NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Rob Miller

Default Purchase "The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories" for a good cause!

Tom Zappala, author of "The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories" asked me to post this press release for him. I spoke to Tom on the phone and he is really passionate about this foundation and the work they do. I was happy to assist him in getting this information out to the Net54 community.

Press Release
November 8, 2010

Authors Tom & Ellen Zappala of Merrimac, Massachusetts are pleased to announce that they are partnering with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation to help find a cure for Diabetes.

Finding a cure is close to the Zappala's hearts as two children in the family have Type 1 Diabetes. Because of this, the Zappalas will be donating $10.00 from each purchase of their award-winning first edition baseball book, The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories which was released in June 2010 to national acclaim.

It is a beautiful hardcover coffee table book with colorful images and captivating stories of the men responsible for our National Pastime. This is the perfect holiday gift for every fan of baseball, even the casual baseball fan.

Books may be purchased on the author's website www.t206players.com . For more information, call 978-346-9496. Authors Tom & Ellen Zappala will personally sign each and every first edition book.

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) is the worldwide leader for research to cure type 1 diabetes. It sets the global agenda for diabetes research, and is the largest charitable funder and advocate of diabetes science worldwide.* The mission of JDRF is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that strikes children and adults suddenly, and can be fatal. Until a cure is found, people with type 1 diabetes have to test their blood sugar and give themselves insulin injections multiple times or use a pump - each day and every day of their lives. Even with that intensive care, insulin does not cure diabetes, nor does it prevent its eventual and devastating complications, which may include kidney failure, blindness, heart disease, stroke, and amputation.*

Since its' founding in 1970 by parents of children with type 1 diabetes, JDRF has awarded more than $1.3 billion to worldwide diabetes research, including more than $107 million last year. For more information regarding JDRF, call 781-431-0700 or visit www.jdrf.org/baystate .

Note: For a complete press kit and reviews of the book go to www.t206players.com .
Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Net54baseball.com always happy to help

I should mention that Rob was kind enough to email me first about posting this thread. If anyone is doing a charity, or contributing to one, and it has a great vintage card tie in, Net54baseball.com is always happy to help in any way we can. This looks like a great cause and a nice book.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Good book.

Great cause.

Done Deal!

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Daryl

I received mine at the National at the PSA luncheon, and had it signed by the authors at the PSA booth. It's a great book.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Great Idea for a Great Cause

Just ordered mine and can't wait to read it! Dynarl
Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Richard Cline

Looks like a great book for a great cause.
My best,
RC
Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Troey

I would order it....but I already have it. I got it about a week ago and I haven't had a chance to dive into it yet. I did flip through it quickly though, and it looks like fun.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Steve Skibel

Just ordered mine! Their donation is for a great cause!
I have been a Type-1 Diabetic for 41 of my 43 years. Let's all try to support them find a cure.

Steve
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Barry Arnold

Default 206

a fine book which provides an interesting introduction to the lives of the players.

a top drawer cause.

best,
barry
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

A good book about the players, but the pictures of the cards themselves are a waste of space since they are just phony looking reprints. But I'll overlook that and buy for this great cause.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
A good book about the players, but the pictures of the cards themselves are a waste of space since they are just phony looking reprints. But I'll overlook that and buy for this great cause.
Why is it that everyone who makes a T206 "something" often feels the need to use images from mint reprints? I agree it would be a lot more authentic to use real cards of varying grades/conditions.

Nevertheless, I already bought the book and love it. Great cause.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Rob Miller

Default Thank You

Tom & Ellen would like to extend their thanks to all who have helped the cause:

We have been overwhelmed with stories from people who are either diabetic or have relatives who are diabetic.The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation does great work, and we are thrilled to be partnering with them. We have been getting requests from all over the country. The entire collectibles community has stepped up to the plate. We are proud of our book, but more proud of the fact that we are all making a contribution to finding a cure for diabetes.
Thanks again,and a happy Holiday to all.People are out of work and many are struggling. However, good people always manage to support a cause.
Thanks again,
Tom and Ellen Zappala (The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories)
Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Got mine in the mail last night...

I did a quick flip through and it is nicely laid out. I agree that using originals over reprints would have been more authentic, but can't argue with the concept. Plus it was a nice way to help a good cause...happy holidays!!!
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
David Str@@te

Now my wife can't complain that it's hard to find me anything for Christmas.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Richard Cline

Received my copy this past week and am looking forward to reviewing it in more detail, looks great already.

Was a good day at the mailbox, also received an autographed copy of "The Black Aces" by Jim "Mudcat Grant, who I had the opportunity to meet on a flight out of LA into Detroit last summer.

Looking forward to reading both.

RC
Old 12-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Default great cause

Thanks for your passion and hard work for a great cause. I look forward to reading it. Mike