NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-04-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post
.... Seeing all this talent really makes me even question why the T206 Wags is valued so high. This may sound crazy, but I don't think I would want to invest 6 figures in it. What makes it worth so much? There is no rarity. Perhaps minimal scarcity. Only bloated fascination that has amplified over the decades. To be clear I am not a hater (just don't understand is more like it...) and think it's a neat card but so many more HOFer's in the T206 set are more scarce with backs like Lenox, etc. .....
The value of the T206 Wags has very little to do with rarity (population) as it has more to do with scarcity (people wanting one). I venture to guess I have literally hundreds, maybe a thousand, cards more rare than Wags...but none remotely as valuable..

Old 01-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The value of the T206 Wags has very little to do with rarity (population) as it has more to do with scarcity (people wanting one). I venture to guess I have literally hundreds, maybe a thousand, cards more rare than Wags...but none remotely as valuable..

Hey Leon, one major thing that the Wagner has going for it is hobby lore and tradition. And when something gets that ensconced in the hobby psyche, it essentially becomes part of the collecting fabric, which, will essentially allow for monetary growth regardless of its rarity.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Paul S

Leon is absolutely correct. There are tons of cards rarer than the Wagner (including, I would guess, my Plow's Candy below), but few or none that have the Wagner T206 combination of
1) top 10 Hall-of-Famer
2)hugely popular card series (T206)
3)scarcity
4) interesting back story (the whole tobacco thing, whether true or not).
Not to mention famous owners, such as Gretzky.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Leon is absolutely correct. There are tons of cards rarer than the Wagner (including, I would guess, my Plow's Candy below), but few or none that have the Wagner T206 combination of
1) top 10 Hall-of-Famer
3)scarcity

.................................................. ..........................................

Well put.

# 1, 2 & 4 = Desirability. There have been many cards posted in this thread that are WAY scarcer than the T206 Wagner, BUT almost all lack the overall desirability.

Supply/Demand.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-05-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Belltown Vintage

Two sub-lists I would like to see:

1. T206 cards (back variations included, but no scraps) that are more rare than Wagner.

2. HOF cards (fronts only - back variations NOT considered) that are more rare than Wagner.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Matt

It's also worth noting that while many cards are indeed rarer than the Wagner, for many of those cards the rarity is coming from the ad on the back, as opposed to it being a wholly unique front image.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
1) top 10 Hall-of-Famer
3)scarcity

.................................................. ..........................................

Well put.

# 1, 2 & 4 = Desirability. There have been many cards posted in this thread that are WAY scarcer than the T206 Wagner, BUT almost all lack the overall desirability.

Supply/Demand.
We've had this discussion many times.
Rare = total number of a particular card
Scarce = Total number of a card, considering also the demand for that card.

Lots of cards are much more rare than Wagner (especially if you throw in front/back variations). But none are close in terms of scarcity, except perhaps the Baltimore News Ruth.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Sean Costello

But regardless of how we define "rare" this was still a fun thread.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Mike Dugan

I am guessing that the Wagner has the highest percentage of graded specimens in existence. I will also guess that even for the rarer vintage cards out there the graded percentage goes way down.

This is a really off the wall guess but I would say that way fewer than 10 percent of most say T206s are graded. I know of three local collections including mine where no cards are graded. So basing rarity on graded populations is probably not very accurate?

I agree with MVSNYC assessment of the Wagner and its' position in the hobby.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
We've had this discussion many times.
Rare = total number of a particular card
Scarce = Total number of a card, considering also the demand for that card.

Lots of cards are much more rare than Wagner (especially if you throw in front/back variations). But none are close in terms of scarcity, except perhaps the Baltimore News Ruth.
I think we are saying the same thing...I see your point. I used the word "scarcer", but ultimately meant "rarer".

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-05-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Glen R. Turner, Jr.

No 1917-20 Felix Mendelshohn cards posted......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mine 1917-20 Felix Mendelsohn Babe Ruth.jpg (58.1 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg Mine 1917-20 Felix Mendelsohn Ty Cobb.jpg (55.1 KB, 512 views)
Old 01-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Glen R. Turner, Jr.

A scarce set is the 1910 Orange Borders.
I believe mine is the only one in a PSA holder
and there are a few in SGC holders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MINE 1910 W-UNC Orange Border Ty Cobb.jpg (76.9 KB, 508 views)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:00 PM
JeR@Me

[QUOTE=Leon;1362635]The value of the T206 Wags has very little to do with rarity (population) as it has more to do with scarcity (people wanting one). I venture to guess I have literally hundreds, maybe a thousand, cards more rare than Wags...but none remotely as valuable..

LL - I sorta get what you are saying, but why do people want one? When did people start wanting one? Who drove this card to the peak of the hobby and when did it register ? (What year?)

I think Brent nailed it : "... When something gets ensconced in the hobby psyche..."

So when did the Wags take off and become important? 1950's ? Why did that happen?

As far as Top 10 HOFer, T206 set, etc. --- That would easily apply to Cobb. So why not Cobb ? Which Cobb with a T206 back would fit in that 60-80 examples known range?

I believe the Baltimore Ruth will eventually become the Pinnacle card in the hobby. It's sorta already happening the last few sales... It's getting there. Cobb w/ Cobb back is too rare perhaps. I would rather own it over the Wags, but that is just me.

Good discussion, guys - Here's another one that is more rare than T-Wags :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Louisville-Wolf.jpg (75.3 KB, 501 views)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Rob Miller

Default Waddell

Only a couple graded between PSA and SGC

Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Paul S

[QUOTE=DixieBaseball;1362991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As far as Top 10 HOFer, T206 set, etc. --- That would easily apply to Cobb. So why not Cobb ? Which Cobb with a T206 back would fit in that 60-80 examples known range?

I believe the Baltimore Ruth will eventually become the Pinnacle card in the hobby. It's sorta already happening the last few sales... It's getting there. Cobb w/ Cobb back is too rare perhaps. I would rather own it over the Wags, but that is just me.
As someone else pointed out, the rare Cobb T206 cards have to do with a rare back. Whereas the rare Wagner T206 is (I believe) the only T206 with Wagner on the front. So the Wagner is desirable even for folks who are not into rare backs.

That said, I agree that a Cobb w/Cobb back is cooler than the Wagner at this point.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

[QUOTE=pbspelly;1363086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post

As someone else pointed out, the rare Cobb T206 cards have to do with a rare back. Whereas the rare Wagner T206 is (I believe) the only T206 with Wagner on the front. So the Wagner is desirable even for folks who are not into rare backs.

That said, I agree that a Cobb w/Cobb back is cooler than the Wagner at this point.
The Wags and the '52 Mantle transcend the hobby. There are people that own them that don't collect cards. They own them because they are feathers in a cap, status symbols....and damn good investments so far.
Barely any, if any, other baseball cards do that.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Wow, great Ruth and Cobb m101-6's!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:17 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Wow, great Ruth and Cobb m101-6's!
yessir!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:17 AM
JeR@Me

That said, I agree that a Cobb w/Cobb back is cooler than the Wagner at this point.[/QUOTE]

... but the Wagner T206 is not rare at all with sweet cap back and not rare with it's front either... There are about a hundred of them out there... They are simply wanted for their celebrity value. They have been over marketed along with the Mantle to be the "it" cards of our hobby for 50 years. I think that the Wags "was" a good investment, but I don't believe it has much more appreciation ahead over the coming decades. (I could be wrong of course...) I still think the the T-Wags is a nice looking portrait though and a nice collectible.

Agreed with Leon's point on the Wags & Mantle rook... as someone pointed out early... they have been ensconced in the psyche of the public as the "it" cards to own.

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 01-06-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

I'm "IN"...as far as I know, these are the only 2 Greiner's Bread cards on PSA or SGC Pop Report...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928 Greiner's McGraw Front 001.jpg (73.4 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Greiner's McGraw Back 004.jpg (80.2 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Greiner's Speaker Front 003.jpg (75.1 KB, 523 views)
Old 01-06-2015, 06:04 PM

Default Scarce , rare , tough , difficult , infrequent , etc. etc.

.....Type Two Wide Pens , 1936 Goudey Premiums , R-314

....when it takes eight years to find , let alone upgrade , a particular item ... we need our own page of adjectives in here .
Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Dave Johnson

I sold this one with all of my golf cards, but this is the only one graded, and one of the toughest golf cards there is.

1925 Empreza Walter Hagen
Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 PM

My favorite Zeenut:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2z19arbuckle.jpg (32.1 KB, 489 views)
Old 01-07-2015, 04:36 AM
pete ullman

here are some...not hard to find pre ww-I cards "rarer" than wags!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t216millerfr216.jpg (74.2 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg t213:215brynes006.jpg (75.4 KB, 447 views)
Old 01-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
I'm "IN"...as far as I know, these are the only 2 Greiner's Bread cards on PSA or SGC Pop Report...
Old 01-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Hey Leon - Nice Card! I knew there was at least one more out there... We talked about these YEARS AGO - I missed out on a Near Set because the Seller and I couldn't agree on a price as "Greiner's" weren't listed in any of the Price Guides...Tharp's - Yes, Yeungling's - of course, but NOT Greiner's. I've NEVER managed to catch up with that seller and have no idea where the cards ended up. He was an old Coin Dealer. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...I'm sure that we were only "a few dollars" apart but Food Issues weren't appreciated much in the mid-1980s. But Modern Rookie cards - NOW WE'RE TALKIN"!!!!!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
Hey Leon - Nice Card! I knew there was at least one more out there... We talked about these YEARS AGO - I missed out on a Near Set because the Seller and I couldn't agree on a price as "Greiner's" weren't listed in any of the Price Guides...Tharp's - Yes, Yeungling's - of course, but NOT Greiner's. I've NEVER managed to catch up with that seller and have no idea where the cards ended up. He was an old Coin Dealer. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...I'm sure that we were only "a few dollars" apart but Food Issues weren't appreciated much in the mid-1980s. But Modern Rookie cards - NOW WE'RE TALKIN"!!!!!
There is at least one more also. It's another Harris in very poor condition. A good hobby friend has it. Yes, you had shown me those 2 long ago. I know of these 3 and that 1, so 4 total....which is quite scarce. Four is also the number of these I am aware of...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pdunc1936kroger3x.jpg (77.8 KB, 425 views)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:06 PM
JeR@Me

