NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Robert D. Hysell

Default Best pack,you ever open!No inserts!

Way back in 1976,when I was 11 years old.I open a pack of baseball cards.Inside of it was,{not} in this order?ALL-TIME GREATS, Babe Ruth,550.Hank Aaron & 240.Pete Rose cards!Don"t think i have jump so high in my life at that time? Would be one hell of a start for a team!Again not counting inserts card here!ROB
Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Ron

Only one pack sticks out in my mind as being memorable. I grew up in Cincinnati during the Big Red Machine era. My Mom had this theory that Topps, in an effort to boost sales, would put fewer cards of the Reds in packs being sold in Cincinnati, forcing kids to buy more cards in the desire to land one of the hometown heroes. I was eight years old when the baseball cards came out in 1973. My Dad picked up two packs on his way home from work; one for me and one for my little brother. Sure enough, the very top card in my pack was Johnny Bench!

Another moment of disbelief for my Mom came in 1976, when I pulled a Pete Rose out of a box of Frosted Flakes.

I still have both of the cards.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:04 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Exhibit cello, pulled the Mantle with the 1951 rookie patch

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-06-2016, 05:19 PM
David M.

We felt the same way your mother did Ron, except it was for our beloved Cardinals. I remember pulling a 1971 Gibson out of a pack. That was a great find for a young diehard Cardinal fan!
Old 10-06-2016, 05:30 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Bought a pack of 78 opc for like twenty bucks last year on eBay. Pulled an Eddie Murray rookie. It was oc but still really awesome.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Paul Herbener

1974 Topps Hank Aaron #1 Home Run King! I was 7 years old. I remember getting what seemed like 20 Aaron specials but could never get the big one. Can't tell you how excited I was to finally pull that one!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

1964 - Checking out at the A&P, Mom gives me a nickel and I get my first pack- no Mantle, but a Bobby Richardson and that was good enough - at the time.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

opening packs with rookies of bonds and maddux were always exciting... at the time. A few years ago i opened a pact with a 1952 reprint willie mays which was signed.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Pete Sycks

It was fun getting a '84 Topps Mattingly on the one pack I bought at the store that day when I was a kid.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 10-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I bought one "pack" of these 1930 Rogers Peet cards on ebay about 12-15 yrs ago....asked the seller if they had anymore and then bought 4 more just like them. They got them from their deceased relative, who worked for Rogers Peet, as they were going through one of his clothes drawers. They all had Cobbs and all ended up grading 6-8.... Each pack was $200...

Last edited by Leon; 10-07-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:47 AM
octavio ranzola

75 topps minis ,,,don't remember what I pulled .got them from my dad who was candy and tabacco wholesaler ,,

Last edited by rjackson44; 10-07-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 AM
Rich Klein

When Al Rosen made his famed Paris Tennessee Find I opened a few 1960 Topps Packs at John Broggi's store.

In the first few packs, I got a Mickey Mantle #350 card and realized I could not do any better. Such a thrill back the 1980's to get a Mantle from a pack.

Rich
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Mark

In 1974, opening a pack and getting THREE Washington Nat'l Lea. Cards.

I had only heard rumours about them until then.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Maybe 10 yrs ago I negotiated a large deal with a guy and it included an unopened 57 Topps pack. As soon as I got home I washed my hands and opened the pack up. Out came a mint Clemente. Sold it for a nice profit and was later told PSA gave it a 9. I think we both did very well on the deal. Wish I still had the cards

Member since 2009
Old 10-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

In 1975 my friends and I were into hockey cards. I opened a pack after school and pulled a Stan Mikita, which was a very big card among my peers at the time. I don't have it any more but this is what it looked like:

I also recall the summers of 1975 and 1976 pulling Hank Aaron cards from packs. He was my favorite player at the time. I don't have the 1975 but this is the actual 1976 card I pulled in 1976:

In modern times, so to speak, my best pack pull was this:

It's an insert...but I really like it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-07-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Jimmy

I was 8 or 9 and pulled a Ricky Henderson RC card from a 1980 Topps pack

After so many years of collecting, I still look back at that day

Jimmy
Old 10-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
When Al Rosen made his famed Paris Tennessee Find I opened a few 1960 Topps Packs at John Broggi's store.

In the first few packs, I got a Mickey Mantle #350 card and realized I could not do any better. Such a thrill back the 1980's to get a Mantle from a pack.

