NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Mike Rozanc

Default June Pickups

Just got this 1979 Bill Madlock Jersey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg madlock 1.jpg (13.5 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg madlock 2.jpg (12.2 KB, 714 views)
Old 06-02-2017, 12:45 PM
J.O.N

1971 Pirates and 40s/50s Indians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:51 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrozie21 View Post
Very cool jersey!!
Old 06-03-2017, 11:35 AM

Default Charles "Deacon" Phillipe and George Gibson 1909 snapshot

I'm really thrilled to have added this circa 1909 snapshot of Pirates pitcher Charles "Deacon" Phillipe and catcher George Gibson to my collection.
Many thanks to net54's Gary Scamehorn for offering this to me.

Deacon Phillipe hurled a no-hitter in 1899, his 1st season in the ML while he was with Louisville.

Deacon Phillipe has always been a no-hit pitcher that I've had a strong interest in.
His story is actually very interesting.
Although he did not pitch for very many seasons (1899-1911) he was highly thought of as a top quality pitcher with incredible control.
Voted by the Pittsburgh fans as the greatest right-handed pitcher in Pirates history, Deacon Phillippe may have been the greatest control pitcher ever--his 1.25 walks per nine innings is the lower ratio of anyone who hurled after the modern pitching distance was established in 1893.
His teammate, HOF Honus Wagner, made a statement once that really cinched my interest in his career:
Deacon Phillipe always wanted to hurl against THE BEST pitcher on the opposing team’s roster. The Pirates would routinely shuffle their pitching rotation so that this could happen. Knowing this, look at Phillipe’s remarkable win/loss ratio (189 wins/ 109 losses) in the context of the competition that he always faced.
Deacon Phillipe also pitched in the very first World Series game in 1903 against Cy Young. Phillipe was the starting pitcher in 5 of the 8 games in the 1903 World Series and was the winning pitcher in all of the 3 games that the Pirates won in this WS. Phillipe was the ONLY starting pitcher to pitch in 5 games in any WS in the history of the MLB.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-07-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Rob

Interesting info, Scott! Is that an autograph or just a notation on the reverse?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrozie21 View Post
Sweet jersey. Finding an all original black Pirates jersey is tough. Congrats on the World Series year too.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Interesting info, Scott! Is that an autograph or just a notation on the reverse?
That's a vintage signed GPC of Deacon Phillipe.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Joe Hunter

Default 19th Century Baseball Bat

Picked up what I believe is a 19th Century baseball bat in great condition. It is 35" long and weighs 36oz. It has a flat knob and flat top. No manufacturer markings are visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9739.jpg (78.4 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9740.jpg (74.2 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9742.jpg (74.4 KB, 615 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Marty H.

Great snapshot! Any other Gibson snaps or RPPC's out there?

Let me know. Thanks, Marty

[QUOTE=Scott Garner;1667110]I'm really thrilled to have added this circa 1909 snapshot of HOF Charles "Deacon" Phillipe and catcher George Gibson to my collection.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:34 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I'm really thrilled to have added this circa 1909 snapshot of HOF Charles "Deacon" Phillipe and catcher George Gibson to my collection.
Many thanks to net54's Gary Scamehorn for offering this to me.

Deacon Phillipe hurled a no-hitter in 1899, his 1st season in the ML while he was with Louisville.

Deacon Phillipe has always been a no-hit pitcher that I've had a strong interest in.
His story is actually very interesting.
Although he did not pitch for very many seasons (1899-1911) he was highly thought of as a top quality pitcher with incredible control.
Voted by the Pittsburgh fans as the greatest right-handed pitcher in Pirates history, Deacon Phillippe may have been the greatest control pitcher ever--his 1.25 walks per nine innings is the lower ratio of anyone who hurled after the modern pitching distance was established in 1893.
His teammate, HOF Honus Wagner, made a statement once that really cinched my interest in his career:
Deacon Phillipe always wanted to hurl against THE BEST pitcher on the opposing team’s roster. The Pirates would routinely shuffle their pitching rotation so that this could happen. Knowing this, look at Phillipe’s remarkable win/loss ratio (189 wins/ 109 losses) in the context of the competition that he always faced.
Deacon Phillipe also pitched in the very first World Series game in 1903 against Cy Young. Phillipe was the starting pitcher in 5 of the 8 games in the 1903 World Series and was the winning pitcher in all of the 3 games that the Pirates won in this WS. Phillipe was the ONLY starting pitcher to pitch in 5 games in any WS in the history of the MLB.
You're welcome Scott...enjoy!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Jeff Lazarus

1955 Detroit Tigers lineup card featuring Al Kaline and signed by HOF manager Bucky Harris. I also have a Harris from 1934 but couldn't resist adding this one as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harris, Bucky Line-Up 1955.jpg (77.8 KB, 500 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

Old 06-05-2017, 05:49 AM

Default Vander Meer and Gumbert hurl the longest 0-0 tie in ML history- 19 innings!

