NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2023, 05:07 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Value of Willie Mays cards - already peaked? Or more room at the top?

I am debating where to turn next with my Grail Card chase…. This is a bit of an uncomfortable topic so forgive me if it’s insensitive to ask.

But I would appreciate hearing others perspective (or even analysis) of the expected value of Willie Mays early issue cards (like his Bowman RC) before or after he passes. I didn’t study it carefully, but Hank Aaron’s passing seemed to coincide with COVID shut-in which double impacted his RC to very high costs.

What do you think? Do you expect it will cost much more for a Mays RC after he passes? Or is that growth in value and appreciation for his greatness already baked into the value of the card?

Thanks for your thoughts/advice

Jeff
Old 04-25-2023, 06:48 AM
Jeremy

This may not help much, because I can't say how high the bump will be or how lasting it will be. But my suspicion is, when Mays passes (and I hope not for a while), that there will be a tremendous amount of attention paid to it around baseball. I think they will introduce some kind of Willie Mays Award, there might be a push to retire 24 around baseball, and most importantly, I think there will be a move to sort of canonize him as the Greatest of All-Time. Baseball doesn't quite have its Gretzky, Jordan, or Brady, and while most would say Babe Ruth, the problem is that now that they have declared the Negro Leagues to be Major Leagues, it is problematic to have a GOAT who played segregated baseball. So Willie Mays seems like a logical choice for many reasons. I think future generations of baseball fans will hear much more about Willie Mays than Mickey Mantle because of this.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 04-25-2023, 06:51 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I am debating where to turn next with my Grail Card chase…. This is a bit of an uncomfortable topic so forgive me if it’s insensitive to ask.

But I would appreciate hearing others perspective (or even analysis) of the expected value of Willie Mays early issue cards (like his Bowman RC) before or after he passes. I didn’t study it carefully, but Hank Aaron’s passing seemed to coincide with COVID shut-in which double impacted his RC to very high costs.

What do you think? Do you expect it will cost much more for a Mays RC after he passes? Or is that growth in value and appreciation for his greatness already baked into the value of the card?

Thanks for your thoughts/advice

Jeff
I hate thinking about these things but if you want a strait forward answer this is the best I can give...More for several months...then will level off.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:06 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
This may not help much, because I can't say how high the bump will be or how lasting it will be. But my suspicion is, when Mays passes (and I hope not for a while), that there will be a tremendous amount of attention paid to it around baseball. I think they will introduce some kind of Willie Mays Award, there might be a push to retire 24 around baseball, and most importantly, I think there will be a move to sort of canonize him as the Greatest of All-Time. Baseball doesn't quite have its Gretzky, Jordan, or Brady, and while most would say Babe Ruth, the problem is that now that they have declared the Negro Leagues to be Major Leagues, it is problematic to have a GOAT who played segregated baseball. So Willie Mays seems like a logical choice for many reasons. I think future generations of baseball fans will hear much more about Willie Mays than Mickey Mantle because of this.
I hesitate to say it, but I would agree for the most part. I think we've seen a stabilization of Post-War vintage, for now, at least until the next shoe drops. I hate to talk about the potential of one of the all time greats of the game passing away, especially because at the end of the day, he's a person.

I think baseball, for the most part, truly functions without having the "Greatest of All Time" debate, constantly. Too many different eras and changes, history is also greatly ingrained within the game. Fans of the Negro Leagues, Cuban Leagues, etc do not represent the majority. Takes someone with a passion for the history of our game to really get involved with that aspect of the games past.

However, I hope concerning your last point, you are correct, as it will make it a little bit easier to finish up my Mantle run, if that becomes the case!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

There will be tremendous media attenion and accolades when Mays passes. One of the ultimate icons in the sport. Having said that, his cards have run up a ton and I'd be real surprised if a lot of people wake up the next day and decide for the first time that they want to spend $50,000 on a Mays card.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-25-2023 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I thought for years when Berra passed his cards would jump. It took covid to get any such movement in price on his cards. He is one of the single most underrated players. Might be since he was known for being a clown, but his prowess is right up there with some of the best.

