NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Thank You to Board Members

Posted By: Chris Ahart

Leon- Please delete if you feel this is too off target, or an advertisement.

I wanted to issue a very large thank you to the members of this board for the knowledge that I have gained since discovering this site. I've been blown away time and time again with the breadth of product in pre-war material, and the amount of experience here. I just recently helped my friend, Dan Fox, open up a sports card store here in southern Illinois. Here's a link to an article on the development of the store-

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest/eyesore-to-card-store-illinois-mans-dream-takes-s.html

The store has a developing range of 50's to modern era cards & memorabilia. We were both bit by the vintage bug very hard, so we a case of pre-war material. There hasn't been much interest in the tobacco era material in our market, which is great if it doesn't sell either . It sets us apart from the mall style store to have that material for kids to see. Plus we love it. Nothing exceptionally expensive, mainly some vg-ex commons.

I've read posts of some unscrupulous EBay sellers that live within an hour or two from us, a person from Johnson City, Illinois, comes to mind. I believe that person sold either reprint or trimmed material to a board member. If you have had any bad experiences with sellers from our area, please let me know. I would like to stay ahead of the curve and hope to keep the bad buying to a minimum. As I, and Dan, really appreciate the tobacco material, it is not our strong point. If you see a thread started by me questioning the authenticity of a card I've scanned, odds are someone is attempting to sell us an item that I'm not experienced enough with to feel one hundred percent comfortable. Thanks in advance, and the past, for the help & knowledge.

Chris Ahart

Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Great story. I wish you the best of luck!!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Chris,

It sounds like yours is a "field of dreams" type story. You build the card shop and the customers magically appear. I'm glad you guys went for the gusto. The best of luck to you and the store owner.

Peter

Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Hi Chris,
I live in Wisconsin and go through Southern Illinois 3-4 times a year. Will you post your address, phone number, and the hours that your store is open? It is rare to find a card shop that carries pre-war, so your business might warrant a special weekend trip.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Duncan

I am from Harrisburg originally and I was just in MArion this past week. Email me your address and number. Next time I pass through I will stop in.

Jason

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZvintage*investmentsQQhtZ-1QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Ahart

The store's address is-

Fox Sports Card & Collectibles
1100 Tower Square
Marion Il 62959
(618)997-3800

Mr. McQuillan,
The store hours are 9:00am - 6:00pm, Monday through Saturday, closed Sunday. Next time you're coming to Southern Illinois drop me an email or give the store a call. We can always be open later, earlier, or on Sunday for anyone's convenience.

Mr. Duncan,
Same goes for you. I have to say those are some very nice items you are selling. Our vintage merchandise is nowhere near the quality of yours, yet. Although we have some rather amazing 19"x28" photos, like this one, that are just stunning in person.

http://www.zoneartsgroup.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=26

Thanks again
Chris Ahart