NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Default Careful gents, this one is not as it seems

Posted By: dan mckee

This is cut from a 4 in 1 exhibit card. Not a W517 mini.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1931-W517-2-Mini-RED-LOU-GEHRIG-ultra-rare_W0QQitemZ280072446344QQihZ018QQcategoryZ86844 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280072446344

Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Every one here knows it's bogus. SGC doesn't know that ? The subject has been beaten to death, but it still continues to blow my mind.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Thanks Dan.. I wish there could be a perminate thread or link to expose possible counterfits ands reprints. You and Frank could save thousands or people money!!!!!
This would make this board even more reason to be apart of on a daily basis... JC

Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

to break it down for us; what are the indicators that this card is not as labeled?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Dan, Is this the 1929-30 4 in 1 (postcard back), the 1930-31 4 in 1 (prize lists back) or the 1932 4 in 1 blankback?

PS, I believe I'd seen W517 minis in red stock and thought this was legit.

thanks, Steve F

Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Like Dan said it has a good chance of being cut from the very rare 4-in-1 postcard, but both the W517 Mini and the Postcard images are the same size, and the stock is the same thickness. The differences in the postcard has a slightly smoother stock than the W517 Mini.

Both cards are often grouped together because it is so tough to tell them apart unless you have a large group and can compare then in your hand (not slabbed)

The only thing that makes me think this is a cut from postcard is Im not sure the W517 mini (from strip) is found in that deep dark red color.

here is the info I have from my mini webpage
"The Mini W517-2 cards were also originally sold in vertical strips, but also seen in a slightly smoother stock 4 photos per postcard size card similar to an Exhibit card, these are almost always found cut into individual cards as well. The rare postcards (3 different known) are listed in some catalogs as "1929" but there is proof they were issued ca.1931. There are 54 different cards in the W517-1 Large set, but only 15 different have been seen in the W517-2 Mini form (Cochrane, Collins, Critz, Donahue, Gehrig, Grove, Jackson, Judge, Kamm, Kelly, Miller, O'Doul, Shire, Vance, P.Waner)."

One of the 3 different very rare "W517 Mini Postcards"

Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I went back and looked at an old post from last Oct.

Now Im not sure, the Gehrig may be cut from a strip. If all the postcards have the back postcard markings in the same direction, it should have obvious marking on the back if it was cut from the postcard.

If The Gehrig was cut from the postcard it should have a back like this...

That Gehrig, if blank backed is 99.9% from the Mini strip. The only way it is cut from the postcard is if there are postcards with the players in different spots, or postcards with blank backs. None have been seen yet, but they are rare so you never know.

Cochrane, Jackson, and Critz are the only players that if cut from the postcard the back would be blank.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Does anyone have a W517 in this color of red? The W517s are usually more dull I believe. But... the real and only way to truly tell a W517 mini is to have a broken line at the top or bottom of the card. Also, as Frank pointed out, the paper stock is thicker on the exhibit than the mini. Beating to death??? I do not post here often but if I can help a fellow collector than I try to by saving them some $$.

oops! sorry Frank, I thought the stock thickness was off a bit but you may be correct, I haven't compared the 2 in awhile.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

W517 mini's and I included a few reds. Notice the broken lines at top or bottom. Enjoy the edumacation.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Dan, these are nice. These minis all are on white stock unlike the Gehrig auction. Now, are there any that are black ink on red color stock as is this Gehrig auction? I think I'd seen one long ago, but perhaps it was just another diced '32 Exhibit.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator

This card is blank backed and the exact same color as the Gehrig.

Because of the color (red borders), I have always thought this card was cut from the postcard but I dont own it anymore so cant check the smoothness of the stock.

My guess is there were some postcards that had a blank back even though I have not seen one.