NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2015, 05:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Star BB Club CdV

I just picked up this CdV from my friend Gary (thanks Gary). The card is identified on the back as the Star BB Club. However, in the mid to late 1860s (when I think this is from) there were five teams with the exact name of the Star BB Club (from Brooklyn, New Brunswick, NJ, Sunbury, PA, Wakefield, RI, and Virden, IL). There are also several teams named Stars, Southern Stars, etc. Can anyone shed some light as to who the team might be? It is a unique image, as the team seems to be posing on their playing field, as opposed to the typical indoor shot. They also seem to be a serious team as they are posed with eight bats (a lot for a team at that time to own) and all the uniforms are exact matches. The big building in the back looks like some type of factory. Perhaps this is a clue. Thanks for any help that can be offered!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.5 KB, 685 views)

Last edited by oldjudge; 08-26-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have no information and can't offer help I just want to say I love that image.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Great image. I can rule out New Brunswick, NJ, if that helps.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:56 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Very unlikely to be Wakefield ri
Old 08-26-2015, 08:54 PM
David Kathman

Jay --

This photo appears on page 30 of the Spring 1984 issue of the SABR publication "The National Pastime", a pictorial issue on Baseball in the Nineteenth Century. There it is identified as "two Brooklyn Stars, ca. 1870, of whom the one on the right is Candy Cummings". The uniforms look almost identical to the ones in your picture, albeit with black pants rather than white, though I don't know how common such elements might have been for clubs with the "Star" name. But that's my best guess. The 2013 book "Base Ball Founders" has a 23-page history of the Star Base Ball Club of Brooklyn, but without any pictures, alas.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Thanks guys! The geography reminds me of my drives through Pennsylvania so I will take a shot with the local historical society. I'll let you know if I make any progress.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:23 AM
Derek Granger

The stars are upside down in David's image, but right side up in Jay's. I think they are different teams, personally. Plus the issue with the pants. Just my observation, but I love the image(s)...

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-27-2015, 12:34 AM
Banned

I think the mountains in the background rule out Brooklyn. It looks as if the photos were taken at a quarry or mine of some sort.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:37 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Interestingly, if you look between the fourth and fifth players there appears to be a policeman on the "field" level. I agree that it looks like a quarry or an open pit mine that possibly was smoothed out to use as a field. The factory and other buildings on the upper level might have been used to process what came from the most mine. I know that limestone and coal came from the area. It doesn't look like coal though.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:59 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

After a little research the building on the upper level looks similar to some images I have found of a smelter. Virden, IL was a mining area, but for only coal, as far as I can tell. Sunbury, PA had coal, but also limestone, and more importantly lead and zinc, both of which are smelted. The picture below is of a smelter. The tall smokestack is what struck me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.3 KB, 590 views)
Old 08-27-2015, 03:00 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Compare it to the CdV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.1 KB, 538 views)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 AM
Tom A

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
The stars are upside down in David's image, but right side up in Jay's. I think they are different teams, personally. Plus the issue with the pants. Just my observation, but I love the image(s)...
It looks like the 3rd, 6th, and 9th stars are upside down in the CdV as well. Maybe the 1st as well.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:41 AM
C.hris Bl.and

As an Illinois resident Jay, I can tell you that it is likely not Virden. It is just south of the state capital of Springfield and that area would not have a rolling hill of that size like the one you see in the CdV

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 AM
pariah1107

There was a California CDV that was sold at auction a year or so ago possibly identified as the Eureka Blue Stars ca. 1880's (if memory serves me). I agree with the mining theory as the fans seem to be standing on slag heaps, and the baseball diamond looks like it was strip mined to bedrock, or a good sized cut. Not saying it is California, but it may be another possibility.

