NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM

Default t204?

i had seen a t204 square port never seen one befor i would guess they are rare by the price tag. does anyone know why they where produced? where they a regional or sub set? what is there value compared to the oval t204
Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM

They were produced to honor the six players in the set with Worcester, Mass. ties.

Anderson lived in Worcester.

Bancroft Managed there.

Bransfield was born there.

Burkett Managed there.

Dineen was a Red Sox hero of 1903 and 1904.

Moran was from nearby Fitchburg, Mass.

They can also frequently be found with normal oval fronts with blank backs.

Square frames will bring a substantial premium, up to 10x's normal price would be safe to say, the blank backs only 1.5x's +/-.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ramly square frame set.jpg (54.4 KB, 317 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Interesting. I knew about the Worcester connection but not the correlation between blank backs and Square Frames for the, well, square frames. Learn something new here all the time-great stuff.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Almost all of the blank back T204's you will find will be one of the six square frame players. Once in a while you will find a non-square frame player with a blank back. 99% if not 100% of these are early production Ramly cards that were actually two pieces put together, from front and back sheets and then soaked apart(or fell apart in time). I have talked to one of the most revered(sp) old timers and he told me in the early years everyone thought all T204's were two parts. I have also seen one with back adhered upside down. I have a small group that are markedly misaligned and show two edges. Later Timayenis(seller of Ramly and TTT cigarettes) went to a solid card stock which the vast majority of T204's will be found on.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Default Thanks for the great information

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the great information. I did not know of this connection, and I was born in Worcester, MA myself.

Thanks,

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 09-29-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Just came across this thread while doing some research, thanks for the informative post Scott.
In another thread it seemed to indicate that some of these square frames were more common (relatively) than other ones. Is this true, and which ones? Any idea why?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Ken Wirt

Great stuff!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Wow! Great info and photos Scott

PS. Thanks for bumping, I missed the first round of posts...