NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 AM

Default Show your Premiums from any and all Sports...

I'll kick it off with this recently acquired 1934 Goudey Premium with original envelope.

1934goudeypremium.jpg1934goudeypremiumVERSO.jpg

1934goudeypremiumENVELOPE.jpg
Old 05-21-2010, 04:19 AM
David McDonald

Goudey Ruth premium
1933-34 Ice Kings Hap Day premium (set of six, got four)

1913 T200 Fatima Premium

(Nothing to scale)
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Adam Hats premiums:

1925 Benny Leonard premium advertising for a film series:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Wow Jimmy and David...

The Goudey All Stars and Ruth pieces are phenomenal... must be two of the best extant (condition-wise). Stunning!

Can someone define what is meant by premiums? After collecting this crap for so long, granted I should know the definition (but I am still fuzzy on it).

I'm not sure how Premiums differ from Advertising Displays, and perhaps the two are synonymous? Perhaps it just means "freebies" that were given away at the time, in exchange for the advertising benefit? I am sure I'll have some things to post, if someone can please just clarify the term...

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question!
Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Can someone define what is meant by premiums? After collecting this crap for so long, granted I should know the definition (but I am still fuzzy on it).

I'm not sure how Premiums differ from Advertising Displays, and perhaps the two are synonymous? Perhaps it just means "freebies" that were given away at the time, in exchange for the advertising benefit? I am sure I'll have some things to post, if someone can please just clarify the term...

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question!
Hardly a dumb question! In non-sports collecting circles, the term "premium" generally applies to mailaway redemption offers. Jimmy's amazing Goudey All-Stars picture, for example, certainly meets that definition. You couldn't buy the item outright; proofs-of-purchase such as wrappers, boxtops, inner seals, etc. (and sometimes a nominal amount) were sent away and you'd get your premium back by mail. The Dizzy Dean Winners Club, Lou Gehrig's Huskies Club and Knothole Gang, and the Babe Ruth Champions all operated in this format, as did most of the children's radio programs and breakfast cereal companies. I think we collectors prize the mailing envelopes almost as much as the items inside...and a few of us seek the boxtops too!

Sometimes, retailers redeemed secondary premiums directly; for example, a premium might be given for a number of proofs of prior purchase (Dixie lid premiums come to mind). However, items distributed on the spot with the purchase of a product would more accurately be described as "giveaways". Otherwise, every T206 or Post Cereal baseball card would have to be considered a premium.

Many store display advertising signs of the era promoted some type of premium or giveaway offer..."call-to-action" marketing has always been effective! Promotional pieces like the beautiful Adams Hats and Benny Leonard movie herald fall outside my definition of a "premium", but are certainly highly collectible.

In sports cards, the term "premium" is more loosely applied. Baseball Magazine Player Posters were offered as subscription premiums, but were also offered for direct sale. In many cases, we don't yet know exactly how the items were distributed and the word "premium" seems to be a convenient catch-all phrase.

I'd love to hear others weigh in on this, and to see more photos!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post
Hardly a dumb question! In non-sports collecting circles, the term "premium" generally applies to mailaway redemption offers. Jimmy's amazing Goudey All-Stars picture, for example, certainly meets that definition. You couldn't buy the item outright; proofs-of-purchase such as wrappers, boxtops, inner seals, etc. (and sometimes a nominal amount) were sent away and you'd get your premium back by mail. The Dizzy Dean Winners Club, Lou Gehrig's Huskies Club and Knothole Gang, and the Babe Ruth Champions all operated in this format, as did most of the children's radio programs and breakfast cereal companies. I think we collectors prize the mailing envelopes almost as much as the items inside...and a few of us seek the boxtops too!

Sometimes, retailers redeemed secondary premiums directly; for example, a premium might be given for a number of proofs of prior purchase (Dixie lid premiums come to mind). However, items distributed on the spot with the purchase of a product would more accurately be described as "giveaways". Otherwise, every T206 or Post Cereal baseball card would have to be considered a premium.

Many store display advertising signs of the era promoted some type of premium or giveaway offer..."call-to-action" marketing has always been effective! Promotional pieces like the beautiful Adams Hats and Benny Leonard movie herald fall outside my definition of a "premium", but are certainly highly collectible.

In sports cards, the term "premium" is more loosely applied. Baseball Magazine Player Posters were offered as subscription premiums, but were also offered for direct sale. In many cases, we don't yet know exactly how the items were distributed and the word "premium" seems to be a convenient catch-all phrase.

I'd love to hear others weigh in on this, and to see more photos!
Many thanks to Rick (for his incredibly well thought out reply) and to Jimmy (for his helpful PM). I think I 'm now well-versed on "Premiums" and understand the term pretty well. That said, let's see if these items qualify...

