NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2019, 12:24 PM
John Startleman

Default What Brent Huigens' mindset TRULY is during this scandal

I thought this deserves it's own thread, because it really exposes the mindset of Brent Huigens/PWCC during all this. Not humbled, not empathic, not sympathetic, not helpful, no acceptance, just outright defiance.

In response to a return request based on lack of consumer confidence in PWCC items in light of recent revelations -

"The message boards have many things wrong. This card was not consigned by Gary Moser (just FYI). More importantly It also shows no signs of alteration, and as such this isn’t a card we can directly enforce our return policy.

These boards are out of control in many ways, and are defacing cards for little reason and I’m sorry for this slander against a card you own. If you’d like you can certainly always send the card to PSA for their reconfirmation of the grade and it’s accuracy. Soon we also hope to have a program in place where we can facilitate this review for cards which have been slandered on the boards. If you’d like to check back later this month we hope to have that option in place." - Brent Huigens

These altered cards are "slandered". SLANDERED. Let that wording sink in.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 06-05-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:30 PM
pete ullman

what a DicK!
Old 06-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ping pong. PWCC says go to PSA. PSA says go to the seller.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Sh!t happens right? It happens to everyone... but people make it right. PWCC hasn't. For those of you who have kids, think about the lessons here.

If PWCC refunded me, i would have no problem. If PWCC communicated with me AND proved that the card was not submitted by Moser and was unaltered, I would have no problem.

But the lies have added up... Huigens' word holds zero water. He is obviously in survival mode as his business is probably losing money by the minute and he is treading water to stay afloat.

Its time for us to band together, and fight the system or our hobby will be tarnished forever.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:39 PM

"The message boards have many things wrong. This card was not consigned by Gary Moser (just FYI). More importantly It also shows no signs of alteration, and as such this isn’t a card we can directly enforce our return policy.

So, then one can infer he knows exactly what cards were submitted by Moser! And could start regaining that trust by releasing that list so people would know the cards that have a high probability of being affected.

@ndr3w k3nn3dy
Old 06-05-2019, 12:40 PM
John Startleman

I love how he states "no signs of alteration" when this entire scandal involves cards that were deemed by PSA and BGS to have no signs of alteration. What is he even saying here. He can tell by looking at the card (so he knows better than PSA and/or BGS?), or that he knows Moser or someone else never altered it?

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 06-05-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If you are within the eBay return time frame, send it back under that program. As for Brent's response

Mr. Chow's hand is getting tired dealing with all of the BS from PWCC and PSA.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Taylor Hamilton

He obviously thought his response would make me go away...

it will not.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
He obviously thought his response would make me go away...

it will not.
It's hard to know what he is thinking at this point, in my opinion. Obviously the better course for him would have been just to take it back, or even if he said no, not to go on with that rant about slander.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's hard to know what he is thinking at this point, in my opinion. Obviously the better course for him would have been just to take it back, or even if he said no, not to go on with that rant about slander.
Desperate people do desperate things. He is getting desperate.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
I love how he states "no signs of alteration" when this entire scandal involves cards that were deemed by PSA and BGS to have no signs of alteration. What is he even saying here. He can tell by looking at the card (so he knows better than PSA and/or BGS?), or that he knows Moser or someone else never altered it?
Or worse, he thinks other cards DO show signs of alteration but he still sold them?

Old 06-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Desperate people do desperate things. He is getting desperate.
According to Kevin Mize he is laughing all the way to the bank. Kevin may want to rethink this.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:51 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Or worse, he thinks other cards DO show signs of alteration but he still sold them?
Exactly! He knows THIS one wasn't, but the ones that have been proven to be, he didn't know were? Just goes to show he's either lying or he's a useless idiot.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 06-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_hamilton View Post
sh!t happens right? It happens to everyone... But people make it right. Pwcc hasn't. For those of you who have kids, think about the lessons here.

If pwcc refunded me, i would have no problem. If pwcc communicated with me and proved that the card was not submitted by moser and was unaltered, i would have no problem.

But the lies have added up... Huigens' word holds zero water. He is obviously in survival mode as his business is probably losing money by the minute and he is treading water to stay afloat.