Mays, has really taken off post covid. Maybe some of his signed cards might jump, but he hasnt signed since early 2010s I believe. That being said I would think a slight bump, then the sellers come out in droves, and there is a plateau. I really cant see anyone not knowing who Mays was, and all of a sudden needs a 10k card of his

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-25-2023, 08:17 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

This is all very helpful - thx all… I am less interested in buy/sell after a run up in value as I am to not have to spend up considerably later if I choose to add a nice early Mays, like his 51 Bowman.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:44 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Predicting prices, especially in the short run, is a fool’s errand. Not that any of us are any better over the long term…

Having said that, my sense is that when Hammerin’ Hank left us, everyone looked around and realized that Willie was the oldest living HOFer, and as such it was just a matter of time. While prices since the pandemic are more broadly up ~300%, a lot of the Mays pieces are up 500%+, and in some cases more like 1000%. As such, I suspect that some or all of the action is already priced in.

At the same time, betting against increases in future prices for Mays has been a seriously losing bet for some time now. So the current elevated prices could get even more extreme when the end for Willie actually arrives.

Here’s hoping he still has a few more decades left in the tank.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-25-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:42 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If Willie makes it a few more decades he will be know for a lot more than just baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Predicting prices, especially in the short run, is a fool’s errand. Not that any of us are any better over the long term…

Having said that, my sense is that when Hammerin’ Hank left us, everyone looked around and realized that Willie was the oldest living HOFer, and as such it was just a matter of time. While prices since the pandemic are more broadly up ~300%, a lot of the Mays pieces are up 500%+, and in some cases more like 1000%. As such, I suspect that some or all of the action is already priced in.

At the same time, betting against increases in future prices for Mays has been a seriously losing bet for some time now. So the current elevated prices could get even more extreme when the end for Willie actually arrives.

Here’s hoping he still has a few more decades left in the tank.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

IMO if you want a Mays card buy it when the right one comes along that speaks to you. Stop overanalyzing this and other purchases.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-25-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:06 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

For the most part I'd say it's already baked in. Maybe there's a bit of a bump in prices for like a month or so but probably more for his later cards than for his rookie card. I do agree in the long run (say 25 years from now) that Mays will catch up to or move ahead of Mantle prices as I expect the people who have an interest in collecting vintage baseball cards then will be disproportionately sabermetricians, and I think those folks all pretty much agree that Mays was the better player. Whether those 2048 prices will be higher than 2023 prices I have no idea. I expect I'll be out of the hobby by then.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:26 AM
Albert Bee

Default Say Wow

yes, in a few decades Mays would be ...Oh...about 133 yr old
Old 04-25-2023, 10:32 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
yes, in a few decades Mays would be ...Oh...about 133 yr old
Hey, don't underestimate the power of diet pills and exercise.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:06 PM
Drew W@i$e

Bottom line is this.... Iconic players' card prices don't go down in the long term. Find what you want and buy it.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:49 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Willie passed the iconic status a long time ago.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:49 PM
Brendan Mullen

Uncomfortable topic for sure. But I have a Willie Mays game used bat that I will be selling after he passes for the same exact reason. But i hope not for a really long while...
Old 04-25-2023, 01:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

He is 91 years old. I find it unlikely this sign already priced in for the most part, probably a small short term bump for a few weeks. Hopefully I am wrong and our members will be able to eek more profit margin than I expect out of his death.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:05 PM

I think it will go down a lot further before it starts going up again, I think most of the 1950’s and up will fall a lot further before they start going up again.
There is just to many available easy to find. Every vintage table has tons of 50’s and 60’s so boring. Stick with pre war
Old 04-25-2023, 01:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

422. Mourning Track Power
Buying up cards of a very old former player for the sole purpose of selling them at exorbitant prices on the gigantic bubble that will surely come after he passes away.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-25-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Very good, Darren. LOL.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:45 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK View Post
I think it will go down a lot further before it starts going up again, I think most of the 1950’s and up will fall a lot further before they start going up again.
There is just to many available easy to find. Every vintage table has tons of 50’s and 60’s so boring. Stick with pre war
t206s and 33 goudeys are more plentiful than 1952 topps!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-25-2023, 01:48 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

1951 Bowman and 1952 Topps in high grade will continue to go up whether he passes or not. Low grade cards of these issues will likely not. They will settle at a consistent price. He signed a ton over the years but his autograph will see a small spike when he dies although he has not signed in many years so his supply has been the same over those years as it will be when he passes.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
A card for every thread.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51B MAys.jpg (199.5 KB, 650 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-25-2023, 02:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
IMO if you want a Mays card buy it when the right one comes along that speaks to you. Stop overanalyzing this and other purchases.
This.