Rich
Rich - Was that his store in Highland Park, NJ?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:55 PM
T0dd M@rcum

During the height of Murphy mania, I'm guessing 87 or so, I bought a 1977 pack and pulled a nice Murphy rookie. I was happy about that. Also chewed the gum. Was less happy about that.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Brian Taylor

Bought packs at the little neighborhood produce stand/convenience store when I first started collecting. I still remember that thrill when opening a 1970 Topps and getting Denny McLain, the "hero" for my Tigers! Future developments would change his hero status, but the thrill of first seeing that card in the pack as an eight year-old remains a great memory!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Jeff Lar.son

My first ever pack - a 1984 Donruss rack that had a Mattingly, my favorite player. I was hooked.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:02 PM
rgpete

These were opened by a vendor in front of me at Columbus Flea Market, NJ in the early 80's and selling on the spot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stand ups 001.jpg (75.8 KB, 265 views)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:47 PM

Not vintage but pulling an Upper Deck Griffey Jr in 1989 was pretty exciting for a 15 year old
Old 10-07-2016, 04:59 PM
ThreadKiller

Default 72's

earliest recollection was 1972 Topps- WTF was a "boyhood photo of the "stars" when the first card I ever recall seeing from an unopened pack was Bob Bailey??? was BOB BAILEY ever a "star"?????

didn't have ANY clue (SABR-wise, etc) what determined what a "star" was, but...1972 Topps devirginized THIS (at the time) 7-year old to cards, and it's been (lovingly, in so many ways) all downhill (?) since then.

DS
Old 10-07-2016, 07:55 PM

In the early 1980s, I bought two packs of Japanese baseball cards, containing one card each. I opened the first one, and it was Sadaharu Oh. I kept the second one sealed because I knew it couldn't get any better. I still have both.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:54 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Not vintage but pulling an Upper Deck Griffey Jr in 1989 was pretty exciting for a 15 year old
That was fun in 89...the whole 80's was fun opening all that junk wax.

One of the coolest pack openings for me was in 1991. I was not collecting at the time and was with my wife shopping. Bored I found a box of wax packs at the mall and bought a couple packs. Hated the cards immediately, haha. A couple packs in I pull a 1970 Topps Cito Gaston (semi-high) card. I was SHOCKED. It was super crisp, but severely OC. I then read on the wrapper that they were inserting vintage cards in packs as a promotion. I went home and threw the little stack of cards in a drawer and forgot about them. When I got back into collecting vintage sets I remembered that pull...dug until I found that Cito, and made sure that card was in my 1970 set. That was the year I was born...so to me it is SUPER cool I have a 1970 card in my set I pulled from a pack. Kind of geeky...but I love it, it's my favorite card in that binder.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 10-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Jonathan Sterling

1969 about this time of year I was in the Pharmacy in my town I had not purchased any cards since the school year had ended back in June but the counter guy told me and my friend that this was the Mantle series so I was all in with my quarter allowance. We both pulled one and my neighbor the Met fan traded me his for a Tommie Agee. And as the miracle of 1969 unfolded every kid in my class said I got the short end of the deal. Tough being a Yankee fan when I was a kid but it built character...lol
J
Old 10-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Here is a fairly recent story. I bought tons of packs of cards before I ever got into vintage collecting and I'm sure I pulled some great cards but one thing I was never able to do was pull a Griffey rookie from a 89 Upper Deck pack. I am a huge Griffey fan and have always wanted to but for some reason never picked the right pack or even box.

Flash forward to this past summer. Myself and five others, including my 20 year old son, went on a road trip to Cooperstown to see the Hall Of Fame. Being it was Griffey's induction year it made it fitting. I bought a box of 89 Upper Deck from a board member to split up and break while we were up there. Each of us got six packs to open and we ended up making up a game of what we pulled. In the back of my mind I was hoping that I might be lucky enough to pull the Griffey but the odds were against me.

We sat around a table at the hotel after going to the HOF on day one and discussed how to pick the packs. My son says "I think we should go oldest to youngest" trying to give me the honors of first pick. I replied "No. Youngest to oldest" letting him go first. He pulles out a pack opened it up and the third card in pulls the Griffey. He shows it to me then apologizes knowing how much I hoped I could get one. I couldn't be happier.

My son and I are very close and share a lot of interest but he isn't much of a baseball fan and never collected cards. That pack was the very first one he ever opened and he got a Griffey!

I know you can get raw examples for very little but the fact that he is the one that pulled it and then thought of me before him makes me so proud of the man he is becoming.

Besides collecting baseball my other hobby is building display cases. I told him I would design and build a case for him containing memories of our trip including tickets, pins (which he collects), and of course the Griffey. I'm looking forward to making it and giving it to him.

