NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Baseball HOF

I know there has been a lot of opinions on the Hall, what's wrong with it, why some people don't like the owners, etc., etc. . . . Swore I would never go back until certain people were in the Hall . . . that whole routine . . . .

Went last weekend for first time in a decade. Have to say I was just stunned about what an incredibly beautiful, smart museum it is. What probably surprised me the most is that there are exhibits discussing Bonds, and McGuire and the steroid era. Pete Rose also. These guys don't have plaques obviously but their careers and achievements are discussed. As of course is Shoeless Joe and countless others. I always thought they were white washed away which is not true at all. On so many subjects like the Negro Leagues, Hispanic players, 1800 roots of the game, International aspects, I just though the way they handled things was near flawless. Great discussions of baseball against the backdrop of bigger issues like civil rights and racism. The mix of modern and old is really superb. Have to say reading about what henry Aaron went through just a few decades ago was profoundly depressing.

I'd recommend a trip in Jan - Mar before the million kids show up to play ball at the stadium. Off season it was an amazing way to spend day. (No much open in town though.)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-22-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Todd

Default Hof

I love visiting the Hall of Fame. Cooperstown is a beautiful place.

The last time I was there (few years ago), I spent a few days in town. Pretty nice hotel down by the water. I was excited most about the HOF's baseball card display I remembered as a kid. Unfortunately, they were doing some renovating and that wing of the museum was closed. Ugh! Still enjoyed it, and actually went twice in a 3 day span.

I plan to go this summer. Really looking forward to the Simpsons exhibit too!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:38 AM

I haven't been in a long time but do they still have those Cracker Jack boxes on display? I remember years ago they had these two complete unopened boxes and next to them was an X Ray image of the cards inside.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I was in Cooperstown last weekend also. I went up to clear snow from my property as they got 34 inches the week before. Agree it is a great time to visit but be sure to check the weather.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM
Mike Dugan

Last September I had the chance to spend five days in Cooperstown during the annual HOF Film Festival. It was a wonderful trip with my now grown daughter and my first trip since 1989.

It took three different flights, a rental car and we stayed at the Otesaga Hotel. It was a VERY expensive week that I wouldn't trade for anything.

The folks at the HOF were very friendly and the Hall is beautiful. The only complaint I have is the lack of material being displayed, no where near the amount displayed in past decades. I asked about the baseball cards and they said they have chosen to no longer do a card display or room. I would guess there are 40-50 great cards incorporated in the exhibits. I also asked to tour the library and was told it is no longer available to visitors.

The construction of 100 plus youth league baseball fields just south of town guarantees thousands of daily visitors to Cooperstown each Summer day which is great for the HOF! I do feel that the exhibits are now geared to a younger crowd. I do think the staff understands the needs/wants of the majority of their visitors.

In 1989 I toured the College Football Hall of Fame then in Kings Island, OH, the Pro Football Hall in Canton and then spent four days in Cooperstown. After seeing the Baseball HOF I wondered if the staff at both the College and Pro Football Halls had ever visited Cooperstown, they were light years behind.

I just toured the Pro Football HOF again and I have to say they have surpassed Cooperstown in their displays in many regards and of course I was fortunate to see the Hunt-Casterline card collection which is beyond nice. Different sport, different customer.

With that said I loved Cooperstown and the HOF! I would add for travelers, the Otesaga is nice at $545 a night but the Holiday Inn Express ten minutes south of town is new, clean and a bargain at about $135 a night in the off season. We spent our first night there.

I appreciated Bruce, Shirley, Sarge and whole staff at the Baseball HOF, great folks. My one regret is not purchasing a t-shirt at the Dugout Cafe just a few doors down from the Hall. It read "Cooperstown, a drinking town with a baseball problem." Also a must visit is the Ommegang Brewery just outside of town, great beer and food.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Great discussions of baseball against the backdrop of bigger issues like civil rights and racism. The mix of modern and old is really superb. Have to say reading about what henry Aaron went through just a few decades ago was profoundly depressing.
"The constant through all the years... is baseball." - James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
In 1989 I toured the College Football Hall of Fame then in Kings Island, OH, the Pro Football Hall in Canton and then spent four days in Cooperstown. After seeing the Baseball HOF I wondered if the staff at both the College and Pro Football Halls had ever visited Cooperstown, they were light years behind.

I just toured the Pro Football HOF again and I have to say they have surpassed Cooperstown in their displays in many regards and of course I was fortunate to see the Hunt-Casterline card collection which is beyond nice. Different sport, different customer.
I visited the Pro Football HoF last summer with my grandpa for the first time - quite sad considering I live 20 minutes from it, and have my whole life. With it being my first time, I didn't have prior experience(s) to compare it to. However, I was impressed with the technology. The hologram video was pretty cool, and I did enjoy the Hunt-Casterline card collection. The museum worker in charge of that exhibit that day didn't know the details regarding graded cards and such, so I spent about a half hour educating my grandpa and the employee.

I've been to Cooperstown once, and that was in 2011 if I remember correctly. I did it all wrong, all the way down to eating Chinese food instead of a hot dog for lunch - how unAmerican and unBaseball Fan of me (although the Chinese food was good). I'm planning on going back next year with my best friend. We're planning on heading to the induction ceremony to see Jim Thome get inducted, assuming he's a 1st ballot HoFer. The timing might work out where the trip becomes my bachelor's party, but regardless, does anyone have any tips on how to plan the trip for the induction ceremony? I have family that has a lakeside cabin on one of the Finger Lakes that we would probably be able to stay at, but how is driving in and parking on the day of?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame