NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2017, 11:44 AM
James Gallo

Default Opinions of what to do

So I recently bought this card as an upgrade. I own a SGC 30 so this was a big jump.

I got the card and in person the top left front corner looks off.

So my options are return the card, leave it as is or have SGC review the card. I had plans to sell the down grade so what do I do with that, and would you hold the down grade in case this comes back altered.

I left the pictures big...

Thanks
James G

Old 09-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Brandon V.

Playing around with the contrast. Something looks askew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adjusted.jpg (79.4 KB, 524 views)
Old 09-03-2017, 12:04 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Agree-Corner looks added on, if that is possible. I would send back to SGC for a regrade and tell the person who sold the card to you about your concerns, saying you will return it if it turns out to be repaired.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Altered?

I agree that the corner looks a bit off. Could be a stain though. The thing is I doubt SGC would admit their error. I think it's your decision. If you don't like it, return it. If you can live with it, keep it.

Last edited by mantlefan; 09-03-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Default The Seller ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Agree-Corner looks added on, if that is possible. I would send back to SGC for a regrade and tell the person who sold the card to you about your concerns, saying you will return it if it turns out to be repaired.

...have you notified the seller of your concerns ? Can he provide a history of the card ? He won't want it back in a different holder with a lower grade.....

Old 09-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

After seeing the small crease on the back, could there be some delamination and maybe glued?
Old 09-03-2017, 12:47 PM
rgpete

Unfortunately a black light won't work with the card in case to see if was repaired
Old 09-03-2017, 12:53 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
...have you notified the seller of your concerns ? Can he provide a history of the card ? He won't want it back in a different holder with a lower grade.....

It is generally accepted IMO that dealers won't take returns on graded cards. There is certainly some of the top layer paper missing, but my concern is that the top edge is straight and then bellows up at the corner. It does not look to be mis cut which generally explains this.... I am torn as this is certainly a much better card. Is this is a situation of ignorance is bliss. If I never have it reviewed then I will never know....

James G
Old 09-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
It is generally accepted IMO that dealers won't take returns on graded cards. There is certainly some of the top layer paper missing, but my concern is that the top edge is straight and then bellows up at the corner. It does not look to be mis cut which generally explains this.... I am torn as this is certainly a much better card. Is this is a situation of ignorance is bliss. If I never have it reviewed then I will never know....

James G
The seller has a 14 day return policy according to the listing, and they do not specify in the item description that graded cards are not eligible for a return and refund.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

If you have questions about it you aren't going to ever be happy with it. Return it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Return the card

Collecting is about enjoying your cards. Return it and move on..
Old 09-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Luke Lyon

To me it just looks like a transfer of some sort. Like the wet sheet transferred lines around the border. Beautiful card regardless. It wouldn't bother me at all, but like the last two guys said, if it's going to bother you, probably best to return it.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Archive

It would be hard to rebuild a corner and add the wet sheet transfer as well.

Could it be that the corner has been scuffed to the point that some of the top surface layers of paper were rubbed off?

I'm no expert nor am I familiar with these cards, just throwing out some food for thought or what I see in your scans.

Jantz
Old 09-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I would be pretty surprised if there was anything going on with that card. Boston Store/Collins-McCarthy cards are very thin cards and have a glossy surface on front. I wonder if there is just some wear or abrasion to the glossy surface that gives the appearance of something more.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-04-2017, 05:14 AM
Paul

The SGC holder doesn't help the image. If you look at the bottom left corner you can also see how the cut out corner of the holder makes it look like the card's corner is bigger or something "askew."

I am fairly sure the card was damaged in the ordinary course of its 100 year life, but like BigFanNY said, if you don't like the card send it back or resell it. I, too, get fixated on blemishes sometimes that make me hate the card. No reason to keep those and try to convince yourself you're over-reacting.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 09-04-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Lonnie Nagel

No visible hint of a repair on the back side....Im guessing this one is graded correctly and SGC would confirm their opinion on it. Having said that - Wow tuff set...eBay shows a grand total of 37 of these and NONE are inexpensive. Never even new these existed until today.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think it is graded correctly and that upper corner issue could be from being in an album, with those little things that keep the corners in (hinges?).

Last edited by Leon; 09-04-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If possible, instead of the entire card, can you post a scan, a large scan (hopefully hi-res), of just the area in question? That would allow the people here who could really help you out to offer an even more educated and insightful assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 09-04-2017 at 03:24 PM.