NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default OT-Can you imagine Nagurski, Thorpe, Rockne and Grange ....

wearing pink cleats in a football game?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Not without a lot of alcohol!

- although...at least in some circles. leather does go with pink...hot pink anyway.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Jeff Lowe

I guess they can't donate to a cause without wearing the stuff .
Old 10-09-2016, 02:54 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Pink Grange? Has a nice ring to it.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Don

The NFL is dead to me. I haven't cared about them for 15 years.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

It's for breast cancer awareness. I guess I don't understand why the color of players' cleats bothers you, or why you think some of the old timers would be so insecure that they wouldn't support the cause.

I'm wearing 2 breast cancer bracelets right now (and every day) and own pink shirts and ties. I don't feel like I need a big, loud truck or other overt symbols to prove I'm masculine. In fact, supporting the women in our lives is what makes you a "real man."
Old 10-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Louie Michaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
It's for breast cancer awareness. I guess I don't understand why the color of players' cleats bothers you, or why you think some of the old timers would be so insecure that they wouldn't support the cause.

I'm wearing 2 breast cancer bracelets right now (and every day) and own pink shirts and ties. I don't feel like I need a big, loud truck or other overt symbols to prove I'm masculine. In fact, supporting the women in our lives is what makes you a "real man."
+1

It's 2016 people. Pink is a color. Its wavelength is slighter longer than blue. It's as "manly" or as "feminine" as you decide it to be. Jeesh.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Nick Barnes

It was a harder scrabble life back then, people were just happy that they lived to be 65 without polio or their kids dying before puberty.(and players didn't make the kind of bread they do now)

That plus men were men back then and didn't get conned into acting like "sensitive special snowflakes" by a dubiously,agenda driven academic society like they do now. Hey , wear what you want this is a free country, but this modern attitude of "anyone who doesn't aggressively support cause XYZ is a terrible person" is getting a bit tired.

I have been amused by the advent of the beard as modern masculine symbol when it generally is worn by a guy who would get a panic attack at a horror movie.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 10-11-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

They don't have the Ribon on !
Old 10-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Louie Michaud

Yeah, psh, men who share their emotions, what sissies.

Give me a break with that nonsense.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

During my career as a surgeon, I treated hundreds of women and a few men with breast cancer and am fully aware of the disease and its consequences. The patients I helped never complained that I wasn't wearing pink shoes in the office or in the operating room.

Likewise when I was treated for my own colon cancer, I can't recall the color of my surgeon's or oncologist's shoes. Perhaps they were brown.

It is 2016 though and we are living in a PC world where manufacturing pink shoes and other paraphenalia for professional football players to wear in October is apparently necessary to make us all aware and feel good, then so be it.

Let's take it a step further then and make November colon cancer awareness month. Players could wear brown shoes and have several polyps attached to their pants. But wait! ... there are aren't enough months and the season is too short for all the worthy causes for the NFL to promote.

I guess colon cancer will have to be added to October. When you get your next exam, be sure that your doctor uses one of my "pink colonoscopes"

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-11-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
During my career as a surgeon, I treated hundreds of women and a few men with breast cancer and am fully aware of the disease and its consequences. The patients I helped never complained that I wasn't wearing pink shoes in the office or in the operating room.

Likewise when I was treated for my own colon cancer, I can't recall the color of my surgeon's or oncologist's shoes. Perhaps they were brown.

It is 2016 though and we are living in a PC world where manufacturing pink shoes and other paraphenalia for professional football players to wear in October is apparently necessary to make us all aware and feel good, then so be it.

Let's take it a step further then and make November colon cancer awareness month. Players could wear brown shoes and have several polyps attached to their pants. But wait! ... there are aren't enough months and the season is too short for all the worthy causes for the NFL to promote.

I guess colon cancer will have to be added to October. When you get your next exam, be sure that your doctor uses one of my "pink colonoscopes"
But wait Frank, would the shoe makers still get their big cut? How about the sock people?

I know I never give to a charity unless someone can come up with a slogan and get the shoe people in. Then I'm onboard. I would hate to see the money used to buy shoes go to a charitable organization with a noble cause. Those shoe guys need money. Shoe manufacturers wallets matter.

Mark

Last edited by Mdmtx; 10-11-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Nick Barnes

Looks like it's the NFL keeping the cash it "raises" and only donating 5%!

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/10/26/3...cancer-charity
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Now consider this: in 2011, the MDA Show of Strength, formerly known as the Jerry Lewis Telethon, raised $31 million to fight muscular dystrophy in a single night, and that was down from the amount raised in 2010 ($48 million), when Jerry Lewis was still the host. That means that at their current pace, it would take the NFL another 76 years to raise as much money as the MDA raised in their last two shows. Which begs the question: is this truly the best the NFL can do?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Attitudes have changed since you were in college with those men, Dr. B.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:02 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:

Shoot, Frank. If one really cared about "supporting the women" they would wear the colors for ovarian cancer awareness. Men can't get that no matter how hard they try. Then we can bring back throwing eggs at the opposing team to show our support as fans as well.

We live in bandwagon times where the only way you can show support is by jumping on.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Don

Old 10-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
It was a harder scrabble life back then, people were just happy that they lived to be 65 without polio or their kids dying before puberty.(and players didn't make the kind of bread they do now)

That plus men were men back then and didn't get conned into acting like "sensitive special snowflakes" by a dubiously,agenda driven academic society like they do now. Hey , wear what you want this is a free country, but this modern attitude of "anyone who doesn't aggressively support cause XYZ is a terrible person" is getting a bit tired.

I have been amused by the advent of the beard as modern masculine symbol when it generally is worn by a guy who would get a panic attack at a horror movie.

I didn't realize I'd been conned. I thought I supported breast cancer awareness because my mother died from the disease at 58 years old. Next time I'm at her grave and talking to her, I'll remember to admonish her for conning me.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Frank, you implied that there's something wrong with wearing pink shoes and then said the color of a doctor's shoes doesn't matter. Why, then, do you care about the color of a professional athlete's shoes. The way I read your OP, you were saying that Grange et al wouldn't wear pink shoes because there's something "wrong" with that, presumably that pink is too "feminine." If I'm right about your intent, and your presumption of those players' aversion to pink is also correct, then I am comfortable saying that I'm more of a "real man" than you are or they were, since I don't rely on symbols (beards included) to prove my masculinity to the world.

If, however, I misinterpreted your OP, then I apologize. If you were simply griping about current society's bandwagon/fad obsession and about corporate intrusion into our national pastimes, then you'll find no disagreement coming from me.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
I didn't realize I'd been conned. I thought I supported breast cancer awareness because my mother died from the disease at 58 years old. Next time I'm at her grave and talking to her, I'll remember to admonish her for conning me.
nice way to take a general statement, make it personal and then grab a big ole appeal to emotion at the end.\\sorry about your mom, but I stand by my statement. Too many males of today are not men, they are weak, fragile and pathetic.

Quote:
, then I am comfortable saying that I'm more of a "real man" than you are or they were, since I don't rely on symbols (beards included) to prove my masculinity to the world.
yes, so comfortable you certainly refrain from spreading this belief around like rice at a wedding

Last edited by bravos4evr; 10-11-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Nick, you "sound" like a caveman.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Nick, you "sound" like a caveman.
I think he is right. You took Frank way too seriously. You obviously haven't met and don't know him. Pink shoes, I got no problem with them. I like bright colors personally, though I admit I don't own any pink shoes or clothing.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Frank and I have exchanged some polite and thought provoking PM's. No grudge there and he seems like a great guy.

Nick, on the other hand, still bothers me with his assertion that somebody is being "conned" if they wear pink during October. His comment about weak, fragile, pathetic men also reeks of false bravado. It's disappointing, Leon, that you would say this kind of attitude is "right."
Old 10-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Frank and I have exchanged some polite and thought provoking PM's. No grudge there and he seems like a great guy.

Nick, on the other hand, still bothers me with his assertion that somebody is being "conned" if they wear pink during October. His comment about weak, fragile, pathetic men also reeks of false bravado. It's disappointing, Leon, that you would say this kind of attitude is "right."
I have at least a handful of my closest relatives, including my mom who died of breast cancer, who have been afflicted with cancer. My comment was in no way, shape or form what you are trying to make of it, trust me. I said exactly what I meant. I never commented about what Nick or anyone else besides what Frank said. Quit making a mountain out of a molehill. I even said I have no problem with pink shoes!! But to reiterate Dr. Frank, can you imagine?

edited to add, I was not agreeing with other stuff which Nick had said, though I see how that came out, so my apology on that. My only reference was meant to be concerning Frank.

Last edited by Leon; 10-12-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:26 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have at least a handful of my closest relatives, including my mom who died of breast cancer, who have been afflicted with cancer. My comment was in no way, shape or form what you are trying to make of it, trust me. I said exactly what I meant. I never commented about what Nick or anyone else besides what Frank said. Quit making a mountain out of a molehill. I even said I have no problem with pink shoes!! But to reiterate Dr. Frank, can you imagine?

edited to add, I was not agreeing with other stuff which Nick had said, though I see how that came out, so my apology on that. My only reference was meant to be concerning Frank.
OK, like I said, I have no issue with Frank or his post. He and I have hashed out that misunderstanding.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Eric Perry

If Grange wore pink shoes, would we still call him, "Red?"
Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

You probably would if you had to play against him.

Steve B
Old 10-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Steve Birmingham

When my first child was born, we picked out a diaper bag. We picked it for features and solid construction, and as it happened it also was decorated with quite a bit of pink. My wife asked me if I would be comfortable carrying what mostly looked like a big pocketbook that had that much pink on it. My answer?

Yes, totally. There's nothing at all unmanly about carrying a diaper bag of any color especially if you're 50% responsible for needing it.

The big fun was later on when shopping for more baby stuff. I'd set up the formula so I had a bottle of powder and one of water and a flattened paper cup to use as a funnel. (Glass baby food jars are great for this btw)
When the usually female sales people asked if I needed any help and I could just say nope, I've got this. And make a bottle on the spot. At least one said the setup was brilliant. I was also lucky my daughter didn't have to have the stuff warmed.

Steve B
Old 10-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Rockne, Nagurski, Thorpe, and anyone else who was a professional athlete would wear whatever uniforms their teams told them to wear. It is a job, not a walkathon: the employees don't get to choose whether they wear their assigned uniforms:

Now if they were pieces of flair...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-12-2016, 01:11 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
I don't know about cleats, but it is highly possible that all of these men did wear pink as young boys.

Pink as a "girl" color didn't make a full transition until approximately the 1940's. Up until then it was either gender neutral or a color for a young male.

From a June 1918 Earnshaw's Infants' Department publication:
Quote:
“The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.”
The funny thing is. Even though there are posts in this thread that they don't understand being conned into wearing a color, those same people think the color is gender specific. The only reason they think that way is because advertising has made it that way, meaning they were "conned" into thinking it wasn't a masculine color.

Quote:
Quote:
...Too many males of today are not men, they are weak, fragile and pathetic.

I am weak (physically) and I do get emotional. I love. I cry. I do get palpitations in horror movies. None of this has ever made me feel like less than a man. At the end of the day I take care of my wife and children by working every day and being there for them in anyway I can. I don't need to build the house from scratch and kill the food they eat with my bare hands to feel like a man.

I do have a beard. It isn't because I think I am tougher for having it. As a matter of fact I know I am still what you would call "weak and fragile". I have a beard because I like having a beard and my wife seems to prefer it as well.

I have had a beard (or some form of goatee/beard) since I could do so. Then a couple of year's ago I was randomly asked by my brother-in-law if I grew my beard for "No-shave-mber". I had no idea what that was. I also thought it was strange that even though I had the beard as long as he had known me, he assumed that I had done it for some "cause" or to "fit-in" at that point.

I just thought I would let you know that some of us "weak" men with beards know who we are. We are men.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

A bit of a non-sequitur, but I love the pink portrait T206s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.1 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by mechanicalman; 10-12-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:16 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
A big of a non-sequitur, but I love the pink portrait T206s
C'mon, Sam. Real men know that's not pink, but rather more of a salmon.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Dan Bl@u

Default Real men wear pink

Old 10-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Don

Here's what I want to know - Why do we even have a separate word for light red?

Light blue = light blue
Light green = light green
etc, etc.

Light red = pink
Old 10-13-2016, 11:00 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Here's what I want to know - Why do we even have a separate word for light red?

Light blue = light blue
Light green = light green
etc, etc.

Light red = pink
LOL. Hmmmm... light black = grey?

And where's the blue food? There is no blue food!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:05 AM
Don

If you want to know the biggest advertising con ever perpetuated on consumers, check this out.

http://www.ivetriedthat.com/2014/04/...ting-strategy/
Old 10-13-2016, 11:43 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
If you want to know the biggest advertising con ever perpetuated on consumers, check this out.

Or what about those grown men that buy wallet size photos of athletic men, then freak out if the corner is bent or their little man isn't perfectly centered between the borders...
Old 10-13-2016, 12:37 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Or what about those grown men that buy wallet size photos of athletic men, then freak out if the corner is bent or their little man isn't perfectly centered between the borders...

There was a 1980's comedian (George Carlin I think) who made an observation about cards.

He said "I can understand collecting baseball cards when you're a kid. Those guys were your heroes. Now that you're an adult, you're just collecting pictures of other men."
Old 10-13-2016, 01:25 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
There was a 1980's comedian (George Carlin I think) who made an observation about cards.

He said "I can understand collecting baseball cards when you're a kid. Those guys were your heroes. Now that you're an adult, you're just collecting pictures of other men."
Here is a recent comedian that was on Kimmel opening with a similar bit.

https://youtu.be/JPFjfl-0p4I
Old 10-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Chuck Bednarik

Chuck was certainly a tough guy. He used to show up at the fort Washington shows to walk around and look at the memorabilia and cards. He often wore a pink or light purple sport coat. Color is not my strength so not sure which it was.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Chuck was certainly a tough guy. He used to show up at the fort Washington shows to walk around and look at the memorabilia and cards. He often wore a pink or light purple sport coat. Color is not my strength so not sure which it was.

Chuck Bednarik ??? not a chance

Just a pic of another tough guy, the OP in his favorite shirt.......

.....and very proud to have matching shoes.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:

The 4 numbered points made at the end of that article sound like good way to sell high grade 50's and 60's topps commons...has anyone figured out a way yet?
Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Personally, I'm a mauve guy.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
LOL. Hmmmm... light black = grey?

And where's the blue food? There is no blue food!
Actually, there is:

A rare genetic quirk can produce blue lobsters

Doesn't make them kosher...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-14-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
The 4 numbered points made at the end of that article sound like good way to sell high grade 50's and 60's topps commons...has anyone figured out a way yet?
LOL, I think you're on to something.

Create a need - Registry sets
Illusion of scarcity - TOP POP! or ONLY 3 GRADED HIGHER!
Hike Prices - 707's (and others) ebay model
Provide Information - POP reports, SMR, PSA Grading Guide etc.