NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2017, 05:51 PM

Default Cool T80/T206 Find -- Cairo Monopol

During my quest to complete a back run on the T206's I developed a few new passions as I was intrigued at the varying levels of difficulty and rarity for several backs. That led me to the T80's which shared the the T205's characteristics on the front with the gold and borders but came with some of the rarest T206's backs. As I'm aware they were part of some of the last year and run for the T206 printing I also was confused at the reasoning of why a random back for the Cairo Monopol was printed only for the T80 and never appeared for the T206. As some of them have shown up in locations outside the US this might explain the reason why it is so rare. The one I have was acquired from a vendor located in the U.K. Also the even rarer blank backs for the T80's were only distributed in New Zealand (which is also where I came across mine).

Through all my research I never came across a picture of a Cairo Monopol tobacco pack or packaging. Which also raised my intrigue much as the T206 Cobb backs have never been found in their packaging but were believed to come from those tins. Yet recently my luck struck again and I acquired a Cairo Monopol pack and I wanted to share its picture with the rest of you. I can't make out the date on the tax stamp (but it has to be sometime after 1901), and it is odd as the box has one factory on it and the tax stamp has another.

Either way enjoy and I would love to hear any thoughts of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5833.jpg (79.1 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5832.jpg (80.6 KB, 561 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5829.jpg (67.8 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5827.jpg (79.3 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5826.jpg (81.9 KB, 560 views)

Last edited by Blitzu; 03-13-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Interesting that the slide is factory 363 and the tax stamp is factory 65. Is the factory 363 printed on a label?
Maybe they had them all set to go at factory 65 and needed some at 363 so they distributed them from there?

Nice pickup!

Steve B
Old 03-13-2017, 06:54 PM

Yeah that's interesting you bring that up because I actually noticed from the pictures that the side of the box with the factory 363 appears to have a border around it, like it was placed over the original factory section. I'm going to take a closer look at the box tonight and see if that is a paper overlay or something else.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzu View Post
Yet recently my luck struck again and I acquired a Cairo Monopol pack and I wanted to share its picture with the rest of you. I can't make out the date on the tax stamp (but it has to be sometime after 1901), and it is odd as the box has one factory on it and the tax stamp has another.

The Tax stamp date is 1907. The T80 cards were printed and issued in early Spring 1911 with these 4 backs (and very seldom found Old Mill backs).
The very attractive Cairo Monopol pack you have did not contain these T80 cards.
Nevertheless, it's a neat item and thanks for displaying it.

TED Z
Old 03-13-2017, 07:27 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Post it over on the nonsports side, and don't forget to show the front. ;-)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Hi Ted, and thanks for looking at the tax stamp. I still can't make out the printed date but the factories are clearly different from the card (factory 30). But just finding a Cairo Monopol shell around that time frame is what I am really happy with seeing as I haven't found another example before. Has anyone seen another and if so any from factory 30?

I also have all five T80 backs (uzit, old mill, Lenox, tolstoi, and the blank):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4445.jpg (69.2 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4446.jpg (35.1 KB, 470 views)

Last edited by Blitzu; 03-13-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Post it over on the nonsports side, and don't forget to show the front. ;-)
That forum is practically dead...and for me the fronts don't matter at all. I honestly wouldn't care if this was an error card and honus wagner was printed on the front all that matters to me are the backs. I would try and get a better example of this Cairo Monopol (no pin hole would be nice) but these rarely ever become available. There's only that really over priced one on eBay that I've seen in the last few years.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
The Tax stamp date is 1907. The T80 cards were printed and issued in early Spring 1911 with these 4 backs (and very seldom found Old Mill backs).
The very attractive Cairo Monopol pack you have did not contain these T80 cards.
Nevertheless, it's a neat item and thanks for displaying it.

TED Z
I can't read the date on the cancel, but the series is 1901, which was used from 1901-08. Still no T-80 inside, but I can't imagine a brand that had fairly low sales would have changed the package much unless they really needed to.

Steve B
Old 03-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Steve B

The Cairo Monopol Cigarette pack shown above had to be modified in order to include a T80 card.
The T80 cards with Cairo Monopol back advertisements (Factory #30 N.Y.) could only be inserted
in a pack designated Factory #30.....as required by the Federal Tobacco Tax law.

TED Z
Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Default nice pack

Nice Cairo pack (even if not in date period) very cool. I'm pretty sure Ive got some Old Mill & Uzit T80s still. Maybe one Monopol left, they are tough.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:52 PM

Just in case there is any confusion I never meant to imply that this pack housed a T80, or the one in my photo. I simply was putting a face finally to the boxes that likely housed them as I have never seen another example before.

Thanks .
Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Steve B

The Cairo Monopol Cigarette pack shown above had to be modified in order to include a T80 card.
The T80 cards with Cairo Monopol back advertisements (Factory #30 N.Y.) could only be inserted
in a pack designated Factory #30.....as required by the Federal Tobacco Tax law.

TED Z
Of course, it's the wrong year and wrong factory whichever factory it's from. If it is, the paper label factory change is interesting.

The point was that I think the brand would probably have used a pack that was the same except for the factory number.

Although, when did they become part of ATC? The tax stamp appears to be their own. And I can't recall seeing an ATC brand without an ATC cancel on the stamp.
The factory change on the tax stamp probably wouldn't have bothered the federal tax people. The accounting was done once the stamp was cancelled, and the biggest thing was collecting the tax.

Steve B
Old 03-15-2017, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I Like packaging and tobacco packs quite a bit. Nice stuff...

Quote:
During my quest to complete a back run on the T206's I developed a few new passions as I was intrigued at the varying levels of difficulty and rarity for several backs. That led me to the T80's which shared the the T205's characteristics on the front with the gold and borders but came with some of the rarest T206's backs. As I'm aware they were part of some of the last year and run for the T206 printing I also was confused at the reasoning of why a random back for the Cairo Monopol was printed only for the T80 and never appeared for the T206. As some of them have shown up in locations outside the US this might explain the reason why it is so rare. The one I have was acquired from a vendor located in the U.K. Also the even rarer blank backs for the T80's were only distributed in New Zealand (which is also where I came across mine).

Through all my research I never came across a picture of a Cairo Monopol tobacco pack or packaging. Which also raised my intrigue much as the T206 Cobb backs have never been found in their packaging but were believed to come from those tins. Yet recently my luck struck again and I acquired a Cairo Monopol pack and I wanted to share its picture with the rest of you. I can't make out the date on the tax stamp (but it has to be sometime after 1901), and it is odd as the box has one factory on it and the tax stamp has another.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default "That forum is practically dead"

I hope they don't find out right away.......
Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
I hope they don't find out right away.......
Lol, it's sad, because I think there is a large following for the non-sports tobacco cards, and the people there have a wealth of knowledge. Problem is that since it's so slow a lot of the members don't check the forums regularly. So any requests for trades/buys/sales or even information sometimes doesn't get answered for months if not years. I still have people emailing about posts I made there a few years ago that weren't ever originally replied to. It's a bit crazy. I like the forums but maybe they need to update the forum software or something to encourage more members to stay active.

Last edited by Blitzu; 03-16-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Very cool find of a tough tobacco packaging product. I have a near complete set of T80s, missing just one I think, (goes with my gold border obsession) and a near complete back run as well missing only...you guessed it, Cairo Monopol. My little set has taken a back seat lately and I rarely think about it but thanks for bringing it up again.

Joshua
Old 03-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
That forum is practically dead....
Does that mean this forum is on life-support? The non-sports pickup thread has 50% the posts that the pickup thread has here.

Maybe the non-sports forum can spice things up like they do here. Maybe a few posts on local card shows. Or something interesting and new regarding bid retractions or fake cards on eBay. How about Auction house reminders? Or "Show your whatevers".

Actually, some of those aren't bad ideas.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Default T80s

I'm pretty sure The T80 Cairo on eBay now was mine. Price seems a tad high? but maybe he's looking for the St Patricks day pot of gold. I sold my set 3 yrs ago. lets see whats left in this stack here,,,, 2 Old Mills , 2 Uzits , 3 Cairo Monopols
Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Default Jared,

great stuff my friend!

Jim R is an expert on these