NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder089 View Post
"Ebay 1/1"
Wow, how I hate running into a bunch of these when I am looking around Ebay. Damn lie, they are not 1/1, phony crap.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
One more, actually a "variation"...Whopper Poppage

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...-rookie#latest

And scroll down 3 posts for a new one:

"bumpage credits"
Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
And of course there is "looking to find a good home for these", as if there is such a thing as a bad home. Does anybody physically or mentally abuse his cards?
Many think the owner of the 1912 Highlanders Ticket Book is guilty of abuse.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:45 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Ok, what is "poppage"?
People who submitted on the October Group Sub have no idea what POPPAGE is either.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I have grown to detest the following descriptors:

extant and exemplar
Ditto and ditto.

"Dagger sharp corners"

Also agree with Leon about auctions with "PERFECT CENTERING" in the title and you can tell it's not perfect from the thumbnail preview.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

wrong thread

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-28-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
That's because a few bad apples ruined it for you. I bet every single Ebay seller has been burned Internationally at least once.
Yeah but I bet every single Ebay seller has also been burned by an American buyer at least once too (more likely multiple times by the amount of complaining I see on here).

This "no international shipping" thing is unique to baseball card dealers. I have a few other collections (stamps, coins, retro video games) and its rare to find American dealers in those items who don't ship internationally. Presumably they've all been burned as well but they don't over-react the way baseball card guys do. Its not unusual for a stamp dealer to have a "No shipping to Latvia" or something in their listings and you can easily deduce that they had a bad experience with a Latvian but took a more measured response than just "domestic sales only".

Those hobbies are a bit more international than baseball cards so those sellers probably have to rely on international sales more than baseball card guys do, but still it strikes me as self defeating. The few guys who are willing to ship to me get all my bids and get more money as a result. I've clicked on lots of cards that I intended to buy only to see that "does not ship to Japan" sign and move on. Lost sales for those guys.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:55 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I won't ship internationally

No way do i ship internationally way more problems then domestically. Sorry it is an inconvenience for you but i can't afford to lose the money from all the over seas scams run on ebay. You can think they are few or equal to the USA all you want but from my experiences you are way off.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Bill H@e1ig

when it comes to autographs
"hand signed"
Old 03-01-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
No way do i ship internationally way more problems then domestically. Sorry it is an inconvenience for you but i can't afford to lose the money from all the over seas scams run on ebay. You can think they are few or equal to the USA all you want but from my experiences you are way off.
I also collect records and CDs. NEVER have had a problem shipping overseas. However, with sports cards, a couple of times it has been an absolute nightmare!
Old 03-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
People who submitted on the October Group Sub have no idea what POPPAGE is either.
Ugggggg....don't remind me.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 AM
Kevin O'Gara

I don't know if it's been said already because I wasn't going through all the pages "minty" has to be the worst word ever
Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Robert Williams

My favorite is when they are describing cards such as 1948/1949 Bowmans as having "wonderful gloss".....when the cards never had gloss on them to begin with!!! I'm thinking,.."Do they even look at the cards they are selling?"
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Yeah but I bet every single Ebay seller has also been burned by an American buyer at least once too (more likely multiple times by the amount of complaining I see on here).

This "no international shipping" thing is unique to baseball card dealers. I have a few other collections (stamps, coins, retro video games) and its rare to find American dealers in those items who don't ship internationally. Presumably they've all been burned as well but they don't over-react the way baseball card guys do. Its not unusual for a stamp dealer to have a "No shipping to Latvia" or something in their listings and you can easily deduce that they had a bad experience with a Latvian but took a more measured response than just "domestic sales only".

