NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-11-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Do you post your collection online?

hello,
i ask because some collectors post each and every single time they get a new item, while others never post a single item from their collection. was wondering who likes to post their items and why those that dont, dont like to post their items/collections? there was talk before that most people dont like to post their collections online in fear that someone might track it down and steal it. in your opinion is it safe to post ones collection on line anymore? thanks
Old 08-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Don't know if this question is specific to autographs but I and a lot of other collectors have much or all of our collections online. And my guess is far more don't than do. But you would have to get their answers as to why they don't., I am sure it's a lot of different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
hello,
i ask because some collectors post each and every single time they get a new item, while others never post a single item from their collection. was wondering who likes to post their items and why those that dont, dont like to post their items/collections? there was talk before that most people dont like to post their collections online in fear that someone might track it down and steal it. in your opinion is it safe to post ones collection on line anymore? thanks
Old 08-11-2018, 06:14 PM

thanks Leon for your response, I appreciate it. yes,exactly my point! id love to here from others on their reasons on why they DONT post their collection online. would love to hear the pros and cons of it. thank you
Old 08-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Free templates for forgers? No, thanks. This applies to all aspects of collecting in every field. Also, what on earth is of personal benefit to spending all that time showcasing your items if it's not from a sales standpoint?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:11 PM
M@++ Cyganik

I would imagine there’s a privacy element to it, especially for high end collectors and bidders. If someone routinely shows off that they can afford to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on a niche market like sports memorabilia (even more so opposed to traditionally flashy consumerist statuses such as cars, real estate, fashion, travel etc) and can be identified by name, there’s a door open for crimes of opportunity with theft/burglary/defrauding etc. “Hey that guy dropped $70k on bats the past 2 months and lives in my area... I wonder what else he has in his house...”

Also I think people get tired of it. I know a forum like this can appreciate some obscure item from a middling ballplayer from 100 years ago, but most of my friends who are ardent baseball fans only have a cursory appreciation for my finds. After awhile people end up realizing that while they might have a coveted item, no one is going to appreciate the item as much as they do as long as they still have the item.

I think most people at the end of the day just want to have a collection for personal enjoyment and to show a few trusted friends, maybe have some kind of investment for retirement and/or to pass on. And for many, especially the ones spending the real high prices on 1 of a kind memorabilia, it’s an investment of surging stock prices more than a collection.

I like showing off my new finds, but that’s also because my budget is very tiny so anything I get is usually a lucky break and a thrill to find than it is “hey, look what I spent on this”.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Terry Lake

Default post online

I post all of my slabbed autographs online at Sportscollectors.net. They have a nice systems at if you are out and about the pics are at your fingertips.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Free templates for forgers? No, thanks. This applies to all aspects of collecting in every field. Also, what on earth is of personal benefit to spending all that time showcasing your items if it's not from a sales standpoint?
I like to look at them online, is that ok?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth2.jpg (75.5 KB, 190 views)
Old 08-12-2018, 03:25 PM

the reason I was thinking of posting my collection is to have a place where I can have a visual documentation of my collection for insurance purposes if I ever need too as, I believe most insurance companies require photo proof that you actually had/owned the items being claimed. just thinking long term.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Jeff Lazarus

For me, I don't know of anyone in my personal life who has much of an appreciation for the items I collect. (They might think a Jackie Robinson autograph is neat, but have no appreciation [for example] on the fact it's a Negro League signed baseball from players who were on the team for one of th earlier Integrated Barnstorming tours... which for me makes all the difference.)

Here is a place that there are other people who share some of my interest in the history of baseball; in items that others may view as obscure, boring or strange.

So yeah, I like to share.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:39 AM
Wayne Walker

I keep most of the higher-value items in a safety deposit box, so keeping and going through scans of them is a way to stay close to the collection, even if it is locked away.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Michael

Mine are locked away but have scans on my computer and a flickr account I have shared on here
Old 08-13-2018, 01:04 PM

You have to be careful, but for SURE, it is great to showcase what you have. We collectors don't have many people we can share our PC's with in person.....so the internet helps a great deal.... I have a site showing mine.

billshofautographs.weebly.com
HOFCollector on YouTube
Old 08-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I have my stuff on collector focus.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Sean Costello

I wouldn't be on here Net54baseball if I didn't want to post my collection.

Last edited by Sean; 08-13-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Don't know if this question is specific to autographs but I and a lot of other collectors have much or all of our collections online. And my guess is far more don't than do. But you would have to get their answers as to why they don't., I am sure it's a lot of different reasons.
I have a softback book of Leon's old collection.

It made me think about documenting my 'permanent' items in publication software. Include estimated values and you've got a cool item which can also be used by your heirs if you croak prematurely.