NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Larry LaFoe

Default What percentage of T206 SGC 80/PSA 6 and above and rare backs are slabbed?

In your opinion, what percentage of T206 SGC 80/PSA 6 and above and rare backs are slabbed?

When looking on eBay, I see a lot of raw cards. However, I rarely see a raw card that would grade higher than a SGC 50/PSA 4. Does that mean most of the SGC80/PSA 6 cards are already slabbed in plastic?

I assume most of the rare backs are slabbed... simply for authentication purposes?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default In 2012...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llafoe View Post
In your opinion, what percentage of T206 SGC 80/PSA 6 and above and rare backs are slabbed?

When looking on eBay, I see a lot of raw cards. However, I rarely see a raw card that would grade higher than a SGC 50/PSA 4. Does that mean most of the SGC80/PSA 6 cards are already slabbed in plastic?

I assume most of the rare backs are slabbed... simply for authentication purposes?
This year on eBay I've picked up two raw T206s that graded 70, and one that graded 80.

--edited to include; each of them was purchased for under $30

Last edited by t206hound; 07-05-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I have over 1000 that are raw and would be in the ex to ex+ range. I also have dozens of rare backs ungraded. I also know of 3 major collections that are all raw. dave. ps I wonder about the large collections like Burdicks that are pasted in albums.....what backs are there?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 PM

I'd say that 70-80% of T206 cards that would grade PSA 6/SGC 80 or higher are now in slabs. Can I back this up with hard evidence? No. It's based on the fact that the vast majority (> 95%) of the raw cards that I now see on eBay are VG-EX or worse (or trimmed). That wasn't the case 8-10 years ago, when you could at least somewhat regularly find EX or better groups of raw T206s fresh to the hobby.

In terms of rare backs, it depends on what you mean by "rare."
Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

An interesting corollary question is what percentage of cards grading 6 and above have not been improved in some way.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Marc S.

Default Fascinating, as always, Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
An interesting corollary question is what percentage of cards grading 6 and above have not been improved in some way.
But it's like proving a negative. There's no possible way to answer that question.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

David did you ever get around to scanning that Brown Lenox of yours so we can see love to see another brown.

Cheers,

John
Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Frank Wakefield

20%

And no, most rare backs aren't slabbed. There are lots of old collectors who care not about slabbing, nor even this board. Old collectors with good stuff...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 07-05-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Larry LaFoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Old collectors with good stuff...
I thought you were talking about me until I read your qualifying last sentence...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

The few tougher backs I have aren't slabbed. And probably won't be for a while since they're pretty much all in the 10-20 range. Maybe 30 on a good day.
I don't see much point in slabbing a worn creased card. The few nice ones I have eventually will be, primarily for the potential resale later on. I know what's what, and my wife knows a bit about cards. No telling wether my daughter will care at all yet. She does think cards are fun, but hasn't been kind to the few I've given her (Relax,they're mostly already creased 88 score) The holders were more fun that the cards.....

Steve B
Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 AM

I would guess more than 80% of the ex/mt and better T206s have been slabbed. Considering that between PSA and SGC more than 200,000 T206s have been graded and generally people are FAR more inclined to grade high grade cards, I think it it is likely that the vast majority of higher end T206s have been graded. Of course I know some old time collectors with nice stuff that has not been graded, but nowhere near the quantity that already has been graded, especially high grade.
JimB
Old 07-06-2012, 09:03 AM

Default Similar question

Here we go again with the, "how many are slabbed question".

Couple weeks ago I asked a similar question and got slammed by most saying I was way off base and a very small percentage of "good" cards were already graded. Hmm, now folks are saying upwards of 80% of rare backs are slabbed ?

I am learning this board is great, but take everything with a grain of salt.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 AM
P@trick R.omolo

As far as rare backs there are not many 6's or higher slabbed. Here's what PSA
has that are six or higher and most are 6's with a couple of 7's.

Uzit 4
Drum 1
Lenox 2
Broadleaf 4
Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Here we go again with the, "how many are slabbed question".

Couple weeks ago I asked a similar question and got slammed by most saying I was way off base and a very small percentage of "good" cards were already graded. Hmm, now folks are saying upwards of 80% of rare backs are slabbed ?

I am learning this board is great, but take everything with a grain of salt.
If you ask a question that has no answer then you should expect to get opinions.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Barry Sloate

People answer this type of questions based on their own proclivity to slab or not to. The raw card guys always say most are raw, and the collectors who have all their cards slabbed always say a high percentage are slabbed. I don't even have to read their responses- I know what it will be just by who they are.