Here's the link to the California CDV with players in uniforms. Obviously the players in your photo & this one have different colored ballcaps: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=183660&page=3

Last edited by pariah1107; 08-27-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I did an image search based on the original REA auction in 2008 for this card and really found nothing -

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2008/1163.html

One nice lead I have is from a very nicely written thesis detailing the Montana Mines leagues called "Joy in Minersville" located here -

http://scholarworks.umt.edu/cgi/view...10&context=etd

So many teams used the name "stars" in the 1800's it could be close to impossible to locate. However, the reference used in this paper on page 69 is 143 "SC 783, Star Baseball Club Records, Montana Historical Society Archives, Helena Montana."

If you really want to dig, you may want to see if they have any photos for comparison. The name and the fact they were in a mine league is a good start.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Jay --

This photo appears on page 30 of the Spring 1984 issue of the SABR publication "The National Pastime", a pictorial issue on Baseball in the Nineteenth Century. There it is identified as "two Brooklyn Stars, ca. 1870, of whom the one on the right is Candy Cummings". The uniforms look almost identical to the ones in your picture, albeit with black pants rather than white, though I don't know how common such elements might have been for clubs with the "Star" name. But that's my best guess. The 2013 book "Base Ball Founders" has a 23-page history of the Star Base Ball Club of Brooklyn, but without any pictures, alas.
FWIW, It is well known that this guy is absolutely not Candy Cummings. That issue of "The National Pastime" has quite a few ID errors, all from the same source.

[/quote]
Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I thought I would update the thread. Of the five possible "Star BB Club" locations, the one that seemed the most promising was the Sunbury, PA one. With that in mind I contacted the Northumberland County Historical Society; Northumberland is the county that Sunbury is in. I spoke to a very nice gentleman, explained what I was trying to identify, and sent him an image of the CdV. He made copies and distributed ithem to all the members of the Board of Directors of the historical society. The board studied and discussed the image and the news was good:

" Consensus of the Sunbury residents on our board is that the photo was taken in Sunbury and they believe the building in the background is the old railroad roundhouse."

So, I guess that what we have is the Star BB Club of Sunbury, PA
Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 PM

I don't have anything about identification to add but MUST say that once again the knowledge, helpfulness and investigative work by the members of net54 simply continues to amaze me.

Jay... Did the board by any chance share back photos of the old railroad roundhouse for comparison?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Eric--they did not, but I have asked for it.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I thought I would update the thread. Of the five possible "Star BB Club" locations, the one that seemed the most promising was the Sunbury, PA one. With that in mind I contacted the Northumberland County Historical Society; Northumberland is the county that Sunbury is in. I spoke to a very nice gentleman, explained what I was trying to identify, and sent him an image of the CdV. He made copies and distributed ithem to all the members of the Board of Directors of the historical society. The board studied and discussed the image and the news was good:

" Consensus of the Sunbury residents on our board is that the photo was taken in Sunbury and they believe the building in the background is the old railroad roundhouse."

So, I guess that what we have is the Star BB Club of Sunbury, PA
I'm perplexed, a roundhouse did not need or have a smoke stack. It absolutely looks like a mining location, with the spoil piles, etc, but that building looks nothing like a roundhouse.

Rob M.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:19 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I found this on line. It's from 40 years later (1907). It's not the same, but similar. Over the 40 years the building could have had some significant makeovers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.9 KB, 298 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

The unusual top to the large smokestack looks like a match, as do the myriad chimneys throughout the building or buildings.

Tom C
Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Shawn England

Default Burning Of The Round-House At Pittsburgh

Here is an image I found online with the following notes: Striking workers during the violent year of 1877 often targeted the key properties of companies against which they were striking for arson and sabotage. The Round House at Pittsburgh was a hub of railroad activity and one of the company's most expensive properties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-2-1ADD-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0m3h4-a_349.jpg (79.0 KB, 298 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Shawn England

Default Pittsburgh Railroad War

Not sure if these are of any help being that its pittsburgh but still a very intriguing set of photos picturing the destruction. Check out this link for more views.

http://antiquephotographics.com/ster...-railroad-war/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prw004.jpg (78.5 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg prw005.jpg (75.8 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by smokelessjoe; 09-17-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:14 PM

Hi Jay,

Here is some research I did this afternoon on your CDV in response to the historical society's determination. All research I do is through primary materials.