Those hobbies are a bit more international than baseball cards so those sellers probably have to rely on international sales more than baseball card guys do, but still it strikes me as self defeating. The few guys who are willing to ship to me get all my bids and get more money as a result. I've clicked on lots of cards that I intended to buy only to see that "does not ship to Japan" sign and move on. Lost sales for those guys.
I have been on EBay about 20 years and have never been burned by a US buyer. I have also done lots of trades within the US and have never been burned. I have had problems with over seas buyers. The last one resulted in me getting a negative because the card arrived "damaged." The card was sent insured, so the buyer could have filed a claim. I also offer returns on all my items. I guess the buyer thought I would let him keep the card and give him a big discount. People like this make me not want to sell out of the US, it is just not worth the hassle.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Very rare!!!!!!!!!!!

Sold!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I have been on EBay about 20 years and have never been burned by a US buyer. I have also done lots of trades within the US and have never been burned. I have had problems with over seas buyers. The last one resulted in me getting a negative because the card arrived "damaged." The card was sent insured, so the buyer could have filed a claim. I also offer returns on all my items. I guess the buyer thought I would let him keep the card and give him a big discount. People like this make me not want to sell out of the US, it is just not worth the hassle.
It's funny how different people have different experiences.... I've also been on Ebay since 1997, and the only people as a Canadian I've ever been burned by - both as a seller and as a buyer - are Americans.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Not a word or a phrase, but the pictures in on-line auctions/sales:

Instead of a proper scan of a card, the card photographed lying or leaning at some weird angle;
or instead of a scan of a card or a decent photo of some small memorabilia item, a photo of
the vendor's fat, hairy, unmanicured hand holding the thing.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 03-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Not a word or a phrase, but the pictures in on-line auctions/sales:

Instead of a proper scan of a card, the card photographed lying or leaning at some weird angle;
or instead of a scan of a card or a decent photo of some small memorabilia item, a photo of
the vendor's fat, hairy, unmanicured hand holding the thing.
Seriously my hirsute and corpulent coreligionists, would it kill ya to get a manicure?
Old 03-01-2018, 02:37 PM
James
James Kin.chen

I don't like when the seller quotes SMR prices. We all know how accurate SMR is. Or when they quote PSA prices when trying to sell a SGC or BVG graded card.
James

Last edited by jfkheat; 03-01-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Sorry to hear about that. Obviously I can't speak for the entirety of the 7 billion people living outside the US, and I sympathize, but I guess I kind of find it frustrating that when (I surmise) sellers have a problem with a scammer in one country like that they just ban the entire world instead of buyers from that one country.

So let me just make my pitch to all you ebay baseball card dealers in favor of perhaps taking a more selective approach to the problem.

Take Japan (where I live) and South Korea (a country I've been to for work several times). It is extremely unlikely that anyone will be scammed by your average Japanese or Korean on Ebay. They are extremely honest societies and while as with every society they do have scammers, they are almost exclusively associated with organized crime syndicates who concentrate solely on domestic scams.

Combined those countries have a population of close to 200 million, baseball is by far the most popular sport and baseball card collecting is a hobby in both countries.

Its a massive potential market but for some reason whenever a scammer in Uzbekistan ( or wherever, sorry Uzbekistan) takes a seller for a ride, they cut the cord on innocent Japanese and Korean buyers too (I'm not Japanese BTW, I just live here). That cuts off a huge potential market.

I've never sold baseball cards on ebay but I do have a lot of experience selling other stuff on forums and I've also been burned on a few transactions and there are a few known countries out there where this is a problem (mainly Eastern Europe) and it seems easy to avoid without cutting off everyone.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 03-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Val Kehl

When a seller brags that his pre-War PSA-graded card is 1 of only 8 (or some other low number) in the PSA pop report, but DOESN'T mention that SGC has graded 30 (or a similar number) of the suckers.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 PM

Whenever the T206 Jack Dunn card is referred to (and pictured!) as a horizontal pose, I feel like doing a facepalm...
Old 03-02-2018, 08:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

"Fresh to the hobby."

As though the guy in whose collection the cards previously resided wasn't part of the hobby?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
"Fresh to the hobby."

