NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2016, 12:10 AM
je.sse @rnot

Default Happy to be outbid

I don't know if this is happened to any of you, but I recently found myself placing what was for me a fairly significant bid on a card I always liked but wasn't really on my radar. It was well before the auction ended, but close to what I felt the card would close for. It held for a week or so, until the last couple of days when I was outbid. I was actually pretty relieved as after I made the bid I felt there were cards I'd rather pick up first.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:59 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

It's happened to me many times.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 AM
D@vid L@dd

Happens to me whenever I have an extra bourbon...my wife calls it drunk-bidding...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2016, 07:56 AM
Robert Williams

God...all the time. There was a recent Spahn rookie SGC "A" on Sterling recently. I had already bid it up to a premium. Once the person outbid me, like almost immediately, I was like "Thank god"!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Has happened to me more times than I can count. I imagine for many of us addicts enthused collectors it is not too uncommon.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Dave H@rford

Like others, this has happened to me more times than I care to remember.

Unfortunately, the ones that I DO REMEMBER are:
1. I bid higher than I could afford at the time, then
2. Outbid at the last second, with a HUGE SIGH of relief
3. Regret later that I did not bid more because I have not found the card again in the last 5 years.

Dave
Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I was outbid on ebay recently by 5 dollars on a 1964 mantle ..exactly one bid..i was happy to see that
Old 03-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Goodwin

Just happened with a Babe Ruth on Goodwin. Was getting a bit nervous that I had overextended and then I was out of the game with a huge sigh although I may regret as I haven't seen one of these in a long time and may not again for a long time.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:45 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Just happened with a Babe Ruth on Goodwin. Was getting a bit nervous that I had overextended and then I was out of the game with a huge sigh although I may regret as I haven't seen one of these in a long time and may not again for a long time.
i think its funny when i am sooo relieved when i bid over market price and someone toward the end of the auction finally beats me...i am so happy...until i see in extending bidding 2 or 3 more bid even higher!..

its like thinking you beat a yellow light in traffic only to see 3 more cars in your rear view mirror behind you also 'beating' that light ..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-14-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Has happened to me more times than I can count. I imagine for many of us addicts enthused collectors it is not too uncommon.
It happened to me last summer when I bid on Leon's T206 Mullaney overprint. I had gotten carried away and pushed my bids further than I could afford. And yet I'm still a bit sorry that I didn't keep going.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Happened this last week

on three T201 I was chasing for upgrades. Turns out the one card I won was the higher grade for a cheaper price. The other two went for more than I was willing to spend and was relieved when I was outbid in the last five minutes.

Unfortunately I now regret missing on the Circotte-Toney as I've been watching now for close to three years...

I am so confused....sheesh.
...whatever I want
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i think its funny when i am sooo relieved when i bid over market price and someone toward the end of the auction finally beats me...i am so happy...until i see in extending bidding 2 or 3 more bid even higher!..

its like thinking you beat a yellow light in traffic only to see 3 more cars in your rear view mirror behind you also 'beating' that light ..
Same thing happened in this example. I suppose I was in no real danger of winning the auction as it closed about 30% over my max.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one this has happened to. There are plenty of auctions I regret not bidding higher. This was the first I can remember checking for a few days hoping to find I was outbid.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Daryl

Default Happy to be outbid

Quote:

+1

Also, in my enthused nature I have sometimes breathed a sigh of relief when an upcoming auction does not have a card on my wantlist, especially if I've recently bought some expensive cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
That's a pretty good analogy.

Last edited by 4815162342; 03-14-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
+1

Also, in my enthused nature I have sometimes breathed a sigh of relief when an upcoming auction does not have a card on my wantlist, especially if I've recently bought some expensive cards.

That's a pretty good analogy.
thanks......90% of my analogies deal with sports or real estate..so you got an analogy in my weaker hitting side......
Old 03-14-2016, 04:53 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post

+1 That sure is the truth!
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Ryan Waggoner

One time I put in a bid for a '67 rack pack before doing research. It was for what I would consider a lot of money. Suffice it to say I was immediately filled with dread when I found out the high rate of fakes that proliferate eBay. I was VERY happy when I got outbid in the closing seconds of the auction.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 PM
Mike

Default Bui

Mine prefers "bidding under the influence" ... or BUI. Either way, I'm grateful to have been outbid on a number of those cases, and really, really wish I had a couple back where I was *not* outbid. Sadly, no D-O's

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
Happens to me whenever I have an extra bourbon...my wife calls it drunk-bidding...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2016, 08:16 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I don't know if this is happened to any of you, but I recently found myself placing what was for me a fairly significant bid on a card I always liked but wasn't really on my radar. It was well before the auction ended, but close to what I felt the card would close for. It held for a week or so, until the last couple of days when I was outbid. I was actually pretty relieved as after I made the bid I felt there were cards I'd rather pick up first.
All the time. Plus a few feelings of nausea too when I ultimately wasn't outbid on a few things.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Ed Woelfle

I can see it now, "I emotionally way overbid on a 'x' card in so-and-so's auction for "y" dollars - - thank god some boob outbid me at the last second"

..and then some retort down the line "Hey! , I won that card!"

