NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Mark

Default Any creative ideas for using old trophies

In this age of repurposing. I wondered if anyone had a good idea for using old trophies and parts. I bought a large trunk full of trophies and parts from the 30s to the 50s. There are a number of complete trophies but most are parts. Unfortunately only one baseball but at least there are no bowling. Anybody have a bunch of early baseball toppers? I hate to throw them out, any ideas appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.7 KB, 281 views)
Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Max Weder

Mark

If there is no interest for parts, you might be able to find a local artist who would be interested in using some for a multi-media work. I'm not sure how much interest, as the local Value Villages are often full of these things.

Last edited by baseballart; 10-30-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Do you have a local trophy place? Most modernish trophies are simple bolt together things, and toppers can be had that usually fit.

Another idea might be trying some of the geneology sites. Sometimes interest in ancestors skips a generation and the stuff that would be treasured is long gone. Usually it ends up in lots like this.

Any Boy scout or cycling related stuff in there?

Steve B
Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM
C00per

Funny, just this week my wife was talking about cool vintage trophies for sale on etsy. Seems to be a market for them there.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Jim Murphy

We have used them for

Bottle Toppers (add cork)
Repainted them
Used in gardens and on railing post on decks
Hood ornament on cars
added to lamps
household decor groupings
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Jim Murphy

We have used them for

Bottle Toppers (add cork)
Repainted them
Used in gardens and on railing post on decks
Hood ornament on cars
added to lamps
household decor groupings
flower pots
Old 10-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I dabble in trophy collecting. I sometimes see the same top or middle pieces used in different configurations. Tops, middle units and bases are available and I'm sure you can find screws and bolts at the local hardware store. Perhaps you can find additional pieces on ebay and make some really cool trophies.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Bruce Esser

If you have any trapshooting trophy parts I would be interested. I coach a high school trap team (all girls school). The girls really like the old fashioned trophies/medals/patches. Much more than the new ones.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Mark

I sold the trunk the trophies came, now I am going to have do something with them. Any chance any of these are sterling? This picture is much better than the original. Its interesting how many people think these are just trash and some find them fascinating. I think I can piece several together and make a little. A big pile definitely has to go to the scrap. Anyone know what the lady image would have went to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trophies.jpg (78.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks like a version of "Lady Liberty". I think she was used as a symbol of Victory, and was a popular Trophy Figural Image, especially in the 1920s - 30s.

Here are a couple from REA, a little while back...

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2005/734.html

Hope this is helpful, and best of luck
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Steve Birmingham

Sterling is almost always marked, usually on the bottom. The lesser grades are also usually marked, .860 was popular. Of course the cheapest was silver plate usually over copper or brass.

Quick test, tap it. If it pings and sort of rings like a bell that's a good sign, if it's more of a clunk it's plate for sure.

Some of those metal ones look pretty cool, if they're inexpensive I'd be interested. Heck, if they're cheap enough I'd save you the work of piecing them together and cleaning them.

Even the crummy ones. My sisters rabbit club is usually looking for trophies for their show and the toppers are cheap.

Steve B
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

You could try donating them to youth leagues. Make a few calls and see if anyone wants them. I wish I had done this with my room load of softball trophies back in the early '90s, but I tossed them out.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Mark

I found the base to the lady liberty statue it was from 1935. I am going to put the parts on BST for very cheap if you are interested.