NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Should I go to the National Show or the Hall of Fame?

I firgured a lot of you guys on here have been to both so I thought this would be a good place to ask. Im just a poor working man so Im saving up to go to one or the other next year. Im going to go to both someday but next year will be just one or the other. I love baseball and baseball cards. I like everything from T206s to even some of the shiny stuff. Just wanting some opinions on whats the better pure expereance. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:56 PM

National.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned

Maybe Alan will check in on this.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM

The National without a doubt.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default COOPERSTOWN & The National

I've been setting up at the HOF weekend Cooperstown Show since the 1980's. It's a small show (20
dealers) with some great vintage stuff. Admission is FREE. The HOF weekend is on the last weekend
in July....an all-around tremendous experience. I highly recommend being there.

The following week, I set-up at the National. Can't beat that experience, either.

Hope to see you at both.

TED Z
Old 06-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Don

You can only go to the HOF if 75% or greater of the replies agree.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Tom Boblitt

Nice........
Old 06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Alan Zimmerman

(To qualify the following statement, I have been to the Baseball Hall of Fame on several occasions, but I have not gone to the National.)

Go to the National.

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 06-16-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bowman48 View Post
(To qualify the following statement, I have been to the Baseball Hall of Fame on several occasions, but I have not gone to the National.)
No brainer; go to the National.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Alan Zimmerman

I have gone to the Hall of Fame on several occasions, by myself, and I truly enjoyed the solitary experience. I will be returning to the Hall of Fame again, I am sure, but probably not until I have kids. I want to be able to experience the Hall with a family, rather than on my own again.

I'll probably have to attend the National on my own because I don't personally know anyone else who would want to spend that much time looking at sportscards with me.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Phil Garry

If you are a seriuous collector, the National. If you are more of a serious baseball fan that also enjoys cards, could go either way and maybe try alternating years between the two.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

National. The HOF is nice and all but it is mostly a museum visit, which you can do most any time. And odds are that whoever is being inducted and is alive will be at the National signing anyway.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

Maybe wait until the National is in Cleveland again to make the most of the experience ...
Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 PM

National.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Maybe wait until the National is in Cleveland again to make the most of the experience ...
I recommend foregoing both and trying Wichita!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 PM

No question in my mind; The National.

Provided is a video that has a few scenes from Cleveland '09:

Last edited by asoriano; 06-16-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
David McDonald

Timber: I've been to the BBHoF once and to two Nationals (Anaheim and Chicago). My wife and I had a grand time in Cooperstown and I had a blast at both Nationals, particularly Chicago in '08. Both venues are wonderful for pretty much completely different reasons - awesome baseball history in a charming upstate NY village on the one hand, vintage cardboard in orgasmic proportions plus the opportunity to hang out with legions of charming cardaholics on the other. It's a tough call. If I had six months to live and could only do one or the other I wouldn't want to have missed the Mecca of Baseball, Cooperstown. Swimming upstream here but that's my two centavos.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Matt Hall

It's been a long time since I've been to the National. It was in Los Angeles (where I live) in the early nineties sometime. A great experience.

Never been to the HOF though. I guess you'd have to decide if you want to look at stuff, or if you want to buy stuff.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I haven't been to a National yet but Cooperstown is not to be missed. It's in a beautiful hamlet with just a spectacular setting.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Since you are going next year, I would say the National since it is in Chicago. While I have never been to Chicago, I have never heard anyone say anything bad about it. I would rather go to Chicago, the National and a Cubs game then the HOF. I am spoiled this year, since I am in NJ my girlfriend and I are doing a long weekend to Baltimore (including a 2 day stay in Gettysburg & Orioles on Saturday) for the National and plan on HOF early next spring (only about a 4 hour drive to Cooperstown).