Old 03-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
I can see it now, "I emotionally way overbid on a 'x' card in so-and-so's auction for "y" dollars - - thank god some boob outbid me at the last second"

..and then some retort down the line "Hey! , I won that card!"

That's pretty funny and I thought about that too.

On another note, how many have put in stupid high, crazy, collector-minded snipes on eBay, hoping and praying no one else did too?

Last edited by Leon; 03-15-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:29 AM

"I don't know if this has happened to any of you..."

Um, yeah, all the time. But, sometimes it takes big Cojones to pull the big cards. Win some, lose some.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Sam Lemoine

A few years ago I was trying to give my wife a hard time and I put a bid down on a PSA 8 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle. The bid was equivalent to our mortgage. She thought I was crazy, but I told her it was a joke. I knew that I would be outbid very quickly. This was with six days left. I was sniped with five seconds left. If I would have won it would've gotten ugly at my house.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Show you wife what the Mantle card is worth today. Now she'll say you were an idiot for not going higher back then. LOL.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
A few years ago I was trying to give my wife a hard time and I put a bid down on a PSA 8 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle. The bid was equivalent to our mortgage. She thought I was crazy, but I told her it was a joke. I knew that I would be outbid very quickly. This was with six days left. I was sniped with five seconds left. If I would have won it would've gotten ugly at my house.
That's a great story
Old 03-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Show you wife what the Mantle card is worth today. Now she'll say you were an idiot for not going higher back then. LOL.
My wife used to get really upset about the money I spent. Then I sold a few things and she didn't get upset anymore (even before the first collection was sold).....Now she barely ever says anything except, somewhat sarcastically "I guess you aren't selling that one either?" ..to which I am always honest and say, maybe.

Last edited by Leon; 03-16-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
My wife used to get really upset about the money I spent. Then I sold a few things and she didn't get upset anymore (even before the first collection was sold).....Now she barely ever says anything except, somewhat sarcastically "I guess you aren't selling that one either?" ..to which I am always honest and say, maybe.

LOL! It's only a problem when you spend. When the money is rolling in, everything is hunky dorey.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
LOL! It's only a problem when you spend. When the money is rolling in, everything is hunky dorey.
Isn't that the truth!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 PM

The ones I remember are the joke bids that actually hold. I put in a ridiculously low offer for my 52 mantle (years ago) and was STUNNED when it held up. I had never bid so much for a single card before, and KNEW my bid was off by a huge amount ... so when I actually had to write the check ... it was a big (but pleasant in retrospect) shock. Funny enough, I did not learn my lesson and put in a joke bid on my 52 Mathews (6 days later) and won that one too!

I still want to know what was happening in the world that week because I couldn't do it again if I tried!

Maybe everyone on this board was on vacation that week and not checking ebay?

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
The ones I remember are the joke bids that actually hold. I put in a ridiculously low offer for my 52 mantle (years ago) and was STUNNED when it held up. I had never bid so much for a single card before, and KNEW my bid was off by a huge amount ... so when I actually had to write the check ... it was a big (but pleasant in retrospect) shock. Funny enough, I did not learn my lesson and put in a joke bid on my 52 Mathews (6 days later) and won that one too!

I still want to know what was happening in the world that week because I couldn't do it again if I tried!

Cheers,
Patrick
My PSA 1 sold for about $2200 back in 2005. Maybe that was the week you're talking about.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post

Cheers,
Patrick
Back in 2004 there was a raw Merkle Uzit on ebay selling for $1,000. I put in the minimal raise of $25. No one raised, and I couldn't believe I got it that cheap. It ended up grading a PSA 4.5.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:01 PM

I am always happy to be outbid on Ebay. I treat it like a game, place lots of bids for things I would like but in reality hope I do not win because I probably couldn't afford it all if I had.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
Mine prefers "bidding under the influence" ... or BUI. Either way, I'm grateful to have been outbid on a number of those cases, and really, really wish I had a couple back where I was *not* outbid. Sadly, no D-O's
I am embarrassed to say, I will wake up on a Saturday to the sound of my phone notifying me of out bids. I then scratch my head, rub my pounding headache and wonder where the bids came from only to have a faint recollection of being on an auction site the night before. Always a fun conversation when I win 3-4 items that weren't on the immediate want list...

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set