NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:07 AM

Default Letter to george and other "haters"--ali (cont.)

Thank you to several of you who so eloquently responded to George and a few of the haters regarding Ali. I would like to skip over his boxing feats as well as the issue of refusing to go in the military to kill innocent non-white people and instead ask George and the other "haters" the following....Please take the multiple choice test below, representing a FRACTION of what he accomplished
*** Ali did the following ..which have you done???????????? ( if you did something even close , you can count it!!)

a) Gone to Lebanon in 1985 and secured the release of 4 American hostages
b) Go to Iraq in 1990 and secure release of 15 American hostages
c) Raise over $120 million for Barrow Neurological Inst (Phoenix,Az)
d) Go to NUMEROUS Children's hospitals (too numerous to list)
e) Go to soup kitchens to help!
f) Save a person on a window ledge about to commit suicide
g) Brought 5 TONS of food , clothing and medicne to help Catholic nun's rescue efforts for Liberian refugees
h) Supported Make-A wish foundation, Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation, Special Olympics, Beat Bullying, Buoniconti Fund for Paralysis, UNICEF, and dozens and dozens of others
i) Honored by Amnesty Int'l, UN Messenger of Peace, Presidential Medal of Freedom ( among dozens of others!)
j) After beating Foreman in Zaire, sits on porch stoop with children doing magic tricks for them
k)HAND DELIVERED food and medical supplies to many many countries around the world!
l) spontaneously gets on a bus carrying disabled children in '92 to sign autographs and make them laugh
m) ALL OF THE ABOVE
n) NONE OF THE ABOVE (hint--this is the correct answer for most of us, incl George)

Ali--you were my hero, the greatest of ALL TIME!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Everyone has a right to their opinion. All that this board asks is that you have a name next to it, so thanks Bill Lat.zko for the thought provoking post.

Last edited by Leon; 06-06-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forazzurri2axz View Post
refusing to go in the military to kill innocent non-white people
Just wanted to save that for posterity in case he edits his post and deletes that part.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Dave_Berg

Arguably one of the the most recognized/ known people to ever walk the face of the Earth. My score on the above questionnaire- 0
Old 06-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Great man indeed. Not perfect but none of us are. Did more for other people than 100s of others put together would do in 10 lifetimes.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM

For all the good he did he should have saved some of it for Joe Frazier. Ali was a great fighter and later a humanitarian but I never understood why Joe Frazier wasn't the beneficiary of any of it.

Last edited by packs; 06-06-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 AM

Default to cliff bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Just wanted to save that for posterity in case he edits his post and deletes that part.
not editing my post, wouldn't delete that for a second, ESPECIALLY after the bravest most principled man on earth (and my hero) just died. You must be jokin'!
The only way I'll edit my post is to add to the list many more things that Ali did for humanity that you couldn't come close to in 5 lifetimes!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:02 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
not editing my post, wouldn't delete that for a second, ESPECIALLY after the bravest most principled man on earth (and my hero) just died. You must be jokin'!
The only way I'll edit my post is to add to the list many more things that Ali did for humanity that you couldn't come close to in 5 lifetimes!
He did treat Joe Frazier like shit for no reason other than to hype a fight, subjecting Frazier's family and children to death threats. Never did apologize to Frazier in person either. I always thought, personally, that this meant that deep down he may have actually believed the awful things that he said.

I am an Ali fan, so no disrespect meant. But the way that he treated Frazier has always given me some pause about Ali the person.

Tom C
Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 PM

Default to cliff bowman (from bill latzko)

"Just wanted to save that for posterity in case he edits his post and deletes that part."

I wouldn't edit anything I said except to add lots of things Ali did in one lifetime that you couldn't do in 5! I'll repeat it.." killing of innocent non-white people" .At a moment like this, when Ali's courage is talked about by most of the media, I would be unable to live with myself if I backed down from something I believe in and said!

oops I thought my initial comment didn't post so I sorta repeated it again...sorry (for the repetition, not the comment!)

