NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2010, 09:37 AM
R@y H0lmes

Default Fatal Flaw - What's the one thing that will keep you from buying a card?

First off, maybe an intro is in order. My name is Ray...I was on the old board for a number of years, mostly as a lurker and b/s/t trawler, which will probably be the larger part of my role here on the new board as well...but anyway, after some time away, I'm back actively collecting.

As I've looked around for my first new pickups in a couple of years, I'm having the conscious realization that there is one thing that will almost always keep me from buying a card: I don't like the player name to be missing or cut off in any way, not even a little bit, whether it be by chipping or off-centering (top to bottom). I am an unabashed low grade guy...I actually prefer the aesthetics of your average poor/fair card...but as I said to someone recently, I've got to see the name. The face can be creased (not ideal, but I'll take it if the price is right), corners can be missing, hole punches, whatever. But I have to be able to clearly read the name.

So, what is it for you? What's the fatal flaw? An aspect of condition? Unable to grade? Price (I guess this really counts for all of us to some degree, and is hugely dependent on the rarity of the card)? Or maybe you just don't like the seller? I realize more often than not you buy cards based on a weighted mix of factors...but anyone else have that one thing that holds you back every time?

Last edited by rholmes; 05-28-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Welcome back Ray. To me it is aesthetics. If a card is a tough one to find but is a nice looking card, even with a slight trim on a border, it doesn't bother me. I draw the line at punch holes, writing on the front, pieces missing and non eye appeal cards, though, even if they have a numerical grade.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Matt Goebel

Default Image

The fatal flaw to me is poor registration or anything else that obscures the image. I love a nice clean well-focused image and can overlook flaws in the periphery or on the back.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Jason

Default yes, it's aesthetics...

you make a good point about cut-off names, and it's one that may cause me to reconsider as the truly one fatal flaw...but up until you mentioned it on this post, it was registration.

I cannot stand to look at a card that has terrible registration. I simply can't look at it. and then, for me, what's the point?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I try to avoid miscut cards whenever possible. Somewhat OC is fine, but if it's OC where there is practically no border, I usually avoid. I also try to avoid altered or trimmed cards whenever possible. If the card is Authentic b/c of poor condition, however, I'm still willing to consider it especially if it's a very expensive card to get in numerical grade.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Rob Miller

Unless the card is super rare, paper loss on the front middle of the card will prevent me from buying it.

Last edited by Robextend; 05-28-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 AM
R@y H0lmes

Default Jason

And now that you mention it, poor registration is probably a close second for me. Although there is something interesting about a card whose registration is so off it makes you feel slightly seasick .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
you make a good point about cut-off names, and it's one that may cause me to reconsider as the truly one fatal flaw...but up until you mentioned it on this post, it was registration.

I cannot stand to look at a card that has terrible registration. I simply can't look at it. and then, for me, what's the point?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Matt Wieder

Any issue that causes the face of the player to be obscured.

Last edited by Matt; 05-28-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Easily, the one thing that prevents me from buying most cards is $$$$.

I stay away from altered cards. They can look just fine, but they feel like they have bad mojo to me (thats just me and Id never question anyone elses decision). Outside of that, a card where complete sections are missing hold no interest to me.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmarcelle View Post
The fatal flaw to me is poor registration or anything else that obscures the image. I love a nice clean well-focused image and can overlook flaws in the periphery or on the back.
I agree with this, and the grading companies don't even take focus/registration into consideration.

Besides poor focus, anything with a crease rules the card out for me. I can deal with corner rounding, but just knowing that card was once bent to the point of creasing drives me nuts!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 AM

The trimming issue can be a touchy one. I have seen cards which appear trimmed in PSA and SGC holders with numerical grades and likewise cards which I believe are "short" because of factory cuts in "authentic" holders, deemed as trimmed. I honestly believe that if you have a problem with altered cards (trimming), and some do, that you shouldn't take the word of the grading companies as gospel on this issue but examine the card and buy the card based on your own feelings and observation. That said, there are also cards which are trimmed but which are so aesthetically nice that they are, to me, desirable, especially hard to find and scarce cards. I am in the minority that feels that in the future these "AUTH" cards will be worth more than the SGCs 10 and PSA 1s. It may be apples and oranges but look at the prices of restored vintage comic books and see the prices they are bringing.
Just my 2 cents.
tbob
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I agree with this, and the grading companies don't even take focus/registration into consideration.

Besides poor focus, anything with a crease rules the card out for me. I can deal with corner rounding, but just knowing that card was once bent to the point of creasing drives me nuts!
I agree 100%. Out of focus is bad but creases make me crazy!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
The trimming issue can be a touchy one. I have seen cards which appear trimmed in PSA and SGC holders with numerical grades and likewise cards which I believe are "short" because of factory cuts in "authentic" holders, deemed as trimmed. I honestly believe that if you have a problem with altered cards (trimming), and some do, that you shouldn't take the word of the grading companies as gospel on this issue but examine the card and buy the card based on your own feelings and observation. That said, there are also cards which are trimmed but which are so aesthetically nice that they are, to me, desirable, especially hard to find and scarce cards. I am in the minority that feels that in the future these "AUTH" cards will be worth more than the SGCs 10 and PSA 1s. It may be apples and oranges but look at the prices of restored vintage comic books and see the prices they are bringing.
Just my 2 cents.
tbob
Agree 100%. Well said.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Default Headless Cy causes sighs

I am with Matt on the facial flaws. I am a low grade collector, and accept just about everything, but definitely like to see the player's face unobscured (I guess I am a face man). A specific card that comes to mind (and I have seen it make the Ebay/net54 circuit for years) that I would love to own, except for the fact that the paper damage on front just happens to make the player headless, is a D304 Cy Young encapsulated by one of the major grading companies. Man, I would be reluctant to spend more than $20.00 on the thing, and even if I were to end up with it, his noggin-less body would always get me upset.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-28-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:59 AM
R@y H0lmes

A perfect illustration to my funky-name aversion is this e98 Matty I was recently able to Best Offer down enough on ebay to my liking. It fits pretty well with the overall condition aesthetics of my collection. It's slabbed PSA AUT...has the tape and seems to be a bit short on top (whatever happened there happened a long time ago), but the front and back actually look pretty nice and I'm thrilled to have it. In my mind this is the greatest pre-war card ever issued and I couldn't afford it any other way. BUT, if the name was chipped at all or obscured in some other manner I would have hemmed and hawed and probably not bought it.

Brian - a good tangent to this thread would be cards that you can't stand to look at, now that you have them in your collection...
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Jim D

my fatal flaw is an empty wallet.....

card wise, it would be eye appeal... i cant pay for something ugly!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Al

Holes. Can't stand holes.

I've got cards with writing, tears, creases, bad registration, tape, alterations, wrinkles, poor centering, schmutz on the front, schmutz on the back, scrapbook paper stuck to the back, even a burn mark.

But the only card I have with a hole in it is a 19th Century card of a HOFer thats pretty scarce, and has a tiny pinhole that's tough to see, even close up - and just the same, the hole makes me crazy.

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 05-28-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: tape.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:19 AM

In order...

1. Intentional tampering - I'd rather have something that was rolled up into a ball and run through the washer than a card trimmed intentionally to deceive.

2. Writing - Don't know why, I just can't stand the thought of someone writing on a card. Pen or pencil, doesn't matter, just don't like it.

3. Anything that obsures/removes writing or the player - Whether it's paper loss or a miscut, if it messes with the name or player on the front or any important writing on the back, I can't have it.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Anything that makes the image on the front unpleasant to look at. Creases are ok if they are not deep and through the head. Writing on the front is often unpleasant.

I'll buy a trimmed card if it is one on my very short list of cards that are not commonly available but I need; otherwise I will not.

For some reason, I typically just don't have a big issue with miscut cards.

Last edited by celoknob; 05-28-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Rhett Yeakley

For whatever reason I HATE CLIPPED CORNERS! I don't know if I was born w/an aversion to octagon's or something but I hate i when cards have had their corners clipped...this isn't a major problem for most sets but as a Zeenut collector you find them trimmed like that all the time, apparently octagons were popular in Northern California during 1911-38. Many Zeenut guys don't seem to have a problem w/ it but I basically would rather not own the card then own it w/ an octagonal shape... I never realized I was neurotic until right now!

2nd tier pet-peave is the face mutilation. I hate it when there are major creases through the guys face (obviously any damage to the face itself is a deal-killer, with obvious rarity considerations as I'd still like to own the 1911 Zeenut of Bohen even if someone damaged him)

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM
David McDonald

Any number of the reasons cited by others in this thread (creased face, poor registration etc) put me off but the number one deal killer for me is bad centering. I'm an OCD kind of guy and an off-centered card absolutely bugs me. If it were still the 1930s and we weren't so caught up in all the murder stories and rhetoric of today's hobby I'd have been the guy trimming his cards just to make 'em look pretty.

Hey, Rhett: This one's for you. A genuine archaeological artifact of ancient California. I am embarrassed to admit that I paid SGC six bucks to slab this sorry mother. At least it is decently centered.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Rhett Yeakley

David, I'm not buying it! No way you can be OCD and also have that Prough card in your collection! That card is beautifully hideous!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM
R@y H0lmes

I haven't put a lot of thought into it, maybe once or twice on seeing a clipped corner octagonal card...but does anyone have a rational explanation as to why anyone would have done that? I just don't get it. Seems very anti-scrapbook, or something. Like, ain't no one gonna put THIS card in a scrapbook (takes scissors to corners)...

Although I did just have the thought that maybe it's the opposite. Were these cards clipped out of scrapbooks? I guess that would make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
For whatever reason I HATE CLIPPED CORNERS! I don't know if I was born w/an aversion to octagon's or something but I hate i when cards have had their corners clipped...this isn't a major problem for most sets but as a Zeenut collector you find them trimmed like that all the time, apparently octagons were popular in Northern California during 1911-38. Many Zeenut guys don't seem to have a problem w/ it but I basically would rather not own the card then own it w/ an octagonal shape... I never realized I was neurotic until right now!

-Rhett
Old 05-28-2010, 01:02 PM
David McDonald

Ray: Folklore has it that kids would trim corners to make them more aerodynamic for tossing and flipping games. Seems to have been done to Zeenuts more than any other issue for some reason. I just love the fact that some ancient youngster slowly beat this card to hell ninety years ago; that trumps all its flaws. Had it have been however, say, a '22 Zeenut Thorpe I might not be so generous in my affections.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 PM
R@y H0lmes

Thanks, David. I actually like the idea of cutting for aerodynamics, but I'm sure glad the practice wasn't more widespread. Imagine all of us having to pay out big dollar premiums for cards just because they have any corners at all.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM

A bad seller.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:27 PM

I don't know any longer. Blemishes or missing paper on the front of the card used to rule them out for me, but I just broke my own rule this week with a card that I thought I may never have another chance to get.
jimB
Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm not sure there's any one thing that would be a deal breaker for me.

I have backed way off on poor condition commons of some sets now that I can afford VG or sometimes better. But if the price was right I'd still buy them.

Certain types of sellers are a put off too. Given a choice I'll spend my money with someone I like or respect. But I have and will sometimes buy from sellers I don't like. There were a few flea market guys like that, obnoxious and clueless. But sometimes they underpriced things far enough to be worth dealing with them.

Like the guy that argued up and down that I didn't want the shopping bag full of early 70's football and hockey when I asked the price. he absolutely insisted that I should want some rookie card. I think it was Gooden. Eventually he gave in and said the whole bagful was $2. Nice stuff and a few nearly complete sets.

My stock answer to offers of stuff I didn't want was "I think I have that". One guy came to believe that I was a bigtime collector/dealer. When I mentioned I might setup to sell a few things I didn't want he began offring me boxes of new stuff to stay away. ---Yeah, it was probably "wrong" but I took the freebies when he offered. made up for it by sellling a little kid as many commons as he could grab in both hands for 5 cents when I eventually did setup.

Steve B
Old 05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

For me, it's any of the following:

1. Poor registration
2. Diamond cut
3. Off-centered more than 60-40
4. Crease through the player's face
5. Writing/marks on the card's obverse

Steve
Old 05-28-2010, 05:36 PM

I'm more tolerant when it comes to pre war cards as to my criteria for rejection...when I was filling pieces on my 1970-1979 Topps set... I just hated Diamond cuts...

For pre war stuff:
Huge chunk missing from the card
Excessive writing or erasure mark on the front of the card

Ricky Y
Old 05-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Bruce C.

For me it's missing pieces...or paper loss on the front. I love picking up trimmed cards that other wise look really nice.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Bob Pomilla

Paper loss or other damage, on the face.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Bill Cauley

I tend to keep my mind open with the type of card that it is but the two things that always hold me back are:

1) An actual piece of the card is missing. (i.e. torn/ripped off)
2) Centering. I am flexible to an extent depending on the card but that's probably my biggest pet peeve of all.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Tony N.

Default My pet peeves

I will not buy a card that has:

1. Poor centering

2. Paper loss on the front

3. Parts of the card missing
Old 05-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Michael S

1. Centering on post war needs to be 60/40 or better, more lenient on pre war especially rarity.

2. Anything that obstructs clarity on the face on the image is a real downer.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
If it were still the 1930s and we weren't so caught up in all the murder stories and rhetoric of today's hobby I'd have been the guy trimming his cards just to make 'em look pretty.
That made me laugh. Good thing I wasn't drinking milk when I was reading it.

Doug
Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Holes. Can't stand holes.

I've got cards with writing, tears, creases, bad registration, tape, alterations, wrinkles, poor centering, schmutz on the front, schmutz on the back, scrapbook paper stuck to the back, even a burn mark.

But the only card I have with a hole in it is a 19th Century card of a HOFer thats pretty scarce, and has a tiny pinhole that's tough to see, even close up - and just the same, the hole makes me crazy.

-Al
Wow - my brother from another mother!!!

The one thing I can't stand is a hole...not to be confused with an a-hole, which sometimes makes for a nice card:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frank Chance (SGC 50).jpg (78.5 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Clayton

David- I like the way SGC put "without coupon" on that

I do not like:

1) trimmed/altered

2)paper loss (I can handle a little speck, but not much more)

3)writing on front or back

4)heavy creases (a light wrinkle is sometimes ok, if the card otherwise is a beauty)

I collect in the V/G to V/G-E/X range, so I can handle a little O/C or rounded corners.

My wallet sometimes wishes I didn't mind 1 through 4,,,my collection would be so much bigger

Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 05-28-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Anybody who has seen some of the stuff in my collection knows I have few things that actually prevent me from adding a card that most of you guys wouldn't even bother with. I have a blog that shows some of the "beauties," as does an article in the last issue of "Collector" magazine.

However, a seller who shows himself as resembling the northern end of a southbound horse will make me walk to the next table...every single time.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 PM
R@y H0lmes

This whole bad seller thing is no joke, which is why I put it as an option in my original post. Not naming names, but there was a guy on the old board, a seller primarily, who just rubbed me the wrong way with every move he made. But then he'd put up something pretty good once in a while, sometimes something I really wanted or needed, and I'd have to just grit my teeth and slide on by. I couldn't bring myself to deal with him. My loss probably, in the end...but it really is so much better/cooler/more fun to buy from folks you like. Comes down to what you want your hobby to be about, I guess.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStufflestreet View Post
However, a seller who shows himself as resembling the northern end of a southbound horse will make me walk to the next table...every single time.
Hilarious! Never quite heard it put that way but there are a few of those around.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 PM
M@rk Lu7z

I don't like holes in baseball cards.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Brian Horne

another vote against pieces will paper loss/creases across the face of the player.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Barry Arnold

Default flaw

with my ole friend, Al C, i greatly dislike the pinholes.

best,
barry
Old 05-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Ron Rice

Default Fatal flaw

Besides front paper loss, writing on front, or a sizable hole:

I hate looking at a card in a slab that is ridiculously overgraded. I always let someone else buy that card.

Ron R
Old 05-29-2010, 03:31 PM

I can't stand pin/punch holes. My eyes are always directed right to them which is a total distraction.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM

I can tolerate nearly any defect depending upon a cards rarity, but hate writing as words on a card. I'm okay with drawing like adding a moustache or cigarette, but if it's a name or an autograph I'm out alltogether very quickly. I have no explanation for as to why I feel this way.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 AM
martin

Blank back and front
Old 05-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Jim R

my problem is paper loss-I can deal with rounded corners, creases or a punch hole.

Tinker.jpg

Tinkerb.jpg
Old 05-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Jeff

Default Any of these will make me pass

1. Writing on front
2. Damage to player's face/image
3. Bad seller