NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 PM

Default Why No Food Inserts in the 2010s?

To me the fun of card collecting is to put a set together card by card. Food inserts are perfect for this type of collecting. But there haven't been any food inserts in years, why? It seems like MLB and the player's association have made Topps the only company that can sell baseball cards. So fun food inserts are out I guess until things change.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kirk View Post
To me the fun of card collecting is to put a set together card by card. Food inserts are perfect for this type of collecting. But there haven't been any food inserts in years, why? It seems like MLB and the player's association have made Topps the only company that can sell baseball cards. So fun food inserts are out I guess until things change.
I do miss getting cards in cereal, bread, and desserts like in the 80's.

Wonder Bread used to have Star Wars cards in packages.

Last edited by JWBlue; 09-26-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:50 AM
FredYoung

I think it's strictly because licensing costs have gone so high, w/ MLB & the MLBPA wanting so much bigger piece of the pie! It's just not feasable anymore for the candy or food mfrs to use cards as a come-on.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Al Richter

Default Marvin Miller did it...

Starting in 68 and 69 he got the players organized and focused on what they were leaving on the table for likeness licenses. Their power grew from then. They took on Topps in those years and won, which is why there are so many old and hatless and airbrushed cards in those sets. Then the owners got in on it. I think Fred is right on

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-27-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Al Richter

Default Marvin Miller did it...

Double post

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-28-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:08 AM

Plus with player salaries so high, there is little incentive or need for extra money for promo sort of cards, like the food/cereal/bread cards which at one time were quite common.

If you are making 10 to 20 million per year, there is no pressure on the Players Union to find extra income opportunities for the players.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Plus with player salaries so high, there is little incentive or need for extra money for promo sort of cards...If you are making 10 to 20 million per year, there is no pressure on the Players Union to find extra income opportunities for the players.
Trust me, this is not the reason - in the players' eyes, the more the better. Makes no difference how much they make. It'd be "free money" in their minds because they don't really have to do anything to get it.

MLB has made the fees so high for companies to license their products, it's just generally not a cost-effective move for the food companies.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
MLB has made the fees so high for companies to license their products, it's just generally not a cost-effective move for the food companies.
These days, it should be MLB paying the other companies to include cards in their products so more people would know that baseball cards are still a thing.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:28 AM

I think we as collectors also had become a little too obsessive. The older sets were often product stained and miscut. I had a friend that worked for Kraft in the 1980's, and the stories he told about people trying to send Mac and Cheese boxes back because they rubbed against the others during packing/shipping, and the card weren't 'Mint' anymore.