NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Scott Russell

crap, my bad. Apologies!!! though I could've sworn when I wrote my first comment the Title still read "1917 Youth's Companion Babe Ruth Stamp PSA EX-MT 6"
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 10-16-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
crap, my bad. Apologies!!! though I could've sworn when I wrote my first comment the Title still read "1917 Youth's Companion Babe Ruth Stamp PSA EX-MT 6"
You’re not losing it, unless I am too. It didn’t say anything about Rube this morning so they must have gone in and updated it.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Scott Russell

well, still good that they changed it, and glad I'm not nuts!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 10-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Peter Calderon

Default Changes

Quote:

No Scott, you're not nuts. We originally had Ruth in the title and description. This thread alerted me to the auction and I updated the description.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Peter Calderon

Default Changes

Quote:

No Scott, you're not nuts. We originally had Ruth in the title and description. This thread alerted me to the auction and I updated the description.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Scott Russell

Kudos on the quick response!

Old 10-16-2018, 03:05 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpoolem3 View Post
The Heritage listing says

"years ago this was thought to feature an image of Babe Ruth but has since been proven to be Rube Marquard"

They are not representing it as a Ruth they are telling you flat out its Rube Marquard

They just added that statement today. When I posted my comment, this statement by them, wasn't there. I also sent a message to Heritage, highlighting the issue to them. I got a response this morning from Peter Calderon, where he told me they were aware, and had updated the description.

Regarding the holder, I thought it was a newer holder.....my mistake.

Steve

I just saw Peter's response in this thread. Thank you Peter, for the fast response!

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 10-16-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I would like some Board advise. I read and then reread this post with growing concern, for I hold this card in a PSA 8 with a flip clearly stating it's Ruth. I recall buying it off Ebay sometime back and gave no thought that it could be anybody but the Bambino; the red stockings, the distinctive left handed pitching motion and, of course, the PSA pedigree. My baseball stats book reveals the remarkable year Ruth enjoyed in 1917; he went 24-13 with an ERA of 2.01, 35 complete games, 128 strikeouts, etc. I couldn't find much of anything about Rube M. for that year, so it seems logical that Ruth would be the player to grace the stamp. Who knows? Well, I guess PSA does since they now recognize their error. So what should I do, since my copy is now worth less?

1. Nothing. Just keep it the way it is, have a cold one and move on.
2. Quietly return it to PSA for a new flip and do nothing.
3. Loudly return it to PSA demanding compensation for their mislabeling and causing the value to sink.
4. Send it to SGC and cause as much grief for PSA as possible.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:41 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
3. Loudly return it to PSA demanding compensation for their mislabeling and causing the value to sink.
4. Send it to SGC and cause as much grief for PSA as possible.
Any thoughts?
#3. This is exactly what the Grade Guarantee is about. #4 doesn't make any sense; sure way to lose money on the transaction. PSA is the only one who can/will reimburse you the difference in values.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Scott Russell

BTW the board was instrumental in this change, it wasn't some arbitrary whim by PSA. I believe someone here located the photo the image was taken from and it's a perfect match.

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 10-19-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:10 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Here's an interesting thought:

What if this stamp was, in fact, meant to show Babe Ruth, but the issuer used the wrong photo?

Just like in other cases such as the E90-1 and E98 cards of "Cy" Young that actually show Irv Young, or the T3 Frank Baker that shows Jack Barry. The only difference with the stamp, is that the company didn't put the player's name on it.

The reason this might be the case, is:

1. The stamp was purportedly issued in 1917
2. Babe Ruth played for the Boston Red Sox from 1914-1919.
3. Rube Marquard played for the NY Giants from 1908-1915, the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1915-1920, Cincinnati Reds in 1921, and the Boston Braves from 1922-1925.
4. The Youth's Companion was an American Children's magazine, and it was based in Boston.

The fact that the stamp was issued in a magazine based in Boston, in 1917, and Babe Ruth played for the Red Sox at the time, while Rube Marquard played in New York/Brooklyn, lead to at least the possibility that the stamp was meant to portray Ruth, but simply had the wrong photo used.

Edited to add this:

Also, Babe Ruth was 22 in 1917, while Rube Marquard was 30. As mentioned above, The Youth's Companion was directed at children. Ruth was in his fourth year in the majors, and was having his best season on the mound. Ruth led the AL in starts, shutouts and ERA in 1916. Marquard on the other hand, was on the downside of his career. Additionally, the Red Sox won the World Series in 1916, defeating the Dodgers. In the World Series, Ruth was 1-0, while Marquard was 0-2. Neither team reached the World Series in 1917.

How would this possibility affect perceptions of the stamp?

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 10-19-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

None of it would. People who know would know it's Marquard, and be pissed that the sellers want Babe Ruth money.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
omfg...

as i am a real estate broker i can say this hopefully without hurting anyone elses feelings

he puts this on his resume ... "Passed the Connecticut Real Estate Agent and Connecticut Real Estate Broker's Examinations" lmao who cares, lol so did i. The tests were not a big deal. Its actually doing the job thats the hard part.
everything but a 4 year degree!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:44 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
None of it would. People who know would know it's Marquard, and be pissed that the sellers want Babe Ruth money.
I have to agree and would add that who it's SUPPOSED to be is irrelevant without a name on the card.