If you have the money set aside and the card speaks to you and you are going to have it for a good long time, the rest is academic.

And a card...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-25-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:15 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

This is my favorite Willie Mays item. It has been appraised at $0.

My family loved Willie Mays; my mom's dad owned a jewelry store in the Bay Area that served many of the Giants players families and Willie gave my mother a personalized signed photo when she was a little girl, which still hangs on her living room wall 50 something years later. Willie was as cool as baseball history got in our house. When I was really little, my favorite card was the 1966 Willie Mays, because it was Willie and I liked the 66 design. I got one for like $5 off eBay in its early days, which was over a months allowance money ($1 for trash, the dishes, vacuuming and dusting each week) at the time and a big deal. And so when Halloween rolled around, I told my Dad I wanted to go as Willie Mays 1966 card. Not Willie Mays, but Willie Mays' baseball card specifically. And so my Dad, who is no artist, did the best he could and made this with two pieces of sandwich board. Simplified the back cartoon and cut off the hometown and copyright lines, but everything else is as good as we could make it. ~7 year old me got to run around with this and a sugar high. I was happy. Dad was probably happy he didn't have to do this again and could stop trying to draw. I wore it like 3 halloweens in a row without any sense of shame. I don't think anyone in town got it except the guy who ran the local comic book/card store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0662.jpg (184.7 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0663.jpg (197.9 KB, 597 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 05:18 AM
Albert Bee

Default Mays

Now that's a cool old story !!
Old 04-26-2023, 06:25 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

My family loved Willie Mays; my mom's dad owned a jewelry store in the Bay Area that served many of the Giants players families and Willie gave my mother a personalized signed photo when she was a little girl, which still hangs on her living room wall 50 something years later. Willie was as cool as baseball history got in our house. When I was really little, my favorite card was the 1966 Willie Mays, because it was Willie and I liked the 66 design. I got one for like $5 off eBay in its early days, which was over a months allowance money ($1 for trash, the dishes, vacuuming and dusting each week) at the time and a big deal. And so when Halloween rolled around, I told my Dad I wanted to go as Willie Mays 1966 card. Not Willie Mays, but Willie Mays' baseball card specifically. And so my Dad, who is no artist, did the best he could and made this with two pieces of sandwich board. Simplified the back cartoon and cut off the hometown and copyright lines, but everything else is as good as we could make it. ~7 year old me got to run around with this and a sugar high. I was happy. Dad was probably happy he didn't have to do this again and could stop trying to draw. I wore it like 3 halloweens in a row without any sense of shame. I don't think anyone in town got it except the guy who ran the local comic book/card store.
Best

Dad

Ever!
Old 04-26-2023, 07:46 AM
D@le Irv*n

Great story, Greg!

My 52 Topps Mays. Real curious what this one would grade out as? I'm hoping a 4 but maybe I'm being too optimistic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willie Mays 1.jpg (196.2 KB, 459 views)

Last edited by irv; 04-26-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:34 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:

This is what it’s all about. Incredible!
Old 04-26-2023, 08:54 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Your dad is one hell of a good guy.

This statement below made me realize how young you are though and I now am having an existential 'old man' moment, lol

Quote:
When I was really little, my favorite card was the 1966 Willie Mays, because it was Willie and I liked the 66 design. I got one for like $5 off eBay in its early days, which was over a months allowance money ($1 for trash, the dishes, vacuuming and dusting each week) at the time and a big deal.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:38 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Sliding In !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D4CE1F1A-7E82-4549-89A6-FD493C9771D9.jpg (198.7 KB, 452 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 10:51 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Great story, Greg!

