NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Chris Buckler

Default Ruth PC in current Hunt Auction

Anyone have any info on this PC or an idea of value in Hunts auction Lot #158. I can't seem to find anything on it or previous sales. Obviously the lamination affects value but it doesn't seem to take away from the image.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Anyone have any info on this PC or an idea of value in Hunts auction Lot #158. I can't seem to find anything on it or previous sales. Obviously the lamination affects value but it doesn't seem to take away from the image.

Thanks,
Chris
I paid 1500 for one in vg-ex on ebay, not too long ago. hope this helps..
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

The Ruth card that Chris is referring to from the Hunt auction that just ended is here: Link. The original thread where we discussed the same issue that Leon purchased was here: Link.

I didn't win this card or even bid strongly on it because of the lamination issue. Is it possible to remove the lamination from a card like this? I searched on the site, and some threads like this one (Link) seemed to say it was not possible to remove the lamination without destroying the card. When I googled this, some articles said that it was possible to remove lamination by such techniques like using a steam iron. I did not want to risk trying this on such an expensive card, but not sure if anyone else has done something like this for laminated prewar cards.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I bought one lot of cards that were laminated where the lamination had loosened over time and it more or less fell off the card, with bits of paper loss. Generally, though, I've never been able to remove it successfully. I wouldn't even try with a card like the Ruth.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am still curious why anyone would post an open auction, closing in a few hours, asking about the price?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am still curious why anyone would post an open auction, closing in a few hours, asking about the price?
I was outbid on every lot I was in within 20 minutes of this post. It could just be coincidence but anyway.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Not the case this time I'm certain, but in the past bc they were the consignor.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Not the case this time I'm certain, but in the past bc they were the consignor.
So you were the consignor or know who it was?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Jeff

Quote:
So you were the consignor or know who it was?
No, my post was tongue in cheek. Have no idea who the consignor was.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
No, my post was tongue in cheek. Have no idea who the consignor was.
Then I am back to my original question . Why would anyone post an auction closing in 4-5 hours asking about the value, on the front page of a very active vintage card forum? I am hoping Chris will answer that question or someone can give a good answer. Generally speaking, It is against the rules to post a card you have for sale on the front page. There are a few exceptions, and a few ways to do it that wouldn't be crossing the line. The way this was done isn't one of them.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Chris Buckler

Leon, I’m sorry if my post was out of line in any way. I am not the consignor of the PC nor do I know who is. I saw the PC towards the end of the auction and was intrigued. I did a quick goggle search for “Babe Ruth Carl Mays Stars postcard” and came up with nothing. I thought posting on the site would give me a quick answer and it did. Your post of the price you paid prompted me not to bid.

You asked “Why would anyone post an auction closing in 4-5 hours asking about the value, on the front page of a very active vintage card forum?” I only asked because I did not know the value or anything about the issue and I was running out of time to make a decision. As many of you may know, my wife and I are PC collectors and I had not seen this PC before. Had the PC not been laminated I would have definitely bid from my gut but since it was I was hoping to get a little info, which you provided.

I realize now my post may have seemed like I was the consignor looking for another bid, but this is not the case. I am a very picky collector of mainly Kentucky related cards/memorabilia, early Cobb and PC’s. I was simply just trying to get more info on the PC and a value range.

Thanks
Chris Buckler

Last edited by chris; 02-21-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: for spelling and to add my name
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Jake

Quote:
Leon, I’m sorry if my post was out of line in any way. I am not the consignor of the PC nor do I know who is. I saw the PC towards the end of the auction and was intrigued. I did a quick goggle search for “Babe Ruth Carl Mays Stars postcard” and came up with nothing. I thought posting on the site would give me a quick answer and it did. Your post of the price you paid prompted me not to bid.

You asked “Why would anyone post an auction closing in 4-5 hours asking about the value, on the front page of a very active vintage card forum?” I only asked because I did not know the value or anything about the issue and I was running out of time to make a decision. As many of you may know, my wife and I are PC collectors and I had not seen this PC before. Had the PC not been laminated I would have definitely bid from my gut but since it was I was hoping to get a little info, which you provided.

I realize now my post may have seemed like I was the consignor looking for another bid, but this is not the case. I am a very picky collector of mainly Kentucky related cards/memorabilia, early Cobb and PC’s. I was simply just trying to get more info on the PC and a value range.

Thanks
Chris Buckler
Why didn't you just post a scan of the card? Would probably have worked just as well and wouldn't have tipped off the auction.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Thanks
Chris Buckler
Hi Chris
Ok, but I might recommend, for the future, not posting something you are looking to bid on, on the front page of this board several hours before it closes asking for advice, unless you just want to pay more for it.

On a card note, without seeing the back it must have been "postally" used, because these are blank backed.. I consider them premiums not postcards but whatever they are I like 'em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1921ruthbarnmaster2x.jpg (70.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Would have done the same thing Chris, sometimes the information is worth the price of a few more eyes on an auction. This was also a major AH, so not like you're outing some hidden ebay gem listed in the wrong category or something.

Anyway, I really like these Ruth cards (aka postcard sized premiums), I was contemplating hitting the BIN when Leon bought his on ebay a few months ago.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Would have done the same thing Chris, sometimes the information is worth the price of a few more eyes on an auction. This was also a major AH, so not like you're outing some hidden ebay gem listed in the wrong category or something.

Anyway, I really like these Ruth cards (aka postcard sized premiums), I was contemplating hitting the BIN when Leon bought his on ebay a few months ago.
yeah, you should have done that
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I actually did! When I went to checkout and send the paypal, only then did it say that the card was no longer available. I literally missed out by a few seconds. Damn that Leon, always one step ahead!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
I actually did! When I went to checkout and send the paypal, only then did it say that the card was no longer available. I literally missed out by a few seconds. Damn that Leon, always one step ahead!
Trust me...I am 2 steps behind. My offer had been sitting with the seller for a few to several hours. I should have hit the BIN and was on the verge of it when they accepted the pending offer. I like the other pose, throwing, better but both are neat. And I still don't think it's a good idea to post what you are thinking about bidding on, on this front page. But if that works for you, God bless you.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

other pose is definitely better.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

I would have considered doing the same things as well, Chris. In this case I do not think the item had more attention called to it as a result of this thread. It is funny that Leon is the only one who answered Chris and the only one "admonishing" him for doing it.