NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Default Interesting Negro League cabinet

Anyone else watch this listing end? It has a notation on the back that it was the Page Fence Giants. I only see one guy with a bat and uniform. The rest of the crowd is dressed in formal wear. Any chance this is a full team and not just a gathering of friends?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Derek Granger

I was watching that too. I couldn't identify anyone though so stayed away. The guy with the bat had a resemblance to Bud Fowler (in complexion and stature), but I am certainly no expert...

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:31 PM

I wanted to bid strong but I had a hard time trying to decide if this was in fact a team or if it was just a bunch of friends gathered and one of them happened to be playing baseball earlier or something.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Phil Garry

Well, since the Page Fence Giants were formed during the mid-1890's, I would say that the ID on the back is meaningless...
Old 02-11-2017, 12:24 PM
A.J. Johnson

damn what a great looking cabinet! Thanks for sharing
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Very interesting image but, no, I could not find a relationship with the Page Fence team either. The ink on the back also looks more recent. However, aside from the questionable connection to the Giants, its a great image in its own right. You just don't often see a large group of well-dressed African Americans in images back then and then with the added bonus of one of them having a bat and base ball uniform.

Rob M
Old 02-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Steve Peissig

I'm no expert, especially when it comes this early stuff but could the date be right and the team be wrongly identified? There's not too many photos out there to compare but a few of the guys look like players from "Original Cuban Giants" and they played back in the mid-late 1880's.

I don't know who they are but it's a really cool photo.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannybb24 View Post
I'm no expert, especially when it comes this early stuff but could the date be right and the team be wrongly identified? There's not too many photos out there to compare but a few of the guys look like players from "Original Cuban Giants" and they played back in the mid-late 1880's.

I don't know who they are but it's a really cool photo.
I thought about that as well but still couldn't make any key matches. However, the guy in uniform with the bat does wear a uniform similar (except for the pants) to the Original Cuban Giants but I guess that argument is true for a lot of teams during that period that wore similar uniforms to these.

Rob M

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

dt-common-streams-streamserver-cls.jpg

Page Fence:
1896_page_fence_giants_team_cabinet_photograph_d6021380g.jpg

Last edited by ramram; 02-13-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Scott Russell

Writing is in ballpoint which means the writing is post WWII. Writing from 60 years after the photo was taken is pretty much useless unfortunately. I guess it gives you a place to start and you've run with that. Good Luck, It's a cool picture.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Steve Peissig

Here's a close up pic of a Harry Johnson with a mustache. Johnson was the lone white guy on the original Cuban Giants team and is also shown in the team pic Rob posted without a stache.

The white guy sitting in the middle of the pic that is in question was identified by an EBayer as possibly being Page Fence Manager A.S. (Gus) Parsons, who is pictured in the PF team photo. While there are some mustache similarities, my thoughts are why would the manager dress down for this photo? He's not wearing a suit, nor a tie and if you look at most team photos from this era the managers and owners are usually the best dressed. Just my thoughts, again I'm certainly no expert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnson_harry_photo.jpg (1.8 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by mannybb24; 02-13-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannybb24 View Post
Here's a close up pic of a Harry Johnson with a mustache. Johnson was the lone white guy on the original Cuban Giants team and is also shown in the team pic Rob posted without a stache.

The white guy sitting in the middle of the pic that is in question was identified by an EBayer as possibly being Page Fence Manager A.S. (Gus) Parsons, who is pictured in the PF team photo. While there are some mustache similarities, my thoughts are why would the manager dress down for this photo? He's not wearing a suit, nor a tie and if you look at most team photos from this era the managers and owners are usually the best dressed. Just my thoughts, again I'm certainly no expert.
+1