Last edited by forazzurri2axz; 06-06-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Ali apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
He did treat Joe Frazier like shit for no reason other than to hype a fight, subjecting Frazier's family and children to death threats. Never did apologize to Frazier in person either. I always thought, personally, that this meant that deep down he may have actually believed the awful things that he said.

I am an Ali fan, so no disrespect meant. But the way that he treated Frazier has always given me some pause about Ali the person.

Tom C
Hi Tom--here's when they made up and ali apologized...........
The wound to Frazier's psyche was deep. In the ensuing years, as Parkinson's syndrome limited Ali's speech and mobility, he has evolved into an almost saintly, ethereal force, the controversies of his past forgotten as his fame expanded and he raised millions of dollars for charity. But Frazier has searched for wider renown and struggled to shed his bitterness.

Last week on the anniversary of his victory over Ali at Madison Square Garden, Frazier said, "Hey, man, just come on and give me a hug and let's get on with our lives."

During an interview in a Midtown Manhattan hotel suite Wednesday, Ali said, "In a way, Joe's right. I said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn't have said. Called him names I shouldn't have called him. I apologize for that. I'm sorry. It was all meant to promote the fight.

"I like Joe Frazier," Ali said. "Me and him was a good show. It was a good traveling show."

Frazier embraced the apology.

"I accept that," he said in a telephone interview from Wildwood, N.J. "I'll accept it, shake his hand and hug him when I see him. We're grown guys. Why we been biting off bullets? We have to embrace each other. It's time to talk and get together. Life's too short."
Old 06-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Tom C
My take, and this does not at all justify it because it was ugly, was that it was psychological warfare and nothing more. Just Ali trying to get into his opponent's head with whatever would mess with his head the most. I don't think he meant it. He did apologize to Joe's son Marvis I have read, just couldn't bring himself to do it face to face with Joe.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-06-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Hi Tom--here's when they made up and ali apologized...........
The wound to Frazier's psyche was deep. In the ensuing years, as Parkinson's syndrome limited Ali's speech and mobility, he has evolved into an almost saintly, ethereal force, the controversies of his past forgotten as his fame expanded and he raised millions of dollars for charity. But Frazier has searched for wider renown and struggled to shed his bitterness.

Last week on the anniversary of his victory over Ali at Madison Square Garden, Frazier said, "Hey, man, just come on and give me a hug and let's get on with our lives."

During an interview in a Midtown Manhattan hotel suite Wednesday, Ali said, "In a way, Joe's right. I said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn't have said. Called him names I shouldn't have called him. I apologize for that. I'm sorry. It was all meant to promote the fight.

"I like Joe Frazier," Ali said. "Me and him was a good show. It was a good traveling show."

Frazier embraced the apology.

"I accept that," he said in a telephone interview from Wildwood, N.J. "I'll accept it, shake his hand and hug him when I see him. We're grown guys. Why we been biting off bullets? We have to embrace each other. It's time to talk and get together. Life's too short."
Frazier said after all of this that Ali only apologized through a reporter and not to him personally.

Tom C
Old 06-06-2016, 12:27 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
My take, and this does not at all justify it because it was ugly, was that it was psychological warfare and nothing more. Just Ali trying to get into his opponent's head with whatever would mess with his head the most. I don't think he meant it. He did apologize to Joe's son Marvis I have read, just couldn't bring himself to do it face to face with Joe.
He verbally assaulted the man to the point where his family received death threats FOR NO GOOD REASON AT ALL other than to promote a fight and make money. He alienated Frazier from an entire segment of the population. In doing so he denied Frazier the opportunity to be loved by those that he most wanted to be loved by. And after all of this he still never apologized to his face.

I think the world of Ali, but this part of his life I simply cannot get past.