June is starting out to be a great month for pickups, as I was able to scratch a great ticket off my want list.

On Sept. 11th, 1946 starting pitcher Johnny Vander Meer, of Double No-Hit fame, ended up pitching in one of the great epic pitching battles of all-time against Dodgers starter Hal Gregg & Co.
Vandy pitched the first 15 innings of what ended up being a 0-0 tie against the Bums at Ebbets Field, ending after 19 innings due to darkness. Vandy's Reds reliever teammate & close friend Harry Gumbert pitched the final 4 innings. For the record, the Bums used a total of 4 pitchers in this pitching marathon.

After 71 years, this still stands as being a ML record for the longest game resulting in a 0-0 tie.

This would prove to be one of Vandy's greatest games as he set career highs in innings pitched (15 innings), strikeouts (14) and a miniscule 2 walks.
For Vander Meer, this was quite an accomplishment in of itself as he struggled throughout his career to not walk batters. In his own words he called this "the old bugaboo".

I was able to pair an exceedingly rare full ticket to this game and paired it with a press photo taken of Reds hurlers Vandy and Gumbert immediately after the game.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-06-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Joe

Quote:
June is proving to be a great month for pickups as I was able to scratch a great ticket off my want list.
Fantastic looking ticket Scott. Congrats!!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Outstanding pickup Scott! When you found it was it sold knowing what it was, or was it just another ticket that you happened to know what it was?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Fantastic looking ticket Scott. Congrats!!
Thanks Joe!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Outstanding pickup Scott! When you found it was it sold knowing what it was, or was it just another ticket that you happened to know what it was?
Hi Mike,
I hope you are well.

This particular Vandy ticket date has been on my want list for several years.
The seller did know the significance of the date and stated as much in the auction title and description.

I had always hoped to find a stub, never suspecting that I would be fortunate enough to find a NM full ticket to this game. I definitely paid somewhat of a premium for it, but for my Vander Meer collection it's a terrific fit, needless to say.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Well done Scott, and Thank You I am doing very well. Took some time out from the hobby to spend time on other hobbies like my my home theater, but I'm back now and trying to finish up matting and framing what I have on hand before finishing up some bigger projects. Hoping to post some new Memorabilia Room photos soon.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Well done Scott, and Thank You I am doing very well. Took some time out from the hobby to spend time on other hobbies like my my home theater, but I'm back now and trying to finish up matting and framing what I have on hand before finishing up some bigger projects. Hoping to post some new Memorabilia Room photos soon.
Awesome! Glad to have you back in the mix.
It's always a pleasure to read your posts.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
June is starting out to be a great month for pickups, as I was able to scratch a great ticket off my want list.

On Sept. 11th, 1946 starting pitcher Johnny Vander Meer, of Double No-Hit fame, ended up pitching in one of the great epic pitching battles of all-time against Dodgers starter Hal Gregg & Co.
Vandy pitched the first 15 innings of what ended up being a 0-0 tie against the Bums at Ebbets Field, ending after 19 innings due to darkness. Vandy's Reds reliever teammate & close friend Harry Gumbert pitched the final 4 innings. For the record, the Bums used a total of 4 pitchers in this pitching marathon.

After 71 years, this still stands as being a ML record for the longest game resulting in a 0-0 tie.

This would prove to be one of Vandy's greatest games as he set career highs in innings pitched (15 innings), strikeouts (14) and a miniscule 2 walks.

I was able to pair an exceedingly rare full ticket to this game to a press photo taken of Reds hurlers Vandy and Gumbert immediately after the game.
Said it before and I'll say it sgain; one of my favorite collections. Great pickup!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:

I was able to pair an exceedingly rare full ticket to this game to a press photo taken of Reds hurlers Vandy and Gumbert immediately after the game.
Very cool Scott! I love you matching it with the photo.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Rob

Great ticket, Scott! Did they not resume the game because it was late in the season and both teams were "out of it"?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Great ticket, Scott! Did they not resume the game because it was late in the season and both teams were "out of it"?
Rob,
Thank you.
Interesting question. As stated in my previous post, it was a day game and was called due to darkness.
It's amazing that the 19 inning game only lasted about 4 1/2 hours, which by today's standard was crazy fast.
9 inning games today can easily take 4+ hours. Times have certainly changed...

Since lights were available at Brooklyn since 1938 and the game was played in 1946, I actually puzzled over why they just didn't turn on the lights to let the game play out. I came to the conclusion that at this point in time, night games perhaps were still being billed as special events. In 1946 it appears that only 29/78 games in the home schedule being played under the lights. The other thing to possibly consider is that likely turning on the lights required special set up and preparation since they were not an everyday occurrence.
Perhaps the logistics prevented it? I'm not really sure...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-06-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Said it before and I'll say it sgain; one of my favorite collections. Great pickup!
Thanks Ben & Paul!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Mike

Nice pick ups everyone!