1. Ted Williams Ring
2. Jackie Robinson Bust Bank (original version - not the shiny re-make)
3. Jackie Robinson Bust Cane Topper (not sure if this qualifies, or its origin)
4. Babe Ruth Odds and Ends
5. Eddie Collins T3 (gotta be the earliest premium I have)

If anyone knows the origin of the Jackie Robinson Cane Topper, please post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg premiums 002.jpg (71.5 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Prem 062.jpg (75.3 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg premiums 007.jpg (70.1 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg premiums 008.jpg (77.6 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg premiums 011.jpg (77.8 KB, 327 views)
Old 05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Posting a few more...

1. Nellie Fox Favorite Tobacco Memo Book
2. Front of Rambler Baseball Scorer
3. Reverse of Rambler Scorer (check out those sick ChiSox and Cubs logos)
4. Early Cubs Pennant (not a premium, but the Cubs mascot closely matches the Scorer!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg premiums 016.jpg (72.7 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg premiums 012.jpg (75.6 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg premiums 015.jpg (70.1 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg CUBS004.jpg (55.5 KB, 319 views)
Old 05-21-2010, 05:46 PM

Default This premium was inserted into a package of Wilson Franks.

Extremely Rare 1954 Wilson Franks Book 2 "Batting and Fielding Secrets" by Ted Williams.

1954tedwilliamswilsonfranksbooklet1.jpg1954tedwilliamswilsonfranksbooklet2.jpg
Old 05-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Rick P

Outstanding! Your Ted Williams Ring cost 15 cents and a Nabisco Shredded Wheat boxtop back in the day, by the way. A good ROI in these uncertain times...

Here's the 1935 newspaper ad featuring your Quaker Oats Babe Ruth "Umpire's Watch Fob Score Indicator" (whew)...

And for the King of Companion Items, here's a spread of Babe Ruth premiums.

Last edited by Oldtix; 05-21-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Rick P

Jimmy, I'll see your Williams with my Feller...you're right, these are extremely tough!

Last edited by Oldtix; 05-21-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rick...

Incredible display! How cool that you have the original ad to tie it all together. Just a steller array of Babe Ruth Freebies!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:58 PM

An old-time memorabilia collector once told me the Robinson cane topper came from amusement stands at Coney Island.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:55 PM

Default Wow! Tremendous stuff from Mark (perezfan) & Rick (oldtix)...

Premiums from Goudey in 1934...

1934goudeywrapper.jpggehrigknothole1.jpg

gehrigknothole2.jpggehrigknothole3.jpg
Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Rick P

This Kellogg's Corn Flakes Baseball Game Ring was issued in 1949.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Clint

Blue Ribbon Malt and Dizzy Dean Winners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg br.jpg (15.4 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg br1.jpg (75.8 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg br2.jpg (25.2 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg dizzy.jpg (46.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg Resized-M9U54.jpg (10.4 KB, 232 views)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Default Geez Rick!

Quote:
Here's the 1935 newspaper ad featuring your Quaker Oats Babe Ruth "Umpire's Watch Fob Score Indicator" (whew)...

And for the King of Companion Items, here's a spread of Babe Ruth premiums.

After seeing your Ruth/Quaker Oats display, I felt like Robin Williams in the super market for the first time, from the superb movie "Moscow on the Hudson!"
Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 AM

Default This one is as tough as they get to locate..

Ultra Scarce 1940's M&M's Candy Premium. Joe DiMaggio Ring in stunning NM/MT condition.

joedimaggioRING1.jpg

joedimaggioRING2.jpg

joedimaggioRING3.jpg
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Robinson Cane Topper

I also believe that the Robinson cane topper was a prize from Coney Island. I recently sold the one that I had.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Detroit Tigers Ring

Is this a cereal premiums Detroit Tigers Ring? Thanks! D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detroit Tigers Ring 001.jpg (38.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Detroit Tigers Ring 002.jpg (36.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Detroit Tigers Ring 003.jpg (34.2 KB, 174 views)
Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Broughman View Post
Is this a cereal premiums Detroit Tigers Ring? Thanks! D.
The Overstreet Toy Ring Price Guide (1996) shows your ring and dates it to the 1970s. However, no information about distribution is given. Could have been in gumball machines, point-of-sale store displays, or possibly a mailaway premium.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Rick P

1938 Kellogg's Corn Flakes "PLAY BALL" booklet autographed by LEW FONSECA and the NOTRE DAME football coach ELMER LAYDEN's Bit-O-Honey Safety Club Charter Member Certificate.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:06 AM

Default Lou Gehrig says..."Huskies are rich in food-energy!"

My favorite premiums of all...

huskiescatalog2.jpg

huskiesring2.jpggehrighuskies.jpg

huskiesframedad.jpghuskiesbox1.jpg
Old 05-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Quote:
The Overstreet Toy Ring Price Guide (1996) shows your ring and dates it to the 1970s. However, no information about distribution is given. Could have been in gumball machines, point-of-sale store displays, or possibly a mailaway premium.
Thanks for info Oldtix! D.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM

Default A few more Huskies...

The all-important Huskies mail in catalog and it's original mailing envelope.

gehrighuskiescatalog.jpghuskiesoriginalenvelope.jpg

huskiescatalog4.jpghuskiescatalog5.jpg

and a special thanks goes out to lordstan Mark for pointing me straight to this Gehrig metered envelope...

1937gehrigHuskiesEvelope.jpg
Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Rick P

Default "I love the smell of Huskies in the morning....it smells like....VICTORY"

The cereal companies ran a boatload of non-sports kid's clubs in the 1930s.

Post Huskies didn't last long enough to sponsor anything but Lou Gehrig's HUSKIES CLUB from 1936-37.

Quaker Oats had the BABE RUTH CHAMPIONS from 1934-36 while they also sponsored the JOE E. BROWN BIKE CLUB during the same years. SHIRLEY TEMPLE also appeared on boxes of Quaker Oats in 1935.

Post's Grape-Nuts Flakes had the DIZZY DEAN WINNERS CLUB running from 1935-36 and also sponsored the JOE E. BROWN CLUB in 1936. Brown was as famous for being a baseball fan as for his movie career (he made many baseball-themed movies). More importantly, Post sponsored his popular CBS radio program. In 1936, Grape-Nuts sponsored a radio program called "Hoofbeats" starring famous B-Western film star Buck Jones and the BUCK JONES CLUB was launched. Dizzy Dean Winners were notified by mail that their memberships were transferred to the Buck Jones Club.

General Mills' Wheaties sponsored the JACK ARMSTRONG radio program from 1933-51. Unlike many radio shows, there wasn't a Jack Armstrong club but numerous premiums (many sports-related) were issued and sports stars appeared on the programs by proxy and on box-backs by photo to plug Wheaties. General Mills shipped cases of the cereal to big leaguers and was a major sponsor of the minor leagues.

The cereal company offerings are legion, as they say. Here's the BUCK JONES CLUB flyer...since you could get a baseball, it's fair game to post...

The DIZZY DEAN WINNERS CLUB flyer...

Boxtops were yesterday's gold to a kid...

Old 05-28-2010, 03:50 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jimmy,
You're welcome.
It was like sending it home...just seemed to belong with the rest of your group.
Great stuff everyone.
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Ricks collection of premiums is only surpassed by his knowledge on the subject!

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Oldtix;812961]The cereal companies ran a boatload of non-sports kid's clubs in the 1930s.

Post Huskies didn't last long enough to sponsor anything but Lou Gehrig's HUSKIES CLUB from 1936-37.

Quaker Oats had the BABE RUTH CHAMPIONS from 1934-36 while they also sponsored the JOE E. BROWN BIKE CLUB during the same years. SHIRLEY TEMPLE also appeared on boxes of Quaker Oats in 1935.

Post's Grape-Nuts Flakes had the DIZZY DEAN WINNERS CLUB running from 1935-36 and also sponsored the JOE E. BROWN CLUB in 1936. Brown was as famous for being a baseball fan as for his movie career (he made many baseball-themed movies). More importantly, Post sponsored his popular CBS radio program. In 1936, Grape-Nuts sponsored a radio program called "Hoofbeats" starring famous B-Western film star Buck Jones and the BUCK JONES CLUB was launched. Dizzy Dean Winners were notified by mail that their memberships were transferred to the Buck Jones Club.

General Mills' Wheaties sponsored the JACK ARMSTRONG radio program from 1933-51. Unlike many radio shows, there wasn't a Jack Armstrong club but numerous premiums (many sports-related) were issued and sports stars appeared on the programs by proxy and on box-backs by photo to plug Wheaties. General Mills shipped cases of the cereal to big leaguers and was a major sponsor of the minor leagues.

Boxtops were yesterday's gold to a kid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also wanted to thank Rick once again for the generous deal he did for me regarding the 1937 Huskies Empty Box that completely ties my Huskies Collection together. He is a first rate collector and a Gentleman beyond compare.

huskiesbox3.jpg
Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Rick P

Aw, shucks, Jimmy...
Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM

1922 BABE RUTH Scorer in top-notch condition w/envelope compliments of the "New York American" with the "American Pictorial" newspaper.

003.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg
Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here is a 5-cent token trade stimulator from Jim Jeffries' pool hall in Los Angeles. Tokens like this were used to coax customers to come to the establishment.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

1917 M114., Unable to locate this in either of my older SCDs I have. Measures 7.5 x 14.5". Can someone verify please?

Last edited by Ladder7; 08-02-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: add 1919 M114 Chicago