Tom C
Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 PM

Default good point

Quote:
He verbally assaulted the man to the point where his family received death threats FOR NO GOOD REASON AT ALL other than to promote a fight and make money. He alienated Frazier from an entire segment of the population. In doing so he denied Frazier the opportunity to be loved by those that he most wanted to be loved by. And after all of this he still never apologized to his face.

I think the world of Ali, but this part of his life I simply cannot get past.

Tom C
good point, 'nuff said!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Ali

Lets continue this on Net54 Boxing site
Old 06-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Mark Medlin

Aren't we glad we aren't all conscientious objectors? If we were, what language would we speak? Would we have organized sports? Would we have this forum? Would the Internet exist?

Mark Medlin
Old 06-06-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
Aren't we glad we aren't all conscientious objectors? If we were, what language would we speak? Would we have organized sports? Would we have this forum? Would the Internet exist?

Mark Medlin
My father was morally opposed to the war and didn't want to kill. However, he felt the call to serve his nation. The solution? He became a medic during Vietnam.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I don't think George Forman is going to read this .
Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Mark Medlin
yes we'd have organized sports, and this forum and the Internet. Aren't we lucky that we're not all warmongers
Old 06-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Zach

So if there were white people to kill he would have went into the military?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:37 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
So if there were white people to kill he would have went into the military?
Only if they weren't "innocent".
Old 06-06-2016, 02:54 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
yes we'd have organized sports, and this forum and the Internet. Aren't we lucky that we're not all warmongers
Too many debates inside those sentiments to even begin.

Mark Medlin
Old 06-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:

Mark Medlin
I was admittedly pretty young when the Vietnam War was going on, but I don't remember there ever being a threat of the US being invaded from the North Vietnamese. Or the North Koreans during the Korean War for that matter. It was of some concern during WWII, but that's the only war I can think of since the War of 1812 where being invaded by a foreign nation was an issue. Historically, we have generally gone to war to protect other interests, most often economic ones.

Oh, just in case you forgot, we lost the Vietnam War. We pulled out and left South Vietnam to a fate we either could not or chose not to prevent. My step dad was an Air Force officer who spent several years over there in the early days of our involvement. To this day, he still doesn't understand what we were doing because he damn sure doesn't think we were trying very hard to win the war. But even though we lost, we still speak American English, play organized sports, have access to the internet, and even have the ability to post dumbass remarks on this forum from time to time.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:07 PM

Oh wait I see what you're saying now. Never mind my original comment. I will just add the Mexican - American War and the Philippine - American War as wars that threatened US land interests directly.

Last edited by packs; 06-06-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Mark Medlin

I wonder how 1,000,000 conscientious objectors would have fared against a blitzkrieg? How about against the Russian army? Surely that would have stopped Tojo. Let's go back a little farther. Maybe the conscientious objectors could have slayed Gengis Khan.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I was admittedly pretty young when the Vietnam War was going on, but I don't remember there ever being a threat of the US being invaded from the North Vietnamese. Or the North Koreans during the Korean War for that matter. It was of some concern during WWII, but that's the only war I can think of since the War of 1812 where being invaded by a foreign nation was an issue. Historically, we have generally gone to war to protect other interests, most often economic ones.

Oh, just in case you forgot, we lost the Vietnam War. We pulled out and left South Vietnam to a fate we either could not or chose not to prevent. My step dad was an Air Force officer who spent several years over there in the early days of our involvement. To this day, he still doesn't understand what we were doing because he damn sure doesn't think we were trying very hard to win the war. But even though we lost, we still speak American English, play organized sports, have access to the internet, and even have the ability to post dumbass remarks on this forum from time to time.
Communism.

