NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Default Wondering about the B/S/T

Posted By: Rob D.

First off, this isn't meant as a criticism to any seller or the B/S/T board in general. I truly am not sure of the answer.

Even since I've been paying attention to the B/S/T, I've noticed that the standard practice in most cases after an item is sold is for the seller to edit his original post and remove the asking price. Why is that?

I understand adding a "Sold" qualifier, but why remove the price? I think there's a lot that can be learned from the B/S/T, assuming I've seen what a card was listed for. In those cases when I miss the original listing but see the "Sold" sign, I often wish I knew what the asking price was. Even taking into consideration that often the sale price isn't the same as the selling price, I think it's still useful info.

Thoughts?

Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

if you erase the price when the card(s)is sold no one can up the offer or ridicule the price.(board no no) sold is sold

Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Rob,

I always remove the price.

I do this out of respect for the buyer's privacy. I don't know a buyer's intention with the card after I sell it (he may want to flip it)-

I consider the ask price or the final price to be up to the buyer to disclose.

Joe

Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Go back a couple years and you will see jerks comment "$500...I would have gone to $1,500 had I seen it" or conversely, "$500....I just bought a better graded example for $200".

As my kids say..."don't Yuck someone's Yum."

Old 03-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I leave the price posted unless the buyer specifically asks to have it removed.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

It would be great if sales were some how recorded so we could see a price history outside of ebays

Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The only problem with leaving the price up is it may not reflect the actual sale.

Suppose a seller lists a card for $500 and then sells it but doesn't remove the price. And let's say he negotiated with the buyer and actually sold the card for $425. How would that be reflected in the BST post? You wouldn't expect the seller to type in the actual selling price once the transaction is completed.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Barry is correct. A lot of sales are likely negotiated via email in response to a posting.

Personally, I wouldn't leave up a sales price. Neither as a seller or a buyer am I interested in others knowing what was paid. I don't desire my name and expenditures/sales to be recorded for public service. I know of others who don't want telegraphed what they paid for items.

If someone with a notebook keeps track, the postings are of course fair game and posted on a pubic forum.