NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Is there any chance at all that these cards are legit? Opinions?

Posted By: tbob

http://cgi.ebay.com/1910-E90-3-series-AMERICAN-CARAMEL-SMITH-Rare-card_W0QQitemZ8737722362QQcategoryZ86841QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

He has several different cards on ebay. The backs look awfully nice and the scans are blurry. I know the typical "caveat emptor" language is there but I just wonder...

Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

The black border looks way to thick to me and I would also bet "baseballniceguy" is his other handle.

Edited to correct typos unless otherwise noted.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

boarders look too thick as noted. The also seems to be a bit too glossy for an e90-3. Then there are all the standard cavets in the decription. Also, givent hat fact that the vast majority of e90-3s were found in CA or the midwest, I doubt you will be finding these cards at a garage sale in NC.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MyBuddy

.... I'm selling out of desperate need of money ....
.... BOUGHT FROM A YARD SALE ....
.... I KNOW LITTLE-NOTHING ABOUT THEM ....
.... ALL SALES ARE FINAL ....
.... THEY COULD BE REPRINTS ....

But, then again, no "God Bless America" ... so you never know

Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

Borders are too thick and that green is not right.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

at least no one had to die...

Old 12-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The back is the easier way to tell that they look like reprints. The border line should be 2 thin small lines right next to each other, not one thick line like the photo in auction looks. Also the glove should have stiching and not look so bold at the bottom. All the small print looks too bold along with the picture border line and caption on front. I asked the seller for a clearer scan last night and he said he would try to scan them for me today. Frank

Old 12-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i placed a first bid on them because i never thought these were reprinted. they did look a little glossy to me and all the scam signs were present as mentioned.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Ooops, I guess someone smelled them out. Ebay threw them out, probably because they were reprints but the guy selling them was saying he didn't know, all sales final, if you're screwed, you're screwed, etc.
I had to laugh at the post above "at least no one died." LOL, touche'

Old 12-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

Dennis they make reprints of just about anything. They make reprints of reprints.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

not that it really matters most likely, but i was directed to this forum by a collector. i was the one selling those cards and there was not a word in my listing that wasn't true. i just had no idea what i had there (or thought i had there) or i certainly would've tried to have them authenticated or refuted. according to www.oldcardboard.com, they weren't worth that much. i though i'd maybe get $50 a piece for them tops. I wasn't trying to scam anyone or anything like that. at first i was kind of mad to read some of the things being said about me, but i've cooled off. i understand that you guys who collect have to be very careful and probably have seen a lot of scammers. for the record, i am not one of them. i've worked hard to get and keep 100% feedback and really don't wish to have my name tarnished. I'm not a criminal....i just know virtually nothing about vintage cards. i was gonna use my learning about these as a jumpstart into collecting vintage, but now i'm not so sure that's the way to go. i'm not sure i want to touch the hobby. I just want to be clear that i intended nothing at all. The forum comments on here have convinced me that the cards are fakes...i just didn't even know fakes of these existed...couldn't find any record of that. was gonna send scans to frank (??i think??), but is there even any point?? anyways, despite the need to be suspicious of sellers with rare cards, please do remember that there are some honest sellers out there that, quite frankly, don't know ****. i'm willing to admit i'm one. i apologize to anyone who was mislead, but that's why i tried to be detailed and specific (even though that ended up hurting my credibility). I tried to pull the cards off ebay last night, but ebay had already done it for me. Please understand, I was not out to mislead or decieve anyone. thanks.
jeff

Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Falletti

fwiw. From a bitter buyer of counterfeits, You may consider having any questionable cards graded. I've been collecting since the 60's and still can't tell some of these fakes from the real deals. Some of these crooks are masterful at aging the copies. Send them in, it's only a few bucks and you'll likely get more bids than raw cards and not have to worry about refunds, returns or Negs. Good luck

Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

absolutely. i've learned my lesson. if nothing else positive has come of all this, i have come out of the experience a member of PSA. Any vintage card i come across from now on i will absolutely have graded before attempting to sell it. oh, and i've also learned to ask questions on here regarding vintage cards, and not simply take what oldcardboard.com says as gospel. to anyone new to the hobby who sees this: don't sell any card as "i don't know if it's authentic" even if that is the case....it's either a reprint for sure, or it's professionally authenticated. thanks again to those of you who didn't assume me a criminal simply b/c i didn't know any better. thanks

Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

i though i'd maybe get $50 a piece for them tops. I wasn't trying to scam anyone or anything like that.

< dumbfounded expression>

Steve