Drew
Old 10-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Jason Albregts

The fist pack I ever opened in '79 had a Mike Schmidt. I was more excited about the John Urrea because he was a Cardinal.

During the FF Bill Ripken craze I took a chance on a $2 pack (big money in '89) and pulled one. The dealer offered me $200 on the spot and I should have taken it. Ended up trading it for a friend's entire collection a few years later.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Mike Lenart

Default Jimmie Hall?

It might sound silly but I think I was the most excited when I pulled Jimmie Hall out of a first series 1969 Topps pack.

My cousin and I collected baseball cards and we always traded our duplicates with each other. One day, we were trading and he needed a Jimmie Hall. I had one but no duplicate. I thought about it and broke my own rule and traded it to him, a card I only had one of. I thought I'd easily get another one.

As the days went by, got all the cards in the first series except Jimmie Hall. Would go to the corner store, lay my nickel on the counter, take my pack outside, open it up, put gum in mouth, not get Jimmie and threw cards (and wrapper) into garbage can on corner and go back in store.....

As a 12 year old I started to panic. Not only was the second series just about to start but my supply of nickels was going down!

Finally pulled him from a pack. Major relief. All was right in the world again.

Mike
Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great story, Mike (and others too). Thanks for sharing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
It might sound silly but I think I was the most excited when I pulled Jimmie Hall out of a first series 1969 Topps pack.

My cousin and I collected baseball cards and we always traded our duplicates with each other. One day, we were trading and he needed a Jimmie Hall. I had one but no duplicate. I thought about it and broke my own rule and traded it to him, a card I only had one of. I thought I'd easily get another one.

As the days went by, got all the cards in the first series except Jimmie Hall. Would go to the corner store, lay my nickel on the counter, take my pack outside, open it up, put gum in mouth, not get Jimmie and threw cards (and wrapper) into garbage can on corner and go back in store.....

As a 12 year old I started to panic. Not only was the second series just about to start but my supply of nickels was going down!

Finally pulled him from a pack. Major relief. All was right in the world again.

Mike
Old 10-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I know that some of you have seen this before on this forum....but, I think it's worth repeating for those who have not.

In the Fall of 1952, I opened up a 1952 TOPPS Hi# waxpack to find these 5 cards......

After 64 years they remain in my 1952 Topps 525-card (Master) set. Need 30 more mid-Series Gray-backs to complete.

TED Z
Old 10-11-2016, 04:06 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

Ted Z

What about the Sweet Cap pack? JK.....That is neat you kept those all these years.

Jason
Old 10-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Robert J. Miller

I bought a cello pack of 1980 topps about three years ago. The cello on the back was loose so I figured it was searched..............until I opend it and pulled the Henderson rookie. It graded a PSA 9. Needless to say, I was very happy.

Also in the early 1980's at a local flea market, I opened a few packs of 1967 Fleer Football. The packs back then were only $5.00 I think. Pulled several stars but I can't remember which ones other than a Paul Horning.

Robert
Old 10-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I purchased two boxes of 1986 DonRuss in 1990 and pulled a Canseco and a McGriff in the same pack. As soon as I hit those two I told my buddy he could have the last two packs. Of course what does he immediately pull? You guessed it, another Canseco. I ended up pulling two Canseco's, two Fielders, and a McGriff. Sold the other box at a show a couple weeks later and purchased my first 89 UD Griffey and a box of 1990 Leaf which yielded me my first Frank Thomas. Man did I have the bug. Of course any one of these cards can be purchased for $10-$15 everyday all day on Ebay.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Andr3w Gr0ssman

About 10 or 12 years ago I bought one pack of 1986 Topps football at a card shop for 18.00 and pulled a Jerry Rice rookie. It was worth 100.00 at the time.

Collecting pre war baseball and football, Dodgers team sets from all years, all baseball HOFers, NFL Hall of Famers, Los Angeles Rams oddballs and San Diego State football/baseball/basketball rare and oddball items.

Last edited by argpdt; 10-11-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:05 AM
Scott

My late friend had a big deal w Mr. Mint years back and the day before, he sold me some 1965 cello packs for ten bucks each

ended up opening them of course and getting Clemente,Maris, McCovey and Koufax among the cards. Damn, wish I had those gorgeous cards or the packs still.

I know you are resting in peace too Famous Neil. We all miss you.a One of a kind person
Old 10-12-2016, 07:08 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Back in 61 when I started collecting, every pack that had a Mantle or Maris card were the best packs. Collected everything and anything to do with the M&M boys.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard