NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T Postcard Question

Posted By: Paul

I would like to see a catagory for postcards in the B/S/T. I would like to know what other members think of that. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

sounds good to me.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I'd like to see a catagory for beaters only.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think there could get to be too many categories. How about adding the term "postcards" to one of the categories that is already there?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Administrator

I would prefer to have a postcards only catagory. I dont think another catagory would be too many.

Also, why is there a 50-80's catagory when this is a pre WWII board? I know we probably have quite a few collectors here for that, but that's not what this boards about. Replace it with Pre WWII postcards if too many is a concern????

Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

I thought this would get a little more action. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

How many posts have there been on the BST in the last week on the postcards topic?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Changed my vote. I like Zinn's suggestion.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

In the section that includes memorabilia, photos, books, etc. why not just add the word "postcard?" That could work.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

I counted six since the 22nd in the pre WWI catagory. I think we have quite a few postcard collectors here, so we deserve our own catagory. Why do we have a 50 to 80's catagory on a pre WWII board??

Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Peich

I agree--let's have a separate category for postcards. A lot of us on the Vintage54 board collect them, and there has been recent discussion about them. I appreciate Leon's fear of too many categories, but if "postcard" is added to one of the categories, it will have to be added to virtually all of them. If space is an issue, I agree with Paul's remark: If adding a postcard thread would create too many categories, then why do we have a 50s-80s category on a site devoted to pre-WWII collecting? Eliminate that one and we have ample room, IMHO.

Cheers, Mike

Old 10-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

I don't think 6 posts a week warrants it's own forum. I agree with Steve - put add an etc. to the other forum.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Would postcards include exhibits?

Maybe that would make sense.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

i'd agree with barry ... either add the word "postcard" to the memorabilia section, or add "postcard" along with the E,M,W etc items. Postcards seem to show up what, a couple times a week?

Rob

Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Matt I dont think we should use one week as the average. I really have no idea how often we have postcards in the B/S/T, but many of us here collect them. Also, I agree with Jeff that Exhibits could be included.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

We have debated just about every single operational move ever made on this board. I have no issue debating what is best and going with the majority.

There was a lot of support for a Post War side so we made it. There was a lot of support for a memorabilia side...so we made it......When we put up the Post War side we debated how to have a BST for that area....it was decided that if the Post War BST was included in the Post War Baseball thread, then it would be too much to check both sides to see all of the BST's.....I will leave it to the majority.....but I doubt adding yet another category to the BST is the best solution. Maybe taking out the 50's-80's and putting it as a revolving thread in the Post War baseball section, or having it as it's own section, on the Post War side, is best? I am very open but don't like to see things get watered down too much. That is also the reason we haven't insituted a seperate Off Topic section...as I truly believe a little bit of O/T is good for the main board and a lot is bad.......regards

Old 10-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Paul - if you don't want to go by last week's 6 posts as an indicator, then go back the last few weeks. I'm not exactly sure what the threshold should be for creating a separate forum, but 6 posts a week isn't enough.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I like postcards - nevertheless, I dont think that there are enough transactions/listings to warrant their own category. What's the problem with posting in the "(E, D, M, W, etc.)" category. As long as you know where to look for the item you are interested in, that should be sufficient. I suspect, however, that the real problem is that pc listings don't stay "on top" long enough due to having to share a category with other cards. Well, that is a problem all of us face.

Frankly, there are so many more E card listings than Ds, Ms, Ws or PCs, that were we to add another category, the sensible thing would be to create an "E" only category and substitute PC's for Es in the current category.

That said, I think the categories are fine as is and dont need to be changed at all.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I have sold many postcards on the B/S/T boards...when I sold a Hornsby exhibit postcard I put it in the '20s to 40s' section...all others I have sold I put into the ' Memorabilia, Photos, Books' section. All of them have sold without problem.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Make postcards & Exhibits one catagory, & get rid of the 50's to 80 catagory. There should be enough postcards & Exhibits to keep it lively. It would help clean up the others, & maintain the focus on pre WWII.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

nm

Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I've changed my mind. I now agree with Paul.

My PC's http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/Postcards/

Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I have recently found the joy of collecting postcards (can't you just wait to see my latest pickups posted?!), and I wouldn't mind a spot dedicated to PC topics and BST....however, I do wonder whether or not it has enough interest to sustain a separate board and BST...how do we find this out without trying it?
perhaps we could simply have a dedicated thread to PCs? People could add to it whenever needed/relevant?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Like Jeff mentioned earlier. Postcards & Exhibits together would make more sense. There would be plenty action with both combined.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

or third, I guess.

PCs and Exhibits very much seem to be a natural grouping that would make sense...

Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

1) Paul - "I would like to see a catagory for postcards in the B/S/T. I would like to know what other members think of that. Thanks."

2) Paul - "I would prefer to have a postcards only catagory. I dont think another catagory would be too many. Also, why is there a 50-80's catagory when this is a pre WWII board? I know we probably have quite a few collectors here for that, but that's not what this boards about. Replace it with Pre WWII postcards if too many is a concern????"

3) Paul - "I thought this would get a little more action. Just looking for opinions. Thanks."

4) Paul - "I counted six since the 22nd in the pre WWI catagory. I think we have quite a few postcard collectors here, so we deserve our own catagory. Why do we have a 50 to 80's catagory on a pre WWII board??"

5) Paul - "Matt I dont think we should use one week as the average. I really have no idea how often we have postcards in the B/S/T, but many of us here collect them. Also, I agree with Jeff that Exhibits could be included."

6) Paul - "Make postcards & Exhibits one catagory, & get rid of the 50's to 80 catagory. There should be enough postcards & Exhibits to keep it lively. It would help clean up the others, & maintain the focus on pre WWII."

7) Paul - "Like Jeff mentioned earlier. Postcards & Exhibits together would make more sense. There would be plenty action with both combined."

Paul, would you mind clarifying your position; you do or don't want another category?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Leon

We can change the 50's - 80's BST section to Postcards and Exhibits.....but do any of our Post War guys have a major issue with having a BST in their section, as a seperate category, for their cards? For the most part I don't collect Postcards or Exhibits (have only a few) so it makes no difference to me....I just want everyone to be happy...make that "as happy as can be"....There are some on the board that will never be happy no matter what... .....

edited to add that I will base my decision off of what the majority in this thread say....if you don't say anything then don't gripe....also, just because you post 10x doesn't mean your vote counts more than 1x....only mine does

Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

why not elimanate the 3 pre 1920s catagories and make it a pre 1920 cards section and keep the 20's thru 40's and 50s thru 80's sections then add the postcard section and keep the others as is.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

Changing 50's - 80's BST section to Postcards and Exhibits.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator

There are so many posts in the T cards section and the E,D,W etc...that I am very hesitant to change those....This is about taking the 50's to 80's section out and putting in a Postcard and Exhibit section....Honestly, I don't think there are enough pure PC and Exhibit trades and sales to warrant it but if the majority want it then so be it....

Steve M. - Even though you are acting "Dorskin-esk" you/we only get one vote >>>

Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

then i vote keep it as is,put the postcards in the appropriate time frame. keep 50-80's cards as more collect those than postcards

Old 10-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Respectfully, what dont you understand about my position? At first I wanted a postcards only catagory, but when Jeff mentioned that including Exhibits with the postcards would make more sense, I agreed.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

I'd favor an exhibits/postcards section over a 1950s-80s section.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

My vote is to leave the 50's-80's. Add the words "Post cards" to either the "Memorabilia" section or the "Everything Else" section.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

I am listening, obviously. Let me throw a question at you though. Please understand my role while answering this.

