NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Rob Miller

Default OT: RIP Ron Santo

It's been a sad week in the world of baseball. First Gil McDougald....now one of the greatest 3B and broadcasters of all time.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Jeff

Default sad news

As a lifelong Cubs fan, this is indeed sad news. His passion for the Cubs was unmatched as was his courage through the myriad of physical problems he encountered. Not only was he a Hall of Fame worthy player but was a first ballot human being. His tireless efforts for Juvenile Diabetes are known throughout Chicagoland. Had the pleasure of meeting him off the field numerous times and was always generous with his time and to share a story or two. He will be missed in the baseball community but especially in his beloved Chicago where he is an icon. Rest in peace, Ron.

Here is a picture of Ron with my sons at a card show in 1991.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santo Photo.jpg (72.3 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by wrapperguy; 12-03-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Jeff

Truly sad, met him numerous times. What a first rate human being and great ballplayer. Growing up as a Cardinal fan in the 60s/70s, Mr. Santo and Mr. Banks were the face of the enemy but truly fine ballplayers. I know he will be greatly missed by his team and his city. RIP Ron.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Default RIP Ron

Very sad news to wake up this morning to. Was won of the best players to come out of the state of Washington. A true legend in the Seattle area.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
David Str@@te

A fantastic player and one of the better color guys on the radio. I'll always remember the Cubs botching a play and Ron yelling "Gee Whiz" in the background.

R.I.P.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraate View Post
A fantastic player and one of the better color guys on the radio. I'll always remember the Cubs botching a play and Ron yelling "Gee Whiz" in the background.

R.I.P.
Well said. He should also be commended for the money he raised for diabetes research.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Santo for the Hall...

What the people at the Hall of Fame put Santo through year after year was an absolute crime. The fact that he is argueably one of the 6-7 best players at his position in the history of the game begs the question of just what exactly these people who have votes are thinking about. Santo was, without arguement, the third best third baseman in the history of the NL...and a case could be made that as an offensive and defensive player together, he may have been Eddie Mathews' equal.

His offensive numbers were hampered by playing during the pitching happy period of 1963-1968. These were his best years, during which an arguement could be made that he was the best player in the majors.

The fact that he played his career with such a tough medical condition to deal with, that he retired at age 34 instead of hang around and pad his stats for the Hall, that he was truly one of the great players of his generation...it is unfathomable that he was not elected during his lifetime. And, unfortunately, this was something that was very important to the man.

An absolute crime that he was not inducted while he was alive. If it should happen now, it will be even more of a sorry affair. A sad day indeed, for those who appreciate great baseball and a great person.

Tom C
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Barry Arnold

Default ron s

i loved watching him play ball when i was a boy trying to be a little leaguer.
a remarkable man in so many significant areas.
a sad day,indeed.

my condolences to family, friends, fans

barry
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Born and raised a Cub fan (Dad wouldn't have it any other way) - fondly remember Ron running down the left field line after a Cub win, and jumping up and "clicking" his heels together.

I know my father, who passed away in '98, is welcoming Ron thru the Pearly Gates, and sitting down with him to figure out exactly how the Cubs lost the penant in '69!!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Another Buck O'Neill fiasco. A guy who belongs in the HOF and was kept out until after he passed when he would have been thrilled to have been inducted during his lifetime.
For those who think he is not a HOF, please explain Mazeroski getting in and Santo not, to me, one more time.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Wow sad to hear this for all Cubs and BB fans alike... I wished he had gotten into the H of Fame too... he left us too soon! He always came across to me as someone really nice to the fans...
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Steven Finley

R.I.P Santo. You'll get your Hall pass soon.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:18 PM
M!ke S@il£r

He was before my time, but my dad use to marvel at how fearless he was at the plate. From my understanding, he use to practice getting hit with balls in the pitching cage and normally lead the league in the stat. Much like the movie Happy Gilmore. I would really like to see a HOF ballot shift back to some of these old-timers. Seeing a player like Ron Santo get in the HOF means much more than a Larry Walker. IMO
Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Ken McMillan

I knew Ron through the fantasy camps held in Mesa. Always a class act and always ready to sign an autograph. Baseball will miss him and hopefully will finally recognize him with Hall of Fame entry. My heart goes out to his family and especially his son Jeff who filmed "This Old Cub". He actually played on our team when we were short a player. His dad was definitely a better ball player than Jeff but we had a blast. Rest in Peace Ronny.

Kmac

Last edited by kmac32; 12-03-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Richard Cline

A sad day for baseball, I also remember following Santo as a kid growing up in the 60's & 70's, great player and he must have been an even better person.
RC
Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Joe Jesselli

A little boy who was a baseball fan in the 1960s knew there were three great third basemen in the game: Brooks Robinson in the AL and Ken Boyer followed by Ron Santo in the NL. Brooks is in the HOF due to his unparalleled artistry in the field and the fact that his career spanned both of his NL counterparts. Santo and Boyer were both very, very good defensive players, but both were much better hitters than Brooks. All three should be in the Hall.

RIP Ron Santo...here's one Mets fan clicking his heels for you.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 AM
ErikV

Default OT: RIP Ron Santo

In the summer of 2009 I visited Chicago. As part of my
trip, I went and saw a Cubs game and also took a tour
of Wrigley Field. As part of the tour, we got to go in the
press box where I got to sit in Ron Santo's seat. I'm sure
he's got an even better view now.

I'm going to miss hearing him on WGN radio and his colorful
"Oh no's", "Aw, c'mon" and his "All Right!" when his beloved
Cubbies would win.

I never met Ron Santo, but know he was a great ambassador
to the game. He will be greatly missed.

ErikV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrigleybooth.jpg (75.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-04-2010, 07:36 AM

Bob, in two words "Damn Yankees". Maz. slew the dragon in 1960 and that one moment, with the fans of 15 other teams behind him, got him in Cooperstown. Santo had a HOF career and a HOF post career. That he and O'Neil are not in HOF is shameful.