NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Default What is Joe Jackson's Rookie Card?

In the Sept 2011 SMR (same one given out at National), there is an article on Joe Jackson. There is some discussion on a c.1908 Greenville Boy postcard that some claim to be his rookie card. I saw a similar thread on this here at:

Link

In that thread, it seemed like the card was also sold at a Mastro auction, so I tried to find the listing in the Legendary Auction archive, but could not. Instead I found a listing for a 1908 Philadelphia Athletics team postcard with Joe Jax here:

Link

Since Joe isn't in the Hall of Fame, he's not a part of the Old Cardboard reference. Is there a consensus on what is Jackson's rookie card or earliest known collectible? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

here's the postcard link...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=60885
Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 PM
David Pierson
Banned

uhhh....I thinks its a T206 horizontal with a ty cobb back (slabbed and authenticated by TPG gem mint 10)..................seriously though I don't know but the same question has occured to me......maybe one of our resident experts will chime in! dave
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Phil Garry

There has been a lot of debate about the origin of that postcard. If it were legitimate, it would fall under the pre-rookie umbrella as it pictures Joe in his minor league uniform. The E90-1 would be his true rookie card either way.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

what is a true rookie card?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Isn't the Philadelphia Athletics team card earlier? Or is it disqualified b/c it's a team picture?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Larry

Default The magic nature of youth, on the threshhold of a great dream!

From the '20's and earlier, the proliferation of sets seems to lend itself to grouping of earliest cards of various stars and HOF'ers, rather than a single, undisputed rookie card. See, for example, some of the previous discussions on this site re the Grove, Foxx and Cobb rookies. Will we ever really know, for example, whether Foxx's 1926-1929 Exhibits Postcard Back came before his 1929 Kashin? Or whether the W560 was actually issued in 1927, which seems unlikely, given Foxx's limited achievements to that date, or several years later, which seems to me far more likely, since 1928 and 1929 were his first years of any real significance? To me, a player's "rookie" card carries with it the somewhat romantic notion of the player in question being on the threshhold of a great dream, filled with the seemingly unlimited vitality of youth to carry him through a series of great adventures. Collectors share in the player's magical youth vicariously, and through its magnetism, it becomes, to an extent, their own through that process. After all, would you rather hold a '52 Topps Mantle (yes, I know its not his rookie!) in your hand, marveling in the feats you know he was to go on to accomplish and perhaps trying to capture a bit of that golden youth for yourself, or his last '69 Topps card, even a white letter variation, where its evident he's old and worn out, with his greatness long since having departed from the scene? But I digress.

My point is that each of several cards may quite likely achieve similar recognition as "rookie-era" cards, and which one actually came first becomes more academic than of any real concern, based on their equal ability to impart the feelings discussed above.

I don't think we lose anything by recognizing that a number of cards qualify as the player's earliest, with it sometimes being well-nigh impossible to ascertain exactly which is his earliest. They all impart that same romantic fascination as does a single rookie card, where only one exists of the player.

Just my 50 cents worth, and if the above doesn't make much sense, its because I'm writing it in the wee hours of the morning, plagued with insomnia.

You guys should know by now that either way, your feedback is appreciated.

May your collecting be filled with wonder, and may you never tire of the treasures you obtain!

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-14-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Phil Garry

I don't count team photos as rookie cards.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Christopher Herman

Found this:
http://www.gemmintauctions.com/LotDe...ckson-PSA-1-PR

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards