NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

What do you guys think? Rob                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170173297964&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Brad

Looks legit to me!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Steve Murray

Board member buyer. No way shilling going on.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Lee Behrens

If it is schill bidding one of the Net 54 members is not going to be happy. The reserve has not been hit yet so at this point it does not matter. This cards do command a high price.

Lee

Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: J Hull

Well, I'm the seller. It's no shill. I've actually mulled over the idea of blocking this bidder, whose bidding strategy makes me uncomfortable as a seller because it does look weird. And he's bid this way on several of my items.

Not sure I should even respond here since it's still an active listing, but the point I do want to stress is I have no connection to the bidder in question.

Jamie

Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

You know Richard W. is an upright guy. Don't really understand your concern.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: MVSNYC

i just want to thank you for bringing this auction to my attention...i hadn't seen it.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: fkw

Shill, I dont know, but IMO overbidding yes.

These cards are not that rare, Ive owned about 10 over the years (3 Speakers)

If you look closely at the Niles you can see the "BOSTON" just like this Speaker.

None of these missing color variations should be cataloged or noted on the flips IMO. If you did that you would have to add hundreds of these to the catalogs and pop reports.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: J Hull

Hi Steve.
I have no reason to suspect he's not an upstanding and great guy. Or that anyone who bids on anything I'm selling isn't. But that style of bidding raises questions. Enough anyway that a thread turns up here about it.

Jamie

Old 12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: MVSNYC

i personally wouldn't say "they're not that rare"...they don't pop up that often, and when they do, there is usually good demand for them, and a significant premium.

as far as that bidding style, i sometimes place several consecutive bids (3 or 4 times, not 17, however), i think it shows strength and i also often decide to up my bids as the auction progresses based on many factors...i don't choose to use a snipe service, but i'll agree that this bidders method is a bit much...

Old 12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

I just looked at the bidding history. Maybe I should have before I commented. While I think Richard is a good guy that bidding pattern is bizarre.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Richard

Steve - I am not sure if the "Richard W" that you are referring to is me, but I am not bidding on this card.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

I should have just stayed in bed this morning. My brain is all out of whack. I am always confusing Richard W. with Dan M. and think now that is he who is bidding. With that said I suspect that Dan will likewise chime in that it isn't him.

Notwithstanding my confusion the bidding pattern looks more logical now that I know who actually is bidding.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Matt

Is it possible the bidder doesn't understand exactly how proxy bidding on a reserve auction works and is trying to find out the exact reserve amount?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

That could be. Rob

Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Red

"None of these missing color variations should be cataloged or noted on the flips IMO. If you did that you would have to add hundreds of these to the catalogs and pop reports."

Missing colors may occur from time to time on other cards but it's odd that there's such a heavy concentration of red missing on the Boston players. If T206 cards were printed on sheets by team then maybe a few sheets of Boston players made it through with no red ink. If teams were mixed then there should be players from other teams popping up with no red ink with the same frequency as Boston players. Based on a strip and a few miscuts I don't think they were printed by team. That makes the no red inks harder to explain and more collectible than just random odd colors missing here or there.

I'm surprised SGC would not identify the card on the label because it's not already listed in the guide. I thought SCD added them as they are discovered. A few uncataloged Boston no red cards have been posted on here before. SGC is certainly capable of authenticating this as a discovery example and notifying the guides of its existence. The Sweeney is expensive because it was known about for a longer time and listed a while ago. The newer additions to SCD all went in at much lower prices when they're probably equally as difficult as Sweeney.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Brad Green

While the bidder that you guys are talking about shows up as r***7, this is not Dan M. as this particular r***7 has only 82 feedbacks on eBay. I'm sure that Dan M. has a ton more than that...

Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default Shilling?

Posted By: Joe D.

nevermind