NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT - When can you use Media Mail to ship

This is one Postal rate that I never get right.

According to the USPS, you may ship magazines w/o advertisements via Media mail.

My question is does that mean a magazine from any time period? Suppose I am shipping a Baseball Year Book from the 1960's or 70's. It does have advertisements in the back but many of those companies may not even exist anymore. Do the media rates apply to any time period?

Anyone have a clear picture on how exactly do Media rates work?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Robert J. Miller

I always understood that any magazine, newspaper, ANY form of media, etc. can be mailed via media rates. This also includes CD's and DVD's.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Robert J. Miller

I always understood that any magazine, newspaper, ANY form of media, etc. can be mailed via media rates. This also includes CD's and DVD's.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Tom Boblitt

I use media mail for any type of media as stated above......primarily books, magazines, etc. The HEAVY stuff. It's always subject to be opened and have had that happen a couple times. Not sure why. Also remember that it doesn't typically travel as fast as first class, so be sure your buyer knows that. Sometimes slow boat but mostly a couple days behind FCM. I've also had it get there quickly before. So basically.....any time in transit seems to work. I don't do a lot of DVD's and CD's so don't know about that.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, no ads.

From any time period. With a couple very narrow exceptions.

A friend of mine got an old magazine from the 1890's return to sender for extra postage because of ads.

In addition to stuff like books and magazines without ads. (Magazines without ads?! Don't think I've ever seen one) 8, 9.5 and 16 mm film is also ok to ship media mail 35mm movie film is not. Probably because it's mostly a commercial product.

Beta, VHS, reel to reel tapes, 8 tracks, cassettes, records, computer disks.....all ok as long as there's no advertising.

http://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121.htm

The wording used to be different, allowing unbound printed matter, and I used to ship bulk lots of cheap card that way until they decided it wouldn't be allowed.
The actual regs here.
http://pe.usps.gov/Archive/PDF/DMMAr...050106/173.pdf

Steve B
Old 10-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Scott Russell

Books have one ad exception. books that have order forms/ads for other books like a lot of genre paperback do are actually OK. I've never heard of a magazine that was actually OK and I have sent magazines all the way back to 1920's issues of Baseball Magazine.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Jason Stricker

I use it when mailing books.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

The interesting thing about regulations is that not as many people know them who think they do. To wit...

I just happened to be mailing a technical book today at the USPS using media mail. I was watching a postal employee tape closed a flat rate priority box for a customer that obviously would not close (meaning fit) in the standard flat rate box without the extra tape, since what was being put into the box protruded beyond the end of the box. So the flaps didn't lay over flat.

Now I was told previously by another postal employee that in order to be able to use a flat rate box, it had to fit within the flat rate box with no need to be taped in order to close the box. (you could put tape on to 'secure' the package better, but it should not be needed to enclose what is being mailed)

Moral of the story? Know the regulations and be able to show them to the postal employee should they give you grief otherwise. Or go to a different PO. And being willing to 'pay the price' based on someone down the line deciding differently.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Books have one ad exception. books that have order forms/ads for other books like a lot of genre paperback do are actually OK. I've never heard of a magazine that was actually OK and I have sent magazines all the way back to 1920's issues of Baseball Magazine.
I've 'heard' that technical journals are fine for media mail as well (medical, computer, etc). Journal of the American Medical Association, OK. Men's Health, Not OK.

I believe again, it gets down to the advertising aspect. But it is somewhat of a byzantine set of regulations.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:32 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I recently received two cards that were shipped media mail. The seller
charged $10 shipping and it was two weeks before I got them. I'm not
sure if it was because they were shipped media mail, because he put the wrong 4 digit add on code, or a combination of both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img760 - Copy.jpg (73.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg img762.jpg (74.0 KB, 151 views)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

It just makes no sense why you can't ship magazines with ads via media mail. A magazine is a magazine.

Someone did make a point in one of the earlier posts about what magazine does not have ads.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
It just makes no sense why you can't ship magazines with ads via media mail. A magazine is a magazine.

Someone did make a point in one of the earlier posts about what magazine does not have ads.
It's all about the money. The PO can charge more for magazines and other literature that has advertisements. Most magazines have advertisements.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default media mail

Baseball cards never qualify. Newspapers never qualify. Very old magazines do qualify because the advertising content, for the most part, no longer exists. Stacks of paper do not qualify, unless they are bound. DVD's and CD's do qualify, as well as 45's and 33's. (records, not guns). Books qualify. Comic books, for the most part, do not qualify because they contain advertising.

In some cases the rules are vague and they can be interpreted differently by different people.

All media mail parcels are supposed to be inspected because so many people are cheating. We have found cosmetics, food, clothing, car parts, and just about every item that you can think of that was included in media mail packages.

Keep in mind that everything in the box has to qualify. If you have a box with 10 books, but the box contains a pair of socks, then the parcel does not qualify for media rates.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Derek G.

My local post office told me that the CD I was mailing did not qualify for media mail because it was not educational in nature. The difference in price was minuscule so it didnt really matter, but I had never heard that rule before.