NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
If I am looking for a higher end rare card, the chances are I will find it with PWCC or Probstein. That's the (disappointing) reality. Maybe add yepbg and 707. There are a lot of cool sellers out there with neat stuff, but on eBay the high end stuff tends to end up largely in a few places. As but one example off the top of my head, a Goudey Ruth in a grade above 4. Good luck finding that on ebay and not with one of these sellers. If there are 30 such Ruths sold a year on ebay PWCC probably sells 25 of them.

And the oddball sellers who have one for sale, the winning bidders turn around and consign the card with PWCC as soon as it gets in their hands. To me, that is a problem, and helps intensify the PWCC/Probstein phenomenon. No one wants to sell the cards themselves, because they feel like they are leaving money on the table. If some of these bidders would supports sellers other than those two guys.......I guess that's a pipe dream though.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:16 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
And the oddball sellers who have one for sale, the winning bidders turn around and consign the card with PWCC as soon as it gets in their hands. To me, that is a problem, and helps intensify the PWCC/Probstein phenomenon. No one wants to sell the cards themselves, because they feel like they are leaving money on the table. If some of these bidders would supports sellers other than those two guys.......I guess that's a pipe dream though.
This is a solid point....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-09-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
Batpig..your statement doesn't make any sense to me. It's like someone put you up to saying this to make PWCC look better. Laziness cause you don't wanna search for items from other buyers, yet you wait just for Brent and only Brent to post. It's all a game and anyone who denies it is apprently incahoots with PWCC.
Why doesn't it make sense? I am typically looking for a specific year and in high grade, and I don't have time to search for those items every night. I know that on a specific date, PWCC will put a large number of those items up so I can get the biggest bang for my time rather than constantly slogging through misleading listings and other wastes of time. To be clear, this is only how I do it on eBay. When the other large auction houses put things up outside of eBay, I go through those too. It's just my eBay bidding that is heavily slanted to PWCC. Just because YOU don't personally agree with how I spend my search time on eBay, doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other people like me.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

I just set up automatic searches and let ebay do the work.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-09-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ditto....in all honestly, I cringe a little bit when I see them sell something I want. I doubt I'm getting a deal is the major reason. It's never customer service issues.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Remember the old days where you could search another eBay bidders current bids. All you had to do was follow other bidders and let them do all the research.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Remember the old days where you could search another eBay bidders current bids. All you had to do was follow other bidders and let them do all the research.
What I miss is not being able to track certain (alleged) card doctors' purchases. All those 5s and 6s that would magically reappear as 8s and 9s.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-09-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
This is a solid point....
My answer to that is very simple . . . if you have a nice card to sell, give it to a great auction house that will market it and take no seller's commission. There are a bunch of great auction houses that get kudos here all the time. LOTG. Brokleman. Others. Don't sell on eBay. Negotiate with someone who actually does some work on your behalf.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Ed Woelfle

Quote:
All those 5s and 6s that would magically reappear as 8s and 9s.
.. or all those 2's and 3 MK's that magically reappear as PHENOMINAL!, BREATH-TAKING! and STUPENDOUS! photoshopped raw cards on Battlefield0516's auctions
Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default A pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
.. or all those 2's and 3 MK's that magically reappear as PHENOMINAL!, BREATH-TAKING! and STUPENDOUS! photoshopped raw cards on Battlefield0516's auctions

Seems like a pattern .
Old 03-10-2017, 03:40 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
Or even more devious. Those SGC "A" cards that appear near mint!! That is like hitting the jackpot for battlefield!!
Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Or even more devious. Those SGC "A" cards that appear near mint!! That is like hitting the jackpot for battlefield!!
She just sold that trimmed Cobb Green for $4,000.

She only got $3,000 for it back in January. The market for trimmed Cobb greens is exploding.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Jay Cee

Last edited by BeanTown; 03-10-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Paul

Here's a few rules I live by happily in my collecting life. To each their own:

SNIPING. If you are buying on ebay without using sniping software you are only helping the seller make more money. Raising the bids before the end only drives interest in the auction and causes eventual snipers to place higher snipes. If sniping was making ebay money they would offer the service.

