NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2009, 05:17 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Default Sometimes The Cards Talk To Me.....Do They Talk To You???

Ernest L. Krotz was born in 1917 in Cleveland Ohio. In his lifetime, he was an accomplished artist, cartoonist, sculptor, poet, musician, and athlete. He had a poem published and was accepted to the "Mud Hens" a St. Louis farm team. A handsome man when he was young. Ernest, also spoke fluent German and during World War II served gallantly in the OSS (precursor to the CIA). In addition to all of this, he was a budding entrepreneur, starting a small company called "The Baseball Bureau" back in the early 1940's. He put out a small booklet in 1943 with a list of baseball publications. Remember, this is during World War II and paper was a precious commodity. Here are a few pic's from his booklet...

Fast forward to the year 2009, Ernest's younger brother passes away.
Ernest's nephew, who ends-up inheriting his uncle's and father's possessions,
starts putting some of their stuff on eBay. Ernest, being a big baseball fan,
collected some baseball cards during his lifetime. As siblings are prone to do,
both brothers wrote down their names on the back of their cards. Here is a
picture of the back of one of Ernest L Krotz cards...

A couple of weeks ago, I saw eight different auctions running on eBay with the following title....
"MLB Hall of Famer Gordon S. (Mickey) Cochrane 5x7 vint.". All eight cards were in the right
category. Perhaps some of you card junkies saw them? The cards were 1930 W554 strip cards.
They were in okay shape, some glue and scrapbook residue on the back side and a couple with
haphazard cutting.....nothing that the Bruce's of the world would collect. But, since I chase after
baseball cards like a co-worker of mine chases after skirts (he does not care whether the skirts are
ugly, tall, short, wrinkled, or dull and I try to apply that principle to my baseball card quest).
I put in some snipes and won seven of the eight cards. They arrive in a prompt manner, along with
a bonus....the small booklet (shown in the first picture). Here is a picture of the cards I won for $100...

Last night, my wife, who is a very practical women, asked me why I collect old cards? My answer.........
"sometimes, they talk to me". If you go to the World War II memorial site
(http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default....subpage=search)
and type in the name "Ernest L. Krotz" here is what you see...

Ernest L. Krotz life ended tragically in 1944 at the age of 27 ("killed in action"); defending this great country during World War II. To this day, the War Department has yet to release his military record to the family. Thank you Ernest P. Krotz for the cards as well as the ultimate sacrifice!

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 02-19-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Frank Wakefield

Thank you, Iggy. You'd think that in this day and time any information they had would be released. A interesting story.

FW
Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 PM
FredYoung

Great story Iggy---and well done!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

The find of the year!

It would be terrific to keep these cards and His story together for following generations. Could you get the seller to give you the other buyer's contact info or perhaps provide a lunk to this great post?

Thankyou Iggy. Thankyou Ernie
Old 07-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Johnny S

That is really cool. They sat all those years and ended up in some really good hands. I bet the reason his records have never been released is because he was in the OSS and they were so hush hush Top Secret on everything. I wonder if he ever crossed paths with Moe Berg ? Part of the charm of the writing on old cards and cards really beat up is you wonder what kid opened them up, listened to the games on the radio or newspaper and kept stats on them, or in cases like this wrote their name on them. What a treasure.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Joe P.

Well done Iggy ... Thank you for sharing ... and thank you Ernest L. Krotz, you're still among us.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 PM
JeR@Me

Default Incredible...

Thanks for sharing... Warm and fuzzy
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Before I let this thread disappear into the oasis. I would like to add another 2 cents to it. The broader point I think I am trying to make, is that most of us do not know the origin of the prewar cards in our binders safe-deposit boxes. What kid or father or uncle opened-up that T206 that you have in your hands. Did they meet their demise in a mustard gas attack during World War I? Did they survive the 1917 Spanish Flu? Did they survive disco? I have a few pre-war cards in my collection that I can trace back to the original owners along with an accompanying story; and that makes them extra cool. Perhaps the stories were embellished by the family....well, some stuff can be checked and some can't.

Not to wax poetic, but I really believe that to a degree collectors are gatekeepers to history. Therefore, when the opportunity presents itself to get some information about a baseball card's past. It is extremely imperative that we seek and store that info......it will make this hobby that much more enjoyable. During Skydashes 45 seconds of fame, I was one of the ones who yelled "BRAVO", when he slabbed his cards with the name "SKYDASH COLLECTION". If you own one of his cards, it just adds another layer to the story your grand children will tell one day when they start to look through your collection (before they sell it, of course!). So, be on the look-out for your own "Ernest L. Krotz" card story, you won't regret it and you will be doing this hobby a service.

Lovely Day...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Barry Sloate

Great story, but to add a minor point: the DeWitt Guide was first published in 1868, contrary to Krotz citing 1869. It's likely he never saw the first one.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM
D.B. Cooper

good stuff

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-17-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Joe P.

Default Even without the pictures .....

The read is worth the bump .....
Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Jason

Default Goosebumps, Iggy,... goosebumps.

Thanks for this, and thanks for the bump, as I completely missed it the first time around.

Some of the cards talk to me, alright. They most certainly do. Ever see Dead Poets Society? carpe diem....
Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Barry Arnold

Default talk

great story, iggy.
moving, on a number of levels.

best,
barry
Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Scott

Default edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Great story, but to add a minor point: the DeWitt Guide was first published in 1868, contrary to Krotz citing 1869. It's likely he never saw the first one.

are you an editor?

or you hate to see minor errors, they ERK YOU?