Default Type issues...

As I look through all these cards it occurred to me that almost every pre-war issue has cards that probably are more scarce/rare than the T206 Wagner. Look at all the different types represented in this thread. I don't recall seeing a Fatima, so I will add this card in here (Perhaps I glossed over one in this thread..) as I am quite sure there aren't 75 or more of these floating around...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fatima-Perdue.jpg (77.0 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg Fatima-Perdue-Reverse.jpg (76.5 KB, 406 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Default E106 Wagner

I'm not certain this card is more rare than the T206, but PSA population report shows 14 graded in this pose, while SGC shows 31 total between the "batting" and "throwing" poses...this being the highest graded example of either pose by either company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.0 KB, 339 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:28 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I'm not certain this card is more rare than the T206, but PSA population report shows 14 graded in this pose, while SGC shows 31 total between the "batting" and "throwing" poses...this being the highest graded example of either pose by either company.
I'd surmise most e106's are more rare than t206 honus!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:59 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I'd surmise most e106's are more rare than t206 honus!
Now, if we could only do something about that whole demand thing I'd be in business! I'm hoping as the T206's continue to ascend into the stratosphere this card, and others, might gain traction with us other 99%'ers.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM
pete ullman

Every single one of these Millers is rarer than t206 wagner...1/3 more rare than doyle, nat'l.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg millers.jpg (75.3 KB, 477 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-10-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Sean Costello

Hi Pete. What is the difference between the two American Caramel cards?
Is it just the lack of red color in the background? Or is there something more?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:28 PM

This Wagner is more rare than the t206 Wagner

Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 PM
pete ullman

Sean...yep...Sunset and no sunset variations.

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-11-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:27 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephus View Post
This Wagner is more rare than the t206 Wagner

Rarer than doyle too
Old 02-11-2015, 05:18 PM
rgpete

1913 Blank Bank Pinkerton EX-NM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nap 002.jpg (75.3 KB, 385 views)
Old 02-18-2015, 07:29 PM

Not sure if the Donut Co. Ruth is rarer, but a full panel should be:

donut_co_ft.jpg
Old 06-04-2016, 11:39 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

This thread was referenced in another today, and I figured why not revive it. Especially since I have acquired more to display here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 Victory Tobacco T214 Oldering.jpg (73.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 1915 Victory Tobacco T214 Oldering Back.jpg (75.9 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg AWH Shag.jpg (70.8 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg AWH Shag Back.jpg (77.1 KB, 242 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 06-04-2016, 02:07 PM

every card I own is more rare than a t-206 Wagner...
Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Jerry Tate

Default ed

Nice ones Ed.....you beat me on that Oldring.......Jerry
Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
Nice ones Ed.....you beat me on that Oldring.......Jerry
Jerry, I sure wanted at least one of your last five listings, but my last HA winnings kept me out of the running. I look forward to your sales all the time!

Old 06-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Lots of great stuff in this thread!

I like my collection of 112-year-old one-of-ones:

(I actually have two others: Jimmy Burke & Jack Taylor - without scans)

1904 ALLEGHENY ED MURPHY SGC 88.jpg

1904 ALLEGHENY SAM LEEVER SGC 84.jpg

1904 Allegheny Card Co JJ Warner PSA-8.jpg

1904 Alleghent Card Co Joe McGinnty SGC 40.jpg

1904 Allegheny Card Co Christy Mathewson PSA-5.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-04-2016, 11:16 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Real cool, Raymond. Real cool.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Default E106 Wagner

Pretty sure this qualifies. May be close
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E106Wagner.jpg (73.6 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 06-05-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Very impressive, Raymond. You should go for a complete set!

And that's a great looking Wagner there, Dan. I'll take VG 3s like that all day.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:13 PM

a few more

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916zchanceraw.jpg (15.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg n321.jpg (68.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg n321ryan.jpg (27.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg t217burrell.jpg (18.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg t217chadbourne.jpg (19.9 KB, 104 views)