Mike
Old 06-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Mike

Brooklyn Dodgers Pickups
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2999.jpg (74.6 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3002.jpg (73.6 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3003.jpg (70.7 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3004.jpg (78.3 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3005.jpg (78.2 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3006.jpg (67.8 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3007.jpg (72.2 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3008.jpg (71.5 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3009.jpg (74.5 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3010.jpg (75.3 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3011.jpg (74.4 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3012.jpg (83.6 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3013.jpg (74.0 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3014.jpg (71.2 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by brookdodger55; 06-06-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:32 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdodger55 View Post
Brooklyn Dodgers Pickups
Very nice!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Mike

Awesome Brooklyn Dodgers pickups.

Mike
Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Mike

Thanks to above collectors
Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 AM

First card to match photo. Not quite Ben's level.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:08 PM
J.O.N

This is one I had to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Brett 3000th hit lineup cards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brett, George 3000th Hit.jpg (73.5 KB, 383 views)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Brett 3000th hit lineup cards
Nice! I was at the Brett 3,000th hit game!
Hit # 3,000 was off Angels' pitcher Tim Fortuno. That was Brett's 4th hit of the evening....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-09-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdodger55 View Post
Brooklyn Dodgers Pickups

That ebbetts field sign is killer. Beautiful dodger pick ups!!!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:

For Vander Meer, this was quite an accomplishment in of itself as he struggled throughout his career to not walk batters. In his own words he called this "the old bugaboo".

I was able to pair an exceedingly rare full ticket to this game and paired it with a press photo taken of Reds hurlers Vandy and Gumbert immediately after the game.

Whoa that is an amazing ticket. Great find Scott
Old 06-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Nice! I was at the Brett 3,000th hit game!
Hit # 3,000 was of Angels' pitcher Tim Fortuno. That was Brett's 4th hit of the evening....
Thanks! My lineup card collection is mostly focused on HOF managers, but I've been able to pick up a few World Series cards, and a few interesting games (Niekro 300th win, Brett 3000 hit, rookie seasons of guys like Gwynn and Ozzie Smith and milestone homerun games from Griffey and Chipper Jones.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Young Nolan Ryan

Picked up this unique shot. I missed out on it twice and decided to snatch it up this time around as young Nolan is tough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4753.jpg (71.7 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4754.jpg (68.5 KB, 369 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 06-08-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Picked up this unique shot. I missed out on it twice and decided to snatch it up this time around as young Nolan is tough.

Fireeeeeeeee
Old 06-09-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Nice rookie Nolan Ryan, Ben! Congrats!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Clint

Picked up my 3rd Forrest "Woody" Jensen game used bat (Bottom bat). I'd say I have the market pretty well cornered on these. Pretty special player for my collection for several reasons. One, I actually knew him and his family. He also kind of had everything I look for from a Kansas player other than being born here. He played minor league ball in Wichita in the late 20's-1930. He then made it to the majors for pretty much all of the decade of the 30's. From there he came back to Wichita and played semi pro for the Boeing Bombers winning a National Championship. Finally he was in the front office of the Wichita Indians in the 50's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5001638.jpg (76.7 KB, 324 views)
Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Dan Bretta

Nice pickup, Hoarder. I mean Clint.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Clint

Ha, thanks Dan. I know you have the same disease I do.😁
Old 06-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Ha, thanks Dan. I know you have the same disease I do.😁
Ain't that the truth.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:18 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Chief Bender Game Used 1917 Pennant Winning Baseball

[URL=http://s792.photobucket.com/user/collectiblesgain

This ball represents the last run given up and the last home run given up during the actual part of Bender's major league career. He did pitch one bullshit inning 8 years later as a coach but that shouldn't really count.

It is definitely the ball that caused the last loss.of his career. It is also the last run he gave up as a pitcher for a Philadelphia team.

The two run homerun by controversial Benny Kauff turned a 1-0 deficit in the 8th into a 2-1 victory. The victory clinched the 1917 pennant for the Giants, and this is the ball that propelled them to victory.

Tom C
Old 06-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Jack T

Default Chief Bender Game Used 1917 Pennant Winning Baseball

Wow, great ball Tom. Congratulations on that pickup.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan View Post
wow, great ball tom. Congratulations on that pickup.
+100

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 06-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Wow!! Great baseball. Congrats, Tom!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Peach Advertising Ad

One of my all time favorite pieces has found a new home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peach Advertising Sign 1.jpg (76.6 KB, 387 views)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:11 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Amazing Bob! What year is that?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:10 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Amazing Bob! What year is that?
Its 1910s
REA had a trimmed example that sold around 10 years ago.