My 52 Topps Mays. Real curious what this one would grade out as? I'm hoping a 4 but maybe I'm being too optimistic?
If the back is clean, a 4 should be reasonable based on the front scan.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:18 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Sliding In !
Sweet!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 04-26-2023, 12:05 PM

Default That is awesome

Quote:

Awesome
Old 04-27-2023, 01:37 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Great story, Greg!

Yes, assuming no hidden flaws, this would be a lock as a 4 with both PSA and SGC. No chance at a 5. Probably gets a 4 at SGC 99 times out of 100, and a 4 at PSA 85 times out of 100, and a 3 the other 15 times.
Old 04-27-2023, 01:45 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Historically speaking, the market typically doesn't move much for athletes whose deaths aren't a surprise. They really only spike when it's a tragic unexpected death, like in the case of Kobe Bryant. For Mays, the data would suggest there is likely to be a very small, short-term increase in prices, but not a big movement. People have been discussing his age and the likelihood that he won't be with us much longer for several years now. The efficient market hypothesis suggests that his death is already priced in, as it's an expected relatively near-term event.

Also, autograph prices typically see a larger increase after a player's death than regular card prices do, if that's of any help.

Let's hope this is still all several years away though. Mays is the GOAT. No question in my mind.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:55 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Deleted

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 04-27-2023 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:09 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
This is all very helpful - thx all… I am less interested in buy/sell after a run up in value as I am to not have to spend up considerably later if I choose to add a nice early Mays, like his 51 Bowman.
I feel a card like this is much like your dream home. Can you afford a 30% down payment in the house and area you'd like to live in forever. Can you pay it off in 15 years or less?

Can you afford a card like that without taking away from retirement, kids education, monthly expenses, 10% saved for home repairs annually? is your home paid off? Do you have at least 24 months FU fund in cash? Ifsofatso, now your ready to buy the card at whatever the price. It really won't matter if it's for your collection if you find the card you'll love.

Unless you like to shoot from the hip, gamble with your families future or flip it, LOL.

But seriously, get the card when it's right for you...and then don't look back. GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-27-2023, 07:23 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Amazing you still have it! It's beautiful and so is the story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Great story, Greg!

If the back is nice, my guess would be 3.5 to 4. Nice looking card.

As to the question if Mays has topped out, who knows? It's a crazy hobby and when he does pass away, there will probably be a little spike.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:25 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
If the back is clean, a 4 should be reasonable based on the front scan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Yes, assuming no hidden flaws, this would be a lock as a 4 with both PSA and SGC. No chance at a 5. Probably gets a 4 at SGC 99 times out of 100, and a 4 at PSA 85 times out of 100, and a 3 the other 15 times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If the back is nice, my guess would be 3.5 to 4. Nice looking card.

As to the question if Mays has topped out, who knows? It's a crazy hobby and when he does pass away, there will probably be a little spike.
Thanks guys.
The back is clean, or as nice as the front too.
I did notice a small mark in the lower left outside the word **"lifetime" but I have noticed this same mark on some others as well so it is not a pen mark but rather a factory mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willie Mays 52 Topps #261 back $.jpg (86.9 KB, 220 views)
Old 04-29-2023, 06:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Best

Dad

Ever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
This is what it’s all about. Incredible!
Quote:
Great story, Greg!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Amazing you still have it! It's beautiful and so is the story. Thanks for sharing.
Great Dad indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Your dad is one hell of a good guy.

This statement below made me realize how young you are though and I now am having an existential 'old man' moment, lol
If you want to feel really old, I'm the same age as PSA.

And here's my favorite Willie, for sentimental reasons. I'd probably pick his 53 Topps for pure aesthetic value, but I'm biased to paintings. I doubt low grade 60's Mays' cards will achieve much value, but who cares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0671.jpg (193.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 04-29-2023, 08:40 PM
pete ullman

I believe there will be a temporary bump as well as lesser known/collected issues grtting more respect Nd a prrmanent price bump…like the howard photos.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:36 PM
Brendan Mullen

My only post war item. Mays gamer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2F956335-24A8-4CEC-9CA0-E19FD8593C3E.jpeg (63.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpeg 28507B22-5AC8-4CDA-B532-BC3ABF9633BA.jpeg (151.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpeg FB02C828-30E5-4565-93F8-5FD72E623B4B.jpeg (147.0 KB, 97 views)