Therefore, what is the point of these informal surveys?

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-06-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
People answer this type of questions based on their own proclivity to slab or not to. The raw card guys always say most are raw, and the collectors who have all their cards slabbed always say a high percentage are slabbed. I don't even have to read their responses- I know what it will be just by who they are.
In my personal collection, 80% of my (approx. 600) T206s are raw and yet my answer was that 80% of high grade T206s are probably already slabbed.
JimB
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Barry Sloate

And yet Jim I knew that both you and Frank would answer the opposite, without even reading your posts. My point is I have no idea which one of you is right, as I don't study this. But what I know for certain is one of you is wrong, since it can't be mostly raw and mostly graded at the same time.

So what is the point of these surveys? Nobody studies the percentage of graded backs, they just guess at it. Is that serving the OP, and even if he got the correct answer does it make a difference?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Barry,
Ok, good point. But in case you are wondering who is right; it is me.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 07-06-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Larry LaFoe

Quote:
Is that serving the OP, and even if he got the correct answer does it make a difference?
Of course it makes a difference. Supply and demand dictates value. If 90% of the PSA 6 and above are slabbed... and there are 45 slabbed, I know there are only 5 raw. If there are 100 collectors for PSA 6 and above, the card is a good value. On the other hand, if only 10% are slabbed... and there are 45 slabbed, I know there are 405 raw. If there are 100 collectors for PSA 6 and above, the card is a poor value.

I know you can only provide your opinion. A collector who has collected for years/decades and attends shows and tracks auctions is certainly more informed than I am... and I value their opinion.

Last edited by llafoe; 07-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Barry,
Ok, good point. But in case you are wondering who is right; it is me.
JimB
Well of course.

Larry- I didn't express myself clearly. Of course if somebody knew the answer with near precision that could be useful information. But if everybody is guessing, and the answers are all over the board, that is not going to help you at all.

If I ask who won the Yankee game, and five people say the Yankees, and the other five say, No it was the Red Sox....I might just as well not asked the question.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Larry LaFoe

Quote:
Well of course.

Larry- I didn't express myself clearly. Of course if somebody knew the answer with near precision that could be useful information. But if everybody is guessing, and the answers are all over the board, that is not going to help you at all.

If I ask who won the Yankee game, and five people say the Yankees, and the other five say, No it was the Red Sox....I might just as well not asked the question.
If I asked 10 people I knew who won the Yankees game... I would know who to believe out of the 10. :-)

That's what I seeking here... who I can believe... who the T206 expert is on this board. Once I determine that I can make more informed decisions. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to make my own decisions. ;-)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
But it's like proving a negative. There's no possible way to answer that question.
Or the OP's question, as the data is simply not available.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

Barry, I figure that both of us are wrong, not just one.

Seems to me that old style, ungraded collectors recognize that some folks collect only graded cards, and want their cards graded; but that some of those collectors of graded cards have a difficult time accepting that some folks don't want graded cards. I think the old style collectors are more aware of other collectors out there who have minimal internet involvement, don't drool on the auction catalogs, don't read this board, and who have no use for the grading companies. Those guys have significant holdings. I don't know much about this black swamp stuff... but I think that those cards weren't graded when "found" (hell, the cards weren't lost, some fellow had known about them for years, and enjoyed them without the internet and grading companies). I think there's bunches more of such "finds". And I think other folks are in disbelief, how could that black swamp guy have been sitting on those cards without spending a fortune with SGC or PSA, then scanning them and putting them on some image hosting place, and all that jazz???

But I do agree that it is a futile question based on opinion and conjecture.

And what's a Mets fan doing wondering about the score of a game from that lesser league?

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 07-06-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by llafoe View Post
Taken literally, the 1st part of the question is a trick. 100% of the T206 SGC 80/PSA 6 and above cards are slabbed--otherwise they don't have an SGC or PSA grade assigned to them.

As for how many unslabbed cards would be considered a 6 or better by PSA or SGC, any answer can be derived only by the SWAG method because we don't know the actual manufacturing numbers of any of the cards or the number of surviving cards so we cannot fill in the denominator of the equation to derive a percentage.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-07-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Frank Wakefield

Adam, I'd think that a few of those 80/6 cards have been busted out... although I can see that some would no longer deem them an 80 or a 6 once liberated.