SHILLING. If you are bidding in a blind auction (like ebay) you should assume you are always being "shilled." And real "shillers" in ebay don't bid things up in increments. They place "shill" snipes. Why would you shill in increments when you will be noticed by potential buyers (and potentially outed on Net54)?

Before you bid you should determine how much you want to pay for the item and then "set it and forget it." Shilling is an occupational hobby hazard. If you want to play in the auction house setting you'll be much happier paying what you want for an item without worrying that you could've had it cheaper but for some phantom shiller.

Just my 2 cents...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-10-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:24 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Now that the bidding is over, I will admit to being the person who put in all those bids on the Siegle. I was not the consigner of this card, but wanted if for my personal collection. I have also never retracted a bid. For those that do not know me, I'm a bit obsessed with the e92 set (5 red crofts, 40 different nadja, a few blues, 2 menageries, a prizefighter, a blank back, etc). So figured this card would fit nicely into my collection. As for the other cards I was bidding on, the e93 Cobb is the last card I need for my set. The 3rd card ends tonight so I don't want to divulge it until after it ends, but would be happy to do so at that point.

So why did I bid like this? Quite frankly, to make people hesitant to bid given PWCC reputation for shill bidding. Had this been any other seller, I likely would have just put in a snipe and waited for the outcome. Does bidding like this work? Hard to say for sure, as it only takes one other person putting in a snipe to be outbid. I had a price in mind that I was willing to pay up to and set my final snipe to that amount. In this case, whoever won the card obviously still wanted it just a little more than me. However, as a few people such as Dan have mentioned, it put them off from the auction, so it did have at least some influence on some potential bidders.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-13-2017, 06:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have a feeling more and more are playing some pseudo-games with PWCC and Probstein auctions hoping to scare others away. If I wanted something I would just bid what I want, as a snipe, and not think about it. Alas, no great looking T205 Cobby so I am safe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Now that the bidding is over, I will admit to being the person who put in all those bids on the Siegle. I was not the consigner of this card, but wanted if for my personal collection. I have also never retracted a bid. For those that do not know me, I'm a bit obsessed with the e92 set (5 red crofts, 40 different nadja, a few blues, 2 menageries, a prizefighter, a blank back, etc). So figured this card would fit nicely into my collection. As for the other cards I was bidding on, the e93 Cobb is the last card I need for my set. The 3rd card ends tonight so I don't want to divulge it until after it ends, but would be happy to do so at that point.

So why did I bid like this? Quite frankly, to make people hesitant to bid given PWCC reputation for shill bidding. Had this been any other seller, I likely would have just put in a snipe and waited for the outcome. Does bidding like this work? Hard to say for sure, as it only takes one other person putting in a snipe to be outbid. I had a price in mind that I was willing to pay up to and set my final snipe to that amount. In this case, whoever won the card obviously still wanted it just a little more than me. However, as a few people such as Dan have mentioned, it put them off from the auction, so it did have at least some influence on some potential bidders.

DJ
Old 03-13-2017, 11:44 AM
D@V!D

Quote:

DJ
"Mic drop"
Old 03-13-2017, 01:50 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Now that the bidding is over, I will admit to being the person who put in all those bids on the Siegle. I was not the consigner of this card, but wanted if for my personal collection. I have also never retracted a bid. For those that do not know me, I'm a bit obsessed with the e92 set (5 red crofts, 40 different nadja, a few blues, 2 menageries, a prizefighter, a blank back, etc). So figured this card would fit nicely into my collection.

DJ
It looks like the seigle might have been to the right of Crawford.
Crofts Cocoa Crawford.jpgSeigle crofts cocoa.jpg
Old 03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Pat, I believe you are right, at least for cocoa backs. I'll see if I have a chance to start a new thread later tonight with several other miscuts.

DJ
Old 03-13-2017, 03:31 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have a feeling more and more are playing some pseudo-games with PWCC and Probstein auctions hoping to scare others away. If I wanted something I would just bid what I want, as a snipe, and not think about it. Alas, no great looking T205 Cobby so I am safe....
+1 The aggravated buyers on this forum could learn a lot from this. Find a value that you think is fair, set a snipe, then walk away.

Like others have said, assume you will be shilled on any platform, more so if you can't see the bidders and snipping is not allowed.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:59 PM
Tim B
Banned

There are also people like me who bid differently every time motivated solely by my desire to land the card. Depending on the card, I DO like to find out where the topside is and then double it for my last second bid. So I'll one click up until I find the original bidders top. I'll click it up and then if I think the guys initial top bid is too high for me, I'll give up having only cost that guy more money especially if I was the only other serious bidder. In the end, that guy may pay much closer to his top side bid because of me.

Warm glass of milk and I still sleep fine. I also have never retracted a bid. Ever. I pay literally instantly and have been actually scolded for paying before invoice.

Now, I'll ask since I never really considered it - am I a jerk ebay bidder?

I really don't mean to be. I don't work for the auction house and am small time, nickel and dime.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:13 PM
Todd Schultz

I often will make a placeholder bid, usually well into the auction (sometimes the final day). This is for far less than what I would be willing to pay but enough to win at the time, so that in the unlikely event my snipe does not fire off, I still have a shot--I actually have failed to do this and watched an item or two go for less than what I would have initially bid. Two bids. Max. I also watch those items so that I receive outbid and "about to close" e-mails, just for reminder purposes.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:34 PM

Just clicked on over a dozen PWCC auctions bid history ending tonight....

84%, 90% a few 100%

Sorry.... I ain't buying it!!!!

Just complete BULLSHIT to me!

I won't bid on any with stats like that, I guarantee there is shilling involved.

Painthistorian runs tons of auctions of coll stuff and doesn't have those numbers.

I just ain't buying it!!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:54 PM

How can one tell on eBay how many bids a bidder has retracted (in general and in a specific auction) and how many times a bidder has bid? When I hit bid history, all I see is a string of single bids with f**s (1896) etc. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Click on the hyperlink for each of those bidder IDs.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Dan
Tell us how ya really feel?

LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post

84%, 90% a few 100%

I won't bid on any with stats like that, I guarantee there is shilling involved.

Painthistorian runs tons of auctions of coll stuff and doesn't have those numbers.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Just as a follow up, I won the third card I was bidding on for a bit less than my max bid. The card was the W554 Gehrig.

DJ
Old 03-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Mark Medlin

I was high bidder on the exhibit lot with yellowhorse and Ruth etc... from 5 seconds to 4 seconds. Then I wasn't high bidder anymore.

Mark
Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:

84%, 90% a few 100%

Possibly the most egregious shameless plug I've ever seen on net54.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
you must not read the board much
Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
you must not read the board much
LOL...Can I plug my stuff too? My auctions don't have those kinds of stats. They also don't go for those kinds of bloated figures either.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:34 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:

84%, 90% a few 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post

Quote:
LOL...Can I plug my stuff too? My auctions don't have those kinds of stats. They also don't go for those kinds of bloated figures either.
Are you two stating you think Dan Mckee is plugging his own auctions when he mentioned painthistorian? Because from my understanding that isn't his ebay id.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Robert Williams

I wasn't insinuating anything. I know painhistorian. He has a lot of good stuff. I know a lot of sellers (me included) that has good stuff and we AREN'T Probstein or PWCC. I don't like that you are insinuating that I am insinuating.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
I wasn't insinuating anything. I know painhistorian. He has a lot of good stuff. I know a lot of sellers (me included) that has good stuff and we AREN'T Probstein or PWCC. I don't like that you are insinuating that I am insinuating.
I am not insinuating, I am asking a clarifying question based on "Can I plug my stuff too" which makes it sound like you think someone "plugged" their stuff and you want to also. Also I am clarifying for those that didn't understand the comments like myself that painthistorian and Dan Mckee are not the same.