NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Deb Shattuck

Default Women in Baseball Images Sought

I am working on a book on the history of women baseball players (1866-1909) for the University of Illinois Press. I am looking for never-before published images of women players and teams from this period. If you have any images that you would allow to be published, please contact me. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Hi Deb, I have a few that you are welcome to use if you want them.

A Methodist/Episcopal church team from Niobrara, Nebraska in 1909.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Dan Bretta

I assume that this postcard is in the public domain now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stlstars.jpg (80.2 KB, 245 views)
Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat5 View Post
I am working on a book on the history of women baseball players (1866-1909) for the University of Illinois Press. I am looking for never-before published images of women players and teams from this period. If you have any images that you would allow to be published, please contact me. Thank you.

Deb, I sent you an email with contact info for someone you might want to talk to.

Jim VB
Old 11-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Deb Shattuck

Great images, Dan. I am definitely interested in researching the nazi swastika image on the St. Louis Stars card. I have collected quite a few articles on that team and am searching for information on the players and on Gibbs. (The team was based out of Cincinnati, not St. Louis. It was not at all uncommon for Bloomer Girls teams to call themselves after some large city, like Boston or New York, rather than after their own home town.)
Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Deb Shattuck

Thanks for the note, Jim. I have contacted the individual you mentioned.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Dan Bretta

Deb, I'm sure you already know this, but the swastika prior to being hijacked by the Nazis was a good luck symbol.

I tried to do a little research on Al Gibbs but couldn't find anything. I wonder if he had anything to do with the Bill Board magazine since you had to write to them to contact the team.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Max Weder

Here's an image of Julia St. Clair, team and date unknown.

Max
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Joann

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for thinking of me for this thread and passing on my contact info. I've been traveling a ton the past four weeks and not keeping up with anything internet the way I usually do - I def would have missed the thread if you hadn't called it to my attention. Thanks much.

Deb,

I got your email and will try to shoot you a note tonight after work. I'm in DC later this week, so if I don't get it tonight then this weekend for sure. Exciting project. I have dozens of images - some are very common and some I've never seen anywhere else. Great project - very exciting.

Dan,

Cool postcard! Is it actually a postcard, or something else? This is one of the favorite items in my collection - def in the top 3. But it's not a postcard. It's oversized - almost like a premium or something. The image is a very thin piece of paper that is pasted to the card, so I think this is actually the reverse. The picture of the individual player is printed directly on the card, and I think that was originally the front. I really like the individual photo on the front. Where did you get the postcard from?

Will email you later, Deb. And thanks again Jim.

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1905StLouisStarsBack.jpg (61.6 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 1905StLouisStars0607225.jpg (57.3 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by jmk59; 12-01-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Doug Goodman

Default Police Gazette

Here's the cover of the July 1, 1899 issue...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg police gazette 1899-07-01 cover.jpg (79.4 KB, 213 views)
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Dan Bretta

Joann, I sent you an email.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Jason Wright

Default 1860 Lady Baseballer Ambrotype

Hi Deb,

To my knowledge, this is the earliest woman baseball image known. It is an ambrotype of an anonymous woman in a fancy dress holding a bat and ball from circa 1860.

I no longer own this image but I could get in touch with the new owner for you if desired.

Regards

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1860c Lady Baseball Ambrotype CloseupSM.jpg (51.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 1860c Lady Baseball AmbrotypeSM.jpg (71.8 KB, 187 views)
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Deb Shattuck

Default The Methodist/Episcopal church team

I sure wish I understood how this forum works! Would you believe I just now found this response you made to my thread back in Nov 09? Is there some sort of setting I need to make so that I get e-mail advisories when people post to a thread I've started? I do get notices when people respond to responses I've made to other threads or to private messages but I didn't know anyone had responded to my thread. Also, I don't understand how to "subscribe" to threads. Can you explain that?

The photos you sent of the Methodist/Episcopal church team are wonderful! I expect I will use one of them because it represents another type of team I hadn't even considered previously--church teams. Can you tell me anything about the photos? Where did you get them? Are there any names associated with them?

Deb Shattuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Hi Deb, I have a few that you are welcome to use if you want them.

A Methodist/Episcopal church team from Niobrara, Nebraska in 1909.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Deb Shattuck

Default Police Gazette illustration

Sorry for my late delay in responding to this post, Doug. I still haven't gotten the hang of how to find responses to my posts. Great image of the female baseball players in the N.P.G. I hadn't seen it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Here's the cover of the July 1, 1899 issue...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rare pre-bloomer 1870s tintype of a female player for the "LABBC". When you zoom in, you can see she is holding what appears to be an acorn or ball-knob bat and an early "belt-style" ball...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman.jpg (68.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default original broadside

original young ladies baseball club broadside . trying to find photo for this piece. there is one on ebay for 4500.00 dollars. this is from a pennsylvania collection and that is where they traveled through alot. you can use this piece if you would like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001_1.jpg (78.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002_1.jpg (73.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003_1.jpg (74.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Dan Bretta

Deb, I picked up the Methodist team postcards at a local auction years ago...I've since sold them, but I'm pretty sure I remember who I sold them to...they did have names written on the back of one of the cards. If you'd like I can contact the new owner to see if he still has them.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Deb Shattuck

That would be great if it's not too much trouble. Getting the names might allow me to find out something about the players from census information or city directories. Sometimes I'm even able to track down living relatives of the players. I found the grandniece of Myrtle Rowe, the grandnephew of Alta Wiess and the grandnieces and grandnepher of Ruth Egan. Player names are a big help in my research.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Deb Shattuck

Awesome image! Does it happen to say anything on the back or have a date on it?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Kevin O'Gara

http://images.ha.com/lf?source=url[file:images/inetpub/newnames/300/3/1/7/317136.jpg],continueonerror[true]&source=url[file:images/inetpub/webuse/no_image_available.gif],if[('global.source.error')]&sink=preservemd[true] this is the poster broadside also from 1890 that sold at auction from Doylestown, Pa.

Last edited by khkco4bls; 02-20-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: delete thread
Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Default women baseball

this is the poster that sold at auction from Doylestown, Pa. the pencil notation asks for 100 images for 1890.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womens baseball.jpg (79.4 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by khkco4bls; 02-20-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey Deb,

Here's one I've always loved - and it's from the Library of Congress to boot!

Graig
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Deb Shattuck

Awesome photo! After I finish my first book, I hope to write a sequel which will cover the timeframe 1910-1954. Judging by the automobile in the background, I'm guessing this photo was taken in the 19-teens. I notice the players are wearing different color uniforms--could be two teams from a local school or, possibly, a barnstorming team. The Washington Post might have some articles if it is the latter.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Deb Shattuck

Another great image! I have seen a digital version of this previously. It yielded all sorts of useful information for me. It was published by a man named Sylvester Franklin Wilson who organized numerous women's baseball teams between 1879 and 1903. He frequently used aliases to hide from the law because he was arrested and jailed dozens of times in his life for for crimes ranging from petty to felony. The latter included sexual molesting his players--some of whom were under age 16. He ended up dying in the New York State hospital for the criminally insane. I plan to include an entire chapter about Wilson in my book.