Some people thought that preventing communism was worth dying for, others didn't.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
I wonder how 1,000,000 conscientious objectors would have fared against a blitzkrieg? How about against the Russian army? Surely that would have stopped Tojo. Let's go back a little farther. Maybe the conscientious objectors could have slayed Gengis Khan.
I think if every human in world history opted to be a conscientious objector, there would have been no need for soldiers to prevent such atrocities and conflict.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM

I respect everyone's right to fight or not fight, but I didn't see a lot of power behind Ali's decision. He was never in any type of danger, even if he did go fight. He was a celebrity. Do you think anyone ever took a shot at Elvis? It was more of a statement against the institutional racism of the time. That's why he used the moment to invoke how white people addressed him and how no Vietcong had ever said that to him. That's the power in the statement. Focusing on his refusal to fight I think misses the point of the moment.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I think if every human in world history opted to be a conscientious objector, there would have been no need for soldiers to prevent such atrocities and conflict.
I agree with that. And if nobody cheated on their taxes our rates would be lower. And if everyone paid for their medical care, those costs would be less. And if we all were nice to each other we wouldn't need alarm companies, guard dogs, electric fences, nuclear arms, policemen, armies etc...

Mankind has proven time and again that many people and groups are ONLY stopped by force.

Shangrila does not exist on earth. Unfortunate.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Mark Medlin

I will drop from this good spirited debate now, before it becomes ugly. Interesting views.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with Ali, just with a couple of words that you used. I don't understand why you brought up non white and then doubled down on it. What is your point? The only way that would make sense is if you are insinuating that Ali would have been fine with being stationed in West Germany and would have had no problem with possibly killing an innocent "white". That is absolutely asinine. As for your other point, Dick Cheney has given millions of dollars of his own money to charities, does that make him a good person in your eyes?

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 06-06-2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Missed a few words
Old 06-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Default wow

Quote:
phenomenally spoken, thank you!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
I agree with that. And if nobody cheated on their taxes our rates would be lower. And if everyone paid for their medical care, those costs would be less. And if we all were nice to each other we wouldn't need alarm companies, guard dogs, electric fences, nuclear arms, policemen, armies etc...

Mankind has proven time and again that many people and groups are ONLY stopped by force.

Shangrila does not exist on earth. Unfortunate.
I can agree with all of this, but a straw man argument deserves a straw man response.

Muhammed Ali found no reason to fight for a people who had no love for him, nor did he have a reason to fight against a people who did not wrong him. He felt that the greatest injustice Americans were facing was at home and chose to stay and fight it.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
I can agree with all of this, but a straw man argument deserves a straw man response.

Muhammed Ali found no reason to fight for a people who had no love for him, nor did he have a reason to fight against a people who did not wrong him. He felt that the greatest injustice Americans were facing was at home and chose to stay and fight it.
And that brings me back to my first post. If an army of objectors faced a fierce army that had no objections against killing, who wins the war?
Old 06-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Default gooks in the rice paddies

Quote:
and people like you said they were going to undermine our democratic way of life!! (gooks is what Y"ALL called 'em) Our "way of life " was to kill 2 million of them so they wouldn't paddle over in rowboats and spread their communismn around . HA!!! WW2 is quite different than Nam or Iraq and the conversation regarding THE GREATEST had to do with Nam, not WW2. By the way you spelled G______Khan incorrectly.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
and people like you said they were going to undermine our democratic way of life!! (gooks is what Y"ALL called 'em) Our "way of life " was to kill 2 million of them so they wouldn't paddle over in rowboats and spread their communismn around . HA!!! WW2 is quite different than Nam or Iraq and the conversation regarding THE GREATEST had to do with Nam, not WW2. By the way you spelled G______Khan incorrectly.
Sorry. Genghis. My auto correct dropped the h. Anyway, I never made a comment pro or con regarding Ali, or a specific time period. My comments were merely in regard to his mindset of an objector. I think that is hogwash. My .02. Type till you are blue in the face, but until you can prove how conscientious objectors could have stopped the holocaust or any such atrocious event, you will not change my mind. And it's lucky for you that people with my mind set have kept your life unencumbered by war.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:44 PM

Default Cheney and his charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I have no problem with Ali, just with a couple of words that you used. I don't understand why you brought up non white and then doubled down on it. What is your point? The only that would make sense is that you are insinuating that Ali would have been fine with being stationed in West Germany because he would have been okay with possibly killing an innocent "white". That is absolutely asinine. As for your other point, Dick Cheney has given millions of his money to charities, does that make him a good person in your eyes?
NO In my eyes he is a war criminal and should be executed. (not joking).. IFF he gave to charities, it's with the money he made from Haliburton in Iraq and all the millions he made from the war he helped provoke. Ali not only gave to charities but was willing to give up (and did) EVERYTHING for NOT going to kill people. That's a yuuuuuggee difference.

By the way, name a war or intervention if it makes you feel better since WW2 that we have fought against white people; that's why I made the comment
about killing non-whites.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
And that brings me back to my first post. If an army of objectors faced a fierce army that had no objections against killing, who wins the war?
Well, there would be no war if an entire side conscientiously objects.

Muhammed Ali fought a much more noble war at home than he would have fought overseas. He was already drafted into an army and fighting for the freedom of millions of Americans when Uncle Sam came knocking.

I have no love for draft dodgers, nor do I have anything but the upmost respect for service men and women, but Muhammed Ali was doing a much greater service to mankind staying home.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
NO In my eyes he is a war criminal and should be executed. (not joking).. IFF he gave to charities, it's with the money he made from Haliburton in Iraq and all the millions he made from the war he helped provoke. Ali not only gave to charities but was willing to give up (and did) EVERYTHING for NOT going to kill people. That's a yuuuuuggee difference.

By the way, name a war or intervention if it makes you feel better since WW2 that we have fought against white people; that's why I made the comment
By the way, you misspelled huge.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
Well, there would be no war if an entire side conscientiously objects.

Muhammed Ali fought a much more noble war at home than he would have fought overseas. He was already drafted into an army and fighting for the freedom of millions of Americans when Uncle Sam came knocking.

I have no love for draft dodgers, nor do I have anything but the upmost respect for service men and women, but Muhammed Ali was doing a much greater service to mankind staying home.
I doubt his draft dodging decisions caused any disent. I'm glad you aren't against draft dodgers. But outright support one. You guys have some crazy ideas. But that's what fighting for freedom has provided, your ability to spew them.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Default people like you!!

Quote:
Sorry. Genghis. My auto correct dropped the h. Anyway, I never made a comment pro or con regarding Ali, or a specific time period. My comments were merely in regard to his mindset of an objector. I think that is hogwash. My .02. Type till you are blue in the face, but until you can prove how conscientious objectors could have stopped the holocaust or any such atrocious event, you will not change my mind. And it's lucky for you that people with my mind set have kept your life unencumbered by war.
Your last sentence makes me realize that you are a Ted Nugent Dick Cheney
Richard Nixon right wing fool who just happens to collect baseball cards. People with YOUR mindset encumber our lives with war;

It's lucky for me that people with MY mind set have protested against warmongers like you. Up against the wall, m________.

PEACE OUT
Old 06-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
Your last sentence makes me realize that you are a Ted Nugent Dick Cheney
Richard Nixon right wing fool who just happens to collect baseball cards. People with YOUR mindset encumber our lives with war;

It's lucky for me that people with MY mind set have protested against warmongers like you. Up against the wall, m________.

PEACE OUT
P.S. Ted Nugent rocks in more ways than one. Oh, thanks for calling me a fool. You are a warrior in the Thesarus department.

Last edited by Mdmtx; 06-06-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
I doubt his draft dodging decisions caused any disent. I'm glad you aren't against draft dodgers. But outright support one. You guys have some crazy ideas. But that's what fighting for freedom has provided, your ability to spew them.
I believe America was made a better place because Muhammed Ali chose not to go to Vietnam. If you think this is a "crazy idea" than more power to you, it's a beautiful country.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Chris

Last edited by Bestdj777; 06-06-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Not getting involved....
Old 06-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Oh wait I see what you're saying now. Never mind my original comment. I will just add the Mexican - American War and the Philippine - American War as wars that threatened US land interests directly.
Well, both of those wars are arguable I suppose. In the Mexican-American War, annexing Texas was the straw that broke the camel's back since Mexico still claimed Texas as its national territory. In the end, we conquered Mexico City and gained about 50% of Mexico's land, so I guess who invaded who is debatable. That was another extremely controversial, and to some, extremely unpopular, war.

In the Philippine-American War, we had just, and I mean just, gotten the Philippines from Spain after the Spanish-American War and we fought the same people who had been fighting Spain for Philippine independence the year before. They viewed it as a continuation of the same struggle for independence. We didn't. Again, who was the invader really depends on point of view.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 06-06-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Thank you for making my point. Just because someone does good things for society does not mean they are above criticism, which is what you are trying to convey.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
I would suggest that sometimes it makes sense to try and figure out what you are fighting for before you engage. People understood the reasons for WWII, but even that war had conscientious objectors such as the Amish, Mennonites and at least some Quakers.

With respect to Vietnam, I'm not sure anyone ever did that, other than to make sure that we kept those darn communists, who were already here by the way and therefore subject to our laws AND our constitutional protections (despite Joe McCarthy's efforts to the contrary), out of here. That obviously worked out well.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
I will drop from this good spirited debate now, before it becomes ugly. Interesting views.

Mark- just a reminder of your previous promise.

Seems it's difficult for some of us to live up to their convictions even for the short term.

Try to imagine how difficult it was to face the consequences of your decision - not running over the Canadian border or enrolling at Oxford as actual 'draft dodgers' did.

Imagine instead standing by your decision and seeing the best years of your life being subjected to the kind of criticism that 'folks' like you continue to spew.

I will not promise to 'drop out' of this discussion as I believe in defending true Heroes.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Mark,
You essentially asked...what would happen if a nation of objectors stood up to a nation of war, imperialism, and violence...

The answer is you get India, the largest democratic republic in the world. Gandhi took a revolution of violence in the early part of the 20th century and turned it to a movement of civil disobedience eventually leading to the creation of India and Pakistan. Through strikes, mutinies, sit-ins, walk outs, etc. he created a movement that paralyzed the British.

Also the notion that we do not need objectors is a very limited, and frankly, a very disturbing trend.

The objector acts as a voice of opposition, a voice of conscience. People need to have that voice. It often leads to great outcomes. One of those great outcomes was the great nation you now live in and supposedly support. As someone mentioned above, you can both be an objector to war and still serve. Some of the first objectors were Quakers and Mennonites. They refused to fight in the Revolutionary War even through they were strong supporters of the Revolution itself (on grounds of taxes, freedom of thought and religion, freedom of movement, etc.). What did they do, they supplied the revolutionaries. Often with food, clothing, wagons, tools, etc. With out their help, what might have happened.

The idea of objectors is necessary and often overlooked.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Ali on several occasions at show signings and one notable run in at a hotel here in Los Angeles. I got to sit and speak with him and his daughter and he was personable, funny, and wanted nothing more than to make others around him feel comfortable. As much as he seemed to crave fame at the height of his career, he seemed, at least to me, almost shy about it at times and people came up to us and asked for autographs and photos. I never got his autograph but was much happier to shake his hand. I was younger then and did not appreciate the man and what he came to represent as much as I do now.

I rarely wade into these frays but my hero, Jackie Robinson, respected him and was able to create a friendship with someone who held very different views. In fact, that is one of the things I have come to appreciate about Ali, his ability to engage with any culture, religion, race, etc. in a meaningful and respectful way...I wish we could all aspire and strive for that one character trait...

Joshua
Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
P.S. Ted Nugent rocks in more ways than one. Oh, thanks for calling me a fool. You are a warrior in the Thesarus department.
Ted Nugent is a moron, just my opinion....
Closed Thread