that was directed at me, I was more of a modern guy. I did get a bunch of autographed stuff and various oddball stuff (BHN sets, Garvey Raisin Bran tip sets, etc). I would buy whatever caught my eye and I tended to shop a sellers listings if I found one thing I liked and eventually end up with numerous items.

I believe got a couple nice of Gil Hodges autographed photos...pretty sure those were from you, but it's been a while.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Jim R

Default Frank

Around 2003 and 2004 I believe you and Vivian just flooded the market with tough 206s. I was sending checks every weekend and was in my glory. I hated to see it end. Good thing was I was on ebay when the unloading started and also picked a few nice lots out of a certain auction house that I am sure were the Barnings lots.

I still have a ton of tough backs from those auctions -you guys almost made tough backs look like they were commons-thanks so much for the additions to my collection-remember these two

they were actually raw when I bought them

thanks so much Jim Rivera

DrumFiene.jpg

DrumFieneb.jpg

Jennings.jpg

Jenningsb.jpg

Last edited by cfc1909; 09-24-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default backs

Jim those backs are amazing !!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Barning View Post
Great memories. I most enjoyed serious card collectors and fans such as yourself. We talked so much about Bowmans, which we both dearly love. Do you live in Las Vegas? Vivian and I moved here five years ago.

Frank at
fbarning@gmail.com

My blog . . .

Frank

Really great blog of yours; and, a very nice tribute to our dear friend, Max Silberman. Max was a tremendous personality in this hobby.

Charlotte and I moved to Pennsylvania 10 years ago. When I retired, I took the great advice of a good friend....."Go west young man".
Would love to get together with you and Vivian, and reminisce about the good ole days, trading stories about our BB cards adventures
and the many, many great people we made lasting friendships with along the way.

Will you be at the National in Baltimore next summer ?

Best regards,

TED Z
Old 10-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Frank Barning

Default Looking for George Husby and Jack Urban

I am trying to connect with George Husby and Jack Urban, long-time dealers from Wisconsin. I have located Husby but have no info on Jack. I am working on a story about them for my hobby blog.

Frank Barning
Fbarning@gmail.com
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Frank Barning

Default Mission accomplished

I got the information I needed on Husby and Urban for my blog. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Frank Wakefield

Rich, thanks for getting this going!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I love the blog, lots of good information and some pieces are pretty funny.

Did not realize Frank went to Division Ave High School. A bunch of my friends went there. Really nice school.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums