NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default 33 Goudey Gehrig sold last night.

Saw this on eBay last night and after an hour of pondering decided it was too risky. Didn't think the card was undamaged and seller is a low cost item guy with light feedback. I just couldn't take the plunge. Someone was either taken to the cleaners or got the Gehrig buy of the year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-goudey-...p2047675.l2557

Opinions?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Reg

Just from looking at the corners, that card is NOT an 8.5
Old 05-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Jason S!m@nds

The card looks real to me.. Good buy if it proves authentic.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yeah, the corners leapt off the page. If real might be lucky to be a 6. Was clearly out of the case for some reason.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Steven Finley

Steal, had he left it in the original case with the original card and original flip he would have got more than 10% of what he originally payed.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

http://bbcemporium.com/1933-goudey-l...terfeit-guide/
Old 05-03-2016, 08:56 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Card and Flip both look fake to me.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 AM
Dan Bl@u

Already a thread on this.

Thread

Looks like it didn't sell, the seller ended the listing?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Card and Flip both look fake to me.
How about the second flip on the back?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Based on the helpful page Peter circulated I'd say clear fakee.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Based on the helpful page Peter circulated I'd say clear fakee.
Agreed. But really the listing was such an obvious fraud that you didn't even need to scrutinize the card. If it looks too good to be true, it is.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Could have made it a 4 and basically asked for the same amount of money, and the red lights wouldn't have been so glaring.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Agreed. But really the listing was such an obvious fraud that you didn't even need to scrutinize the card. If it looks too good to be true, it is.
This. A modicum of common sense has to applied. The pop is 2. One was in the Merkle collection. The other was in the Spence collection. Now here it is on eBay looking like toilet paper in a pokemon case at the Jethroe County Swap Meet.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Could have made it a 4 and basically asked for the same amount of money, and the red lights wouldn't have been so glaring.
Red lights were flashing for me the second I looked at the slab and flip. I didn't even need to look at the grade; I knew something was rotten in Denmark immediately. A lower grade wouldn't have made it an easier sell.

I'm floored that somebody actually bought this pos.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:43 AM
je.sse @rnot

I'm surprised to see Net54 members actually thought this one might be real. Part of the case missing. The back side of the flip. The fact that a 25k card was listed for a BIN of 2k (I didn't look up the actual value, could be more or less).

I guess this explains how people fall for those ebay fakes. If members of the most knowledgeable baseball card forum consider purchasing something like this what chance does the casual collector have?
Old 05-04-2016, 01:11 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

The fact that the flip and the card are both the same width is a giveaway that something is rotten. If you look at any legitimate 1933 Goudey in a PSA holder, the flip is noticably wider than the card is.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 05-04-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm surprised to see Net54 members actually thought this one might be real. Part of the case missing. The back side of the flip. The fact that a 25k card was listed for a BIN of 2k (I didn't look up the actual value, could be more or less).

I guess this explains how people fall for those ebay fakes. If members of the most knowledgeable baseball card forum consider purchasing something like this what chance does the casual collector have?
I'm surprised, as well.

Whenever I look at an auction, I look for a reason not to believe the card is real. I consider the seller first, then the auction description..trying to find something that doesn't sound, or feel right. It's terrible I have to be this way, but my free money is in short supply these days, and until I get some things squared away, I have to be extra vigilant.

Once I've looked at those things, I then examine the flip and slab (if there is one), and then finally, the card itself. I'm very quick to start up a dialogue with the seller, asking for an extra picture with his user name if it's more than a $100 card. The sellers I've spoken with have been more than happy to do this, and the few times I've done it, I tell them they've earned my business, and I will keep my eyes out for their upcoming auctions.

It amazes me how bad some of these Ebayers are. They're selling junk, and anybody with eyes, and a semblance of common sense, should be able to smell them a mile away. And when you add in our hobby knowledge, we should catch (and report) a good 90% of the non-legit auctions.

I love a good deal as much as anybody else. But due diligence is always prudent.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:08 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Sage advice indeed, Bill.

However, Steve Finley provided the best nugget (IMO) from this thread:

I should get a t-shirt made that says:

'looking like toilet paper in a pokemon case at the Jethroe County Swap Meet'

LMAO - proudly!!

Nobody around here has seen this much fat (yours truly) jiggle this much in a long while.

Thanks Steve!

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-04-2016, 07:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

The old "if it's too good to be true, it is" canard has saved me a lot of heartache (and money) over the years.

I'm not any sort of an expert on judging cards. Getting better but a long way to go. If this card was in a decent looking case and slabbed a 3 or 4 and was being sold by a legitimate seller with a strong track record I probably wouldn't have doubted it's legitimacy at all.

I'm not going to buy a $1000 card off some dude who last sale was some $12 trinket.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

There are some good resources out there discussing the most frequently faked cards. It never ceases to amaze me that people looking for 52T Mantles cannot spot the obvious fakes, because it takes all of ten minutes to learn what to look for.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

This is no better than a Fritsch reprint.

On this card if you see anything that this listing exhibits...run.

Run far, far away.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.