This will be my first National and all it cost me was paying for a day at a spa for my girlfriend so she leaves me alone! haha (as you can imagine, she didn't complain about that trade).
Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Hall of Fame. You can see overpriced cards any time.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Brandon Bailey

I would also go with the National. As great as the HOF is, it is a day trip unless you want to tie it in with the induction ceremonies, Boxing HOF in Canasota or something in upstate NY. The National you can spend days at alone, plus it is usually a good city with some baseball games to attend and whatever else you would like to do.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:34 PM

I have never been to either one(I have been to large card shows and have been to the Football HOF in Canton, Ohio) but I think it really depends on what you want in return from the experience. If you are wanting to be overwhelmed by the massive amounts of collectibles or if you are looking for specific things to buy I would say go to the national. If you want to enjoy the history of the game of baseball and learn more about the players that shape the sport, go to Cooperstown. I don't think you will be disappointed in either one. Let us know what you decide!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Default I have experienced both

Living in New England, I have been to the Hall of Fame about a dozen times. It's a great day trip. The Hall of Fame is just part of the Cooperstown experience. Unfortunately, one of the nicest shops, The National Pastime, closed a few years back. I'll truly miss it when I visit Cooperstown again. There is a lot of other attractions in that area of New York State. I had a really great time at Pudge Fisk's induction ceremony.

I have also been to three Nationals: Cleveland "97, Atlanta, and Atlantic City.
Cleveland was by far the best National of the three. It was also my first National.

Two very different experiences, but both exciting trips, nevertheless.

Patrick
Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Default I'd take the Hall of Fame

Having been in the right place at the right time, my family and I were dealers at the first 5 Nationals (1980-84) and attended the "big" Anaheim show of the early 1990's when 100,000 or so showed. We have been to the National Baseball Hall of Fame twice (1971 and '75). I would choose the Hall of Fame first and the National second. But both are excellent!

Have fun!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Brian T.

To me, the National is not only about the cards, but is more about hanging out with the people. That, to me, puts it over the top.

(been to two Nationals - only one while being a vintage card collector. haven't yet been to the HOF)
Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 PM
qualitycards

Been to the Hall Of Fame several times from the 70's to the 90's
and to the National several times from '84 to '07
Both are great and you can't go wrong which ever you choose
Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Ken McMillan

depends on what you are looking for. National is great if you are there to collect. However, if you have a small list and rarely find anything, you might be disappointed. If you want to see an awesome collection of cards in one place, the national. If you want baseball history, Hall of Fame.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I've been to both numerous times but assuming I started with a clean slate and could only pick one, I would pick the HOF. I'm a softy for baseball history, enjoy being in the country (as opposed to being in an unfamiliar city), and the HOF should be cheaper (better chance you'll go broke at the National).

There is a significant HOF opportunity that few take advange of . . . that is researching items of interest to you in their library. The HOF collection is far greater than what you'll find on display. Make an appointment ahead of time to review books, memorabilia, or cards of most interest to you. As an example, I've been able to view rarely seen Tomlinson cabinets (including several large 16"x20" 19th century Detroit team photos) and hundreds of N172 and N173 cards. I've studied the Old Judge collection on three different visits and learned more each time.

Baseball HOF is a great visit for collectors and historians alike. That being said, I also really enjoy the National but won't be making this year for the first time since maybe 2003.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 06-16-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Both!

I just went to the HOF 2 weeks ago and I am planning on attending the National for the 4th year in a row. The HOF has a great display of baseball cards including the Gretsky Honus Wagner card. I thought the baseball card display was the best feature of the HOF. Don't miss the 1/2 hour movie. Be sure to visit the Negro League section. Some very interesting stories there. Also, check out Doubleday field especially if there is a game being played. The teams playing are made up of 15- 17 year olds who play really well. Stay away from the local card shops on Main street, very overpriced. If you have an AAA card, your entrance fee is discounted.

As far as the National, you can't beat the experience. There are so many tables, that you just don't know where to start. Best part is running into familiar faces from net54 and past shows. By the end of the second day my knees are screaming for me to go back to the hotel and play with my new cards.

Can't go wrong with either choice.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Scott

Both places are awesome. Changes in my life in recent years hasn't allowed me to go to either, sadly. But, Ive been to four nationals in the past and the HOF on several occasions.

For me, I'd pick the HOF, all things being equal. I like the relaxing country around there, tho its getting to "tourist time". I Love going in the fall, beautiful up there. Howe Caverns is an awesome attraction not far from the HOF also.

The national tho is fantastic too. I used to get things at it, but of course, some people treat it like a museum, and you can't get any deals.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Tony Quinn

Default I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Hall of Fame. You can see overpriced cards any time.
Man, that's the nail on the head there!