As though the guy in whose collection the cards previously resided wasn't part of the hobby?
Perhaps that “fresh to the hobby” card was printed last week.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

"Great investment potential."
Really?
Why don't you keep it if it's such a great investment.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Cha.rles He.nry

Dead Centered
Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 PM
D@v3 W@u9h

"Only X graded higher". Irrelevant to what you are actually trying to sell because yours is not graded higher.
1971T NM+ 498/752 (66%)
1954B EXMT+ 82/225 (36%)
1968T NM 173/598 (29%)
1975T NMMT 186/660 (28%)
1969T NM 125/664 (19%)
1971OPC NM 108/752 (14%)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
"Great investment potential."
Really?
Why don't you keep it if it's such a great investment.
Well, they dont want to wait 5 years cause have to pay for their medication/kids college etc now.....

whats worth is when they say its 'worth' X but willing to take more than 20% less......why not just sell it then at auction etc..
Old 03-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Bob McLean

Pack fresh! Minty fresh! Attic find! Beauty! Blah, blah, blah!
Old 03-02-2018, 03:31 PM
D.an Jackso.n

The finest example we have handled....

if it's that nice get your grubby paws off it!!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Brad Francis

When sellers use the term "repo" or "repop" when selling anyyhing that is a reproduction.

It has not been "repossessed" and I dont even know what "repop" even means.

"Repro" would be the proper short form, but even that bugs me. Heck, even anything with the proper label "reprint" or "reproduction" makes me feel blah.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Great call on "repop". Pardon? Repop? Too much repoppage these days.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:49 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Comes from a smoke free, pet free home... who cares what kind of home something is from?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Comes from a smoke free, pet free home... who cares what kind of home something is from?
In the 90s there was a dealer who was a heavy smoker. His packages had an overpowering tobacco odor. A friend of mine who also bought from him would say he had to air the cards out in his back yard for a week.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
In the 90s there was a dealer who was a heavy smoker. His packages had an overpowering tobacco odor. A friend of mine who also bought from him would say he had to air the cards out in his back yard for a week.
Yep. Some items, such as publications and game worn jerseys and the like, really retain the odor of cigarette smoke.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Breathtaking

As in all of Battlefield's posts on eBay.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:00 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

"There will be no lower price ... funds are needed quickly due to family matter."

When the lowest need to go lower in order to sell their overpriced cards this is where they go: the attempt to guilt you into overpaying.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Criminey. . . . just saw "orb" in a new auction. Babe Ruth is about to "launch" an orb. Oh for godssake, give us a break and just say hit a ball. Please. I'm begging.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:26 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Never had that issue, makes sense though...
Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Default Cringey

I didn’t know this was a word until today, but “cringey” is sitting with me like 3-day old gas station sushi.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:25 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I didn’t know this was a word until today, but “cringey” is sitting with me like 3-day old gas station sushi.
Yeah, I always thought it was "cringe-worthy."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

The term "auction house" seems overused to me. A Heritage, fine, but a guy running a small auction out of his rec room or office is not what I would think of as an auction house.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-05-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Joshua

“1933 Goudey rookie card” of ....

Or T206 rookie card of ...

Unless it was his first card as a professional player. Not a rookie card!

The term rookie is another topic of debate...
Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I am buying the card for my personal collection, am no going to resell it...
Well this is true to a degree. There are cards I have kept for 25+ years and will probably give it to my 7 year old when he’s ready.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Bill Scheffel

Default Hobby Terms that Annoy

"Mint for the condition its in!"
Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 AM
Arnie

I hate when i am looking for autographed cards and i get listings for "non-autographed". Lousy a-hole trying to get people like me to see his damn listing, like i am gonna buy it after he aggravates the piss out of me!!!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Vhtf

Old 03-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Anson

"Snow white" balls. Um, no she doesnt
Old 03-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Al Richter

The "Natty" to refer to the National.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
The "Natty" to refer to the National.
Better that than "Nationals" like it's a gymnastic meet.