Its time for us to band together, and fight the system or our hobby will be tarnished forever.
yup!
Old 06-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

I think Brent has had a few days to let everything that has happened sink in and is now trying to salvage his business and reputation. Time will tell if it works.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
I think Brent has had a few days to let everything that has happened sink in and is now trying to salvage his business and reputation. Time will tell if it works.
In that regard, he may be his own worst enemy.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Taylor Hamilton

As someone who has been pretty pissed off with this whole situation, I also wanted to keep the group informed...

I submitted a request to ebay and PayPal about an hour ago. PWCC responded right away with this message via ebay:

"Thank you for your participation in our auction and we understand your concerns and we are committed to address any and all issues like this. Please rest assured that for the vast majority of professionally graded items the cards are properly graded and their authenticity is not in question. If you have evidence that a card was altered, we will happily send it in to the grading company for their review and if there is a problem with the item you are entitled to a full refund through our Marketplace Guarantee. If you reach out to our customer service team at their email cs@pwccmarketplace.com we can begin the process for you. Thank you for your understanding."

Then within 30 minutes of receiving that message, I got this message (which would have saved us all a lot of time and pounding on our keyboards):

"Good news! Your return request is approved. The seller will provide you with a return shipping label to send the item back."

I hope we can get this hobby back to a place where it is fun... where we all have the feeling of ripping open packs as kids... and can move away from those trying to take advantage of the hobby and ruin beautiful artifacts of the past.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's great news! Ebay forced his hand, just as we surmised.

Mr. Chow will need to switch to the left hand pretty soon. This corruption ain't going away anytime soon, and that right hand will develop carpal tunnel syndrome before long

Last edited by perezfan; 06-05-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Mr. Chow's hand is getting tired dealing with all of the BS from PWCC and PSA.
Mr Chow's hand does not get tired.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Exactly! He knows THIS one wasn't, but the ones that have been proven to be, he didn't know were? Just goes to show he's either lying or he's a useless idiot.
Why do we have to choose?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Why do we have to choose?
Do you have to?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
As someone who has been pretty pissed off with this whole situation, I also wanted to keep the group informed...

I submitted a request to ebay and PayPal about an hour ago. PWCC responded right away with this message via ebay:

"Thank you for your participation in our auction and we understand your concerns and we are committed to address any and all issues like this. Please rest assured that for the vast majority of professionally graded items the cards are properly graded and their authenticity is not in question. If you have evidence that a card was altered, we will happily send it in to the grading company for their review and if there is a problem with the item you are entitled to a full refund through our Marketplace Guarantee. If you reach out to our customer service team at their email cs@pwccmarketplace.com we can begin the process for you. Thank you for your understanding."

Then within 30 minutes of receiving that message, I got this message (which would have saved us all a lot of time and pounding on our keyboards):

"Good news! Your return request is approved. The seller will provide you with a return shipping label to send the item back."

I hope we can get this hobby back to a place where it is fun... where we all have the feeling of ripping open packs as kids... and can move away from those trying to take advantage of the hobby and ruin beautiful artifacts of the past.
Way to go!

It will be fun again for me when Brenty Mcnumbnuts is behind bars and not 1 minute before. he will just flip it again for more$$$ but who cares. All PWCC cards are tainted much like Barry Halper's collection. one fake, all fake.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Way to go!

It will be fun again for me when Brenty Mcnumbnuts is behind bars and not 1 minute before. he will just flip it again for more$$$ but who cares. All PWCC cards are tainted much like Barry Halper's collection. one fake, all fake.
The problem is that at least within certain classes, you can't tell the good from the bad because you don't know who consigned. Imagine if Brent started titling the relevant cards PWCC-Moser. Actually, way back in the day, I could tell which cards were Gary's by the way he named the files.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-05-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Do you have to?
You were the one who said either or.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 06-05-2019, 02:19 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
You were the one who said either or.
Okay, then either send me $500 or $1,000.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Okay, then either send me $500 or $1,000.
In the spirit of my first answer I choose neither

Old 06-05-2019, 03:24 PM

And despite all of the scandals surrounding PWCC ... his on-going auction is still getting lots of bidding and strong early bidding.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, when only 0.003% of the market is aware of this scandal, that's what you get.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:55 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default What is the card?

Quote:
I thought this deserves it's own thread, because it really exposes the mindset of Brent Huigens/PWCC during all this. Not humbled, not empathic, not sympathetic, not helpful, no acceptance, just outright defiance.

In response to a return request based on lack of consumer confidence in PWCC items in light of recent revelations -

These boards are out of control in many ways, and are defacing cards for little reason and I’m sorry for this slander against a card you own. If you’d like you can certainly always send the card to PSA for their reconfirmation of the grade and it’s accuracy. Soon we also hope to have a program in place where we can facilitate this review for cards which have been slandered on the boards. If you’d like to check back later this month we hope to have that option in place." - Brent Huigens

Out of curiosity, what card is it that you are returning, how do you believe it was altered, and how long ago did you buy it?

I do believe that any card that is within the eBay buyers window should be able to be returned for any reason. Also, I do believe that any card that is shown to be altered should be able to be returned. However, I would not think that PWCC should be required to accept returns on every card they have ever sold based upon this scandal.

As such, I was just wondering if you can give us more info (and ideally photos) about the card in question, so that we can judge his response accordingly.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:

I think this leads credence to the idea of Brent NOT having legal counsel. I would assume legal counsel would tell him to stop posting on message boards and freshen him up on the meaning of "slandered" and its usage.
I'm not an attorney but at least know he isn't using that word appropriately
Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

"You got chocolate in my peanut butter."
"Well, you slandered my baseball card."
Old 06-05-2019, 05:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I predict this will a future Net54 catchphrase: "You just slandered my baseball card."

I officially call trademark for T-shirt and coffee mug purposes.

Last edited by drcy; 06-05-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Can a slandered card sue an anonymous poster?

T227 Cobb vs. 312

Old 06-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
I think this leads credence to the idea of Brent NOT having legal counsel. I would assume legal counsel would tell him to stop posting on message boards and freshen him up on the meaning of "slandered" and its usage.
Just because a lawyer tells a client something doesn't mean the client listens.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are no anonymous posters on this forum (at least that I am aware of). There are some anonymous cards though...

Quote:

T227 Cobb vs. 312
(not mine any longer but probably not trimmed)
Old 06-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There are no anonymous posters on this forum (at least that I am aware of). There are some anonymous cards though...

(not mine any longer but probably not trimmed)
Decent candidate for trimming though.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I predict this will a future Net54 catchphrase: "You just slandered my baseball card."

I officially call trademark for T-shirt and coffee mug purposes.
T-shirts, mugs and F Face cards for everyone at the National!!!!!!!

Look for the variations on the F Face cards too!!!! Collect them all!!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Decent candidate for trimming though.
I was thinking the same thing. Very fat borders. Nice Card that Bender guy.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Serial number them so they can be tracked in the future.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Michael S.

Quote:
Serial number them so they can be tracked in the future.
Yeah, then send them in for grading and consign them through PWCC. You may even get a cool sticker to help increase the revenue from your asset.

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post
Yeah, then send them in for grading and consign them through PWCC. You may even get a cool sticker to help increase the revenue from your asset.
These things are gonna be so nice I think Michael should add it to his want list!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:

T227 Cobb vs. 312
Only until the card dies. After that, the slander claim goes away.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Only until the card dies. After that, the slander claim goes away.
In laboratory tests, Murder erased Slander nine times out of ten.

Brian
Old 06-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Reminds me how some of the names of forfeiture cases are hysterical.

Such as
United States v. One Lucite Ball Containing Lunar Material (One Moon Rock) and One Ten Inch by Fourteen Inch Wooden Plaque

United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls

Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Just because a lawyer tells a client something doesn't mean the client listens.
Amen.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Maybe he can go back into the antique restoration business.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190605-224634.jpg (6.5 KB, 349 views)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
Maybe he can go back into the antique restoration business.
Interesting to see how that "restoration business" translates across various businesses. But don't worry, all is fine.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:

T227 Cobb vs. 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

I took the comment to be possibly a take-off on the old episode where The Bruce's wanted to sue the anonymous archive post, for slander or something.

Didn't the archive post turn out to have been from The Bruces to begin with? Meaning they were going to sue themselves?

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 06-05-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Slander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Are there any grammarians out there? Is it appropriate to say that an inanimate object has been slandered?
Old 06-06-2019, 05:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
Are there any grammarians out there? Is it appropriate to say that an inanimate object has been slandered?
My cards have feelings and reputations, don't yours?