If you were me, and just counted 150 posts/threads, in the last 2 months, on the BST pages for 50's-80's....would you be so inclined to nix that area and potentially piss those folks off? Do you think we will get 150 different threads and posts in 2 months with pure PC and Exhibit trades and sales? I am not at all trying to be confrontational I am only looking at this as an operational issue. Also, even though it doesn't matter to me, my 1 vote would be to add the word "Postcards" or "Postcards, Exhibits" to one of the categories already there....but again, I get 1 vote like the rest of us....except maybe the Dorskind group ....

edited spellin'

Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Leon, initially I wanted just to add another catagory, but when you replied "too many", I wondered why we had a 50's to 80 catagory on a pre WWII board. I understand the operational aspects that you encounter, & I also want what's best for our community. As far as being confrontational, I'm the least confrontational person you'll probably ever meet. That stuff doesn't bother me. I just love dead ball era postcards, & so does the other members of the deadballpaul group

edited for spelling

Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I AM right with you my friend. I want this place to be the best it can be without as much drama as possible...that's why I try to please everyone and it never works ......Our Postwar guys have some fun too...and they do need a place to do a BST area.....wherever it ends up at....

Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

I think there are many of us who still occassionally buy or sell cards in the 50s to 80s category. Given the number of listings I cant support getting rid of it. I fail to see the rationale for not simply keeping exhibits in the 20s-30s category and putting postcards with the E's and others. If it aint broke, dont fix it - and until now, Ive never heard any complaints from people selling pcs. In fact, Ive always found that anytime a pc is listed, particularly a popular set like Novelty Cutlery or the Sepias, they tend to fly off the bst.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Postcards? Bah, who needs them! ( )

[not for sale]

Old 10-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

80% of board members I bet own at least one baseball postcard. Give postcards more respect on here. Heck, don't they have postcard shows and forums that only discuss postcards? It would be nice not to lose the postcard collectors here, and not give them a reason to go elsewhere. Postcards/Exhibits are a big enough market in my eyes..

JC

Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

We talk about postcards and exhibits on the principle that they are baseball cards, so what exactly is wrong with the status quo, where they are treated like other issues from the various decades?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

we disrespect postcard collectors because they don't have their own special category in the BST? Do we disrespect collectors of T206s as well since they are lumped with other T cards?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Im tired of being disrespected. I want a discrete caramel section NOW - otherwise Im leaving! I refuse to stay on this board one minute longer while this disrespectful BS continues!

Give me a break Jim.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Peich

Hi All--
I agree that there should be a separate Postcards/Exhibits category for the B/S/T. And, I also hear Leon's point about the healthy number of listings for "50s to 80s" cards. Here's my suggestion:
1. We currently have eight categories on the B/S/T. Let's create a ninth, Postcards and Exhibits, and place it after "20s to 30s" cards, thus moving the other categories down a notch.
2. Some might argue that another category will clutter an already crowded page. However, when I click on the B/S/T home page, I have to scroll down to see the "Everything Else" category. This is caused by the banners at the top of the page pushing down the list of categories that follows. Does anyone else have that problem? There should be room at the bottom of everyone's screen for all nine categories, and it would require minimal scrolling to get to the last two which are memorabilia, and sports not related to baseball.
3. Creating a ninth category will allow for another avenue that many of us desire, and it shouldn't create any real problems with the home page, unless there is a key technical point that Leon needs to share with us.
I hope this suggestion helps resolve the discussion, and creates a new resource for our vintage baseball passions.

Cheers, Mike

Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator

No surprise here. That solution gets my vote.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Yes, lets remove the banners, add postcards, and we can see all nine catagories without scrolling.
Of course there will be a transaction fee on all exhibit/pc exchanges to compensate for the banner loss - but who's counting?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

When I hit the bst page, everything is on one page with no need to scroll. Regardless, can someone please tell me why exhibits cant go in the 1920s category and why pcs cant go in the "e, d, m, etc." category. Again, if someone can tell me why E cards (far more popular than pcs) should be crowded in with all the other miscellaneous type cards and pc's should not, then I will change my mind. Until then, I maintain that there is no need for yet another category on the bst page.