The Star Base Ball Club of Sunbury was first organized in April 1866 and played until at least 1871. The team played on a baseball ground located near the Northern Central Railroad Engine House (N.C.R.R.), “near the machine shops of the of the N.C.R.R.”

Records of the team’s existence between mid-1866 and 1871 are very sparse, if not non-existent. This paucity may be due to The Star Club’s merger with the Susquehanna Club in June 1866. According to the Sunbury American, “The Star Club of this place, has been merged into the Susquehanna Club…The Susquehanna has the materials to make a first-class club…”

A roster posted on May 5, 1866 shows the short-lived team's lineup as the following:

L. Dewart, C.
J. Malone, P.
A. Weaver, 1 b.
A. F. Clapp 2 b.
N. U. Fisher, 3 b.
H. Hourne l. f.
D. Irvin, c. f.
B. Rodrigue, r.f.

Newspaper articles begin referencing the club, again, in 1871. Through these accounts we are exposed to a very successful team. For example, on July 8, 1871 the Star Club defeated the Trevorton Club “ As usual the Star Club came off the victors.” Additionally, the Star Club continued to play at a field located at the Central Railroad Engine House.

In early August the 1871 Star Club played for the championship of Northumberland county against the Union Club of Watsontown at the Central Railroad field. During the first game the Star Club defeated the Union club in 1 hour and 15 minutes and by 16 runs, 27-11. The teams roster was as follows:

Smick, c
Bucher, p
Hopper 1st b
P. Krohn, 2d b
Welker, 3d b
Reese s. s
Eisley l.f.
R. Krohn c. f
Neuer, r.f.

This all considered, in conjunction with the Sunbury Historical Society’s assertion that the image in the baseball CDV is indeed railway grounds in Sunbury, demonstrates that the team pictured in the CDV is very likely the 1866 or 1871 Star Club of Sunbury, PA. Moreover, the creation of a CDV may have been made in lieu the team’s victorious record in 1871. While I do not know if the Star Club did indeed win the championship, they at least played a full season. In total, I am leaning towards the CDV being the 1871 Star Club.

Additionally, this research is not utterly complete. While I assert no records exist of this team between mid 1866 and the start of 1871, records may exist and my research may be lacking. The above blurb is strictly based on my findings so far.

Best,

Zach

Last edited by mzm55; 09-17-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:29 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Thanks Zach, that is great research. Gary had thought that the CdV was probably late 1860s, so we are all in the same time frame. If we call it circ.-1870 we are probably fine. It's great that our combined efforts have unearthed something interesting.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Shawn England

Default Star Club,

Hi Jay,

You state that it is identified as the Star Club on the back, would you mind posting a scan of the back?

Shawn
Old 09-17-2015, 01:31 PM

I don't think the knickers started showing up until the late 1860's which would help support the c. 1870 time frame.

Rob M.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Shawn--it is written in pencil on the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.9 KB, 229 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 06:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzm55 View Post
Hi Jay,

Here is some research I did this afternoon on your CDV in response to the historical society's determination. All research I do is through primary materials.

The Star Base Ball Club of Sunbury was first organized in April 1866 and played until at least 1871. The team played on a baseball ground located near the Northern Central Railroad Engine House (N.C.R.R.), “near the machine shops of the of the N.C.R.R.”

Records of the team’s existence between mid-1866 and 1871 are very sparse, if not non-existent. This paucity may be due to The Star Club’s merger with the Susquehanna Club in June 1866. According to the Sunbury American, “The Star Club of this place, has been merged into the Susquehanna Club…The Susquehanna has the materials to make a first-class club…”

A roster posted on May 5, 1866 shows the short-lived team's lineup as the following:

L. Dewart, C.
J. Malone, P.
A. Weaver, 1 b.
A. F. Clapp 2 b.
N. U. Fisher, 3 b.
H. Hourne l. f.
D. Irvin, c. f.
B. Rodrