NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Default What type of T206 back collector are you?

Posted By: JimB

There are several approaches to back collecting with regards to T206s. One can go for an example of every brand back, every brand in every series, include color variations (red Hindu, brown Old Mill, Brown Lenox), border variations (Am Beauty with and without border), all factories, districts, series, overprints, etc., or all of the above.

My main interest has been in getting one of each of the 16 brand backs to include in my set. An additional goal would be to have one of each of the color variations. I do not yet have brown Lenox or Old Mill yet. I have no interest in factory and district variations and little interest in series variations.

So my question is: If you are a collector or T206 backs of one sort or another, what is it you are interested in collecting?
JimB

Old 12-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

That was my goal when I got started in 1989. Had 15 of the 16 by 1992. When I saw my first and only Cobb back in '94, it's price was greater than the mortgage on my house, and it was in much worse shape. That's when I became content to have 15 of the 16.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Up until last night i assumed i had every t206 back i wanted. I had 5 American Beauty backs but never checked to see if i had all 3 variations.I found out that all 5 of them were the 350 series with borders version,so i found the other 2 on ebay last night and won them.So now i have all 34 backs i plan on getting. The only one id want to get that i dont have is the Broadleaf 460 but ive had chances in the past and didnt feel like spending the extra $1200 at least,it costs over a BL 350,so unless i find one listed wrong i'll pass on that back.

Back when i first started collecting t206s off ebay i decided to get every brand and thru finishing the set,i ended up missing just 4 backs(besides the BL460) i wanted.The other 2 were a blank back which i won early this year and the piedmont 42 back which i won 2 of off ebay with 15 minutes of each other.I wasnt going to be home so i bid high on both hoping i got one.Like i said tho,up until last night i didnt know i still needed those 2 backs so when i got the piedmont 42 back i figured i was done.

I also collected back miscuts,errors,etc until the prices got too high on them,but i was able to get some cool ones before that happened like the 4 below,which are all printed upside down from the front, and make a pretty picture when pieced together

Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I am not a big T206 collector yet!!! But when I do buy one I try to get the Polar Bear back just because I like the way it looks, especially the really nice ones with dark colors that look like they were just printed.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

My immediate goal is to complete the T206, getting a players with their different poses (so 514+??) I am slowly building a master set, but not pushing that scheme too hard yet. I'd like to acquire all the possible backs for each player. I haven't done the math on this yet, but it certainly is a lifetime commitment, so it won't be something to be spending thousands upon thousands on. Oh well, we'll see where it takes me. I'm hoping Hal will send the Wagner my way soon!

Jimi

Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tfever

I am a dead serious t206 collector. My t206 back collection isn't bounded to 16 types or 40 variations (as reference from T206 Museum site) I collect all types of back miscut/error/overprint that I could found. I collect t206 front with miscut/error/overprint as well. However, I don't even have a "completed" t206 set (What a shame). May be I should pursue putting together a t206 error set instead

Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Hi Jim

great question.

i'm trying to get one each of the 16 as i work toward completing
the 206 white border.

i'm going to send you the scans of some (as promised) as soon as i learn
how to use this 'fancy' scanner.

all the best,

barry

Old 12-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

I'm up to 23 different backs, including most of the different companies and series through Lenox. I skip the color variations and different factories. Doubt I'll ever get any more, unless a "cheap" Uzit comes along.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Drew

Hi Everybody

After winning a Red Hindu last night,I now have 34 different backs/series variations. I need a Broadleaf 460 and a blank back.
I am one who also dosen't believe that the Cobb back belongs in the T206 set.

Drew

Old 12-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I find miscuts, misprints, and ghost prints interesting anomolies as well, but I would not consider them as back variations. I definately find them to be desirable and wish I had a few. Just a different species.
JimB

Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

well at least 15 of the 16 of which i need 3 more...i also, like the polar bear back as well as the carolina brights, submitted an offer for the carolina brights earlier hope to get it, then i'll be down to 2...

pete-

hey jimi, i finished that list!

Old 12-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Hi Jim,

I'm the kind of back collector that collects everything I can find.
I think it's interesting to go through hundreds of T206 and figure out which factories are less common than others. That probably sounds extremely boring to some, but it grows on you.

I used to only concentrate on hofers with rare/uncommon backs, but then I realized that I'm way too broke to do that! Now I just work on finishing my player set and finding interesting front/back combos, color variations, and would eventually also like to get my hands on a brown old mill and brown lenox.

Rob

Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

I don't go out of my way for rare backs. I do like diversity with this issue so I am pleased when I pick up a nice Polar Bear or Sovereign, Lenox or Old Mill.
I would like my humble low grade set to have a few examples of back variations other than the P's or SC's.
Always looking for decent low grade PSA T-206's.
RayB

Old 12-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I collect all Boston AL/NL players, I have all these T-206s. However, I do like picking up the El Principe cards of other teams other than Red Sox. Other than that, I try to finish off my T-207s and 205s boston players.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nathan

I try to collect all backs of Luther Taylor...

He has 13 different backs...

American Beauty 350
Broad Leaf
Carolina Brights
Cycle 350
Drum 350
El Principe de Gales
Old Mill
Piedmont 350
Polar Bear
Sovereign 350
Sweet Corporal Factory 25
Sweet Corporal Factory 30
Tolsoi

I have tracked down 8 of the 13.

Also thanks to Dan McKee, I have a blank back one as well.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

I have the following represented in my HOF collection...

American Beauty, Frame - Ty Cobb
El Principe de Gales - Willie Keeler
Hindu, Brown - Cy Young
Old Mill, Black - Jack Chesbro/Ed Walsh
Piedmont, Series 150 - Bobby Wallace
Polar Bear - Jake Beckley
Sovereign, Series 350 - Rube Waddell
Sweet Caporal, Series 150/Fact 30 - Addie Joss
Sweet Caporal, Series 350/Fact 25 - Walter Johnson
Tolstoi - Jimmy Collins

I'm looking to replace the Chesbro or Walsh portraits with a different back that I'm missing. Bresnahan is also a placeholder for a new T206 reverse type. Do any of these three come with a Carolina Brights back? That would be fantastic

edited to add Jimmy Collins

Old 12-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

why luther taylor? relative, friend of family....???
just curious
pete-

my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!

Old 12-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Mark
Walsh, Chesbro, and Bresnahan Portraits are not available with Carolina Brights backs. However, Bresnahan Batting and Jimmy Collins are possible and I have seen both. In fact I have a Bresnahan Carolina Bright, but he's not for sale. Happy Hunting Brian

Old 12-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nathan

Taylor was a deaf baseball player...I chose to collect him for two reasons - I am deaf as well and love the T206 set. It gave me a focus in that area.

Luther "Dummy" Taylor from baseball reference...

He was a favorite of the Giants' John McGraw, perhaps because he could not talk back. McGraw learned the rudiments of signing so he could communicate with Taylor from the bench. They were sharing opinions of Tim Hurst's umpiring one day without knowing the arbiter had a deaf relative and was also proficient in signing. Hurst ejected them both.

Taylor went 18-27 for New York in 1901, leading the NL in losses, games, starts, and hits allowed. He started the 1902 season with Cleveland but returned to the Giants, and went 21-15 for them in 1904. He compiled a 51-30 record from 1905 to 1908. He later joined the staff of the Illinois School for the Deaf.
=========
Now, there's a new deaf pitcher in the wings that might make to MLB someday soon. His name is Ryan Ketchner and he is a lefthander in AAA. I'm sure as Ryan gets closer to the majors, Luther Taylor's name will come up a bit more.

There have been others like William "Dummy" Hoy, Richard Sipek (1945) and Curtis Pride playing other positions.
========
Of course, I'm always looking for the other cards so if you can help, let me know.

Nathan

Old 12-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete ullman

I began t206 back collecting about 10-15 years ago but never really pursued it agressively. I bought a drum hofman about 13 years ago for $30 in MD and sold it 2 years ago for $1015. I have a nice abaticcio blue sleeve lenox back, a m brown red hindu...all in toll I have 21 different permutations of backs with the original intention to get all 16 diff brands. I then got interested in factories and series variations and spent some time hunting down piedmont fact 42's and then just hoarding any rare backs I could find!!!

I passed on a BL 460 at a ft washington show years ago not realizing!!! I will always consider the cobb back part of t206 just because it's so ingrained in my head...although the contrary is a mighty convincing argument!!

pete in mn

Old 12-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

Thanks Brian - I guess I'll need to look at some other combinations. I need to pick up that T206 book listing all the variations.

------------------------------
MY COLLECTION: http://www.rustywilly.com/MYCOLLECTION.htm

Old 12-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

i love that taylor collection. i may have to try a similar all-backs player collection.

i too would like to get at least one of each of the non-cobb backs. (i'm up to a whopping 9.) i haven't really kept track of back variations yet but can see myself doing so if i stick with t206's.

and not that it requires much effort, but i'll always go a bit out of my way for polar bears. i like the look of the backs - a hint of tobacco staining is a bonus.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

http://cgi.ebay.com/T206-Vintage-Baseball-82-Hal-Chase-Nationals-Portrait_W0QQitemZ8733379980QQcategoryZ86841QQcmdZ ViewItemQQisPrinterFriendlyZ1QQpvZ2

Old 12-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Steve,

what 7 backs do you need
and
what polar bears are you after?

It may be trading time again!!!!

best,

barry

Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian E.

I have something similar to the Luther collection but not arranged as nicely and I have the advantage of hunting for different backs with four different front variations (red, green, baton, batoff). The disadvantage is the obvious cost.

Have:
Broadleaf 460
Piedmont factory 42
Carolina Brights (x2)
Cycle 460
El Principe de Gales
Tolstoi
SC overprint
Old Mill
Polar Bear
Sov 350
Sov 150
SC 350
SC 150
Piedmont 350
Piedmont 150

T213 I and II

Want list: American Beauty, Hindu (red & brown), Lenox
Wish list: Drum, Uzit

Old 12-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

i pretty much still need the more difficult ones: hindu, carolina brights, broadleaf, lenox, uzit and drum. well, and then cobb but that's not even a remote possibility.

i'm hoping that invoice from psa arrives today or tomorrow, perfessor, so i'll probably be ready to deal. in a couple of cases, i need to figure out if i want to keep 6's or lower-grade copies - i'm actually leaning toward the latter right now. plus, i might have a couple of raw dupes too.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Nathan and Brian,

I think both of your player collections is a great way to collect backs. Ive never really concerned myself with the backs of my T206s - but trying to collect them of a particular player actually seems like a pretty interesting way to do it.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Administrator

thank you, that was a pretty neat story and im happy that you shared it, i learned something today

pete-

Old 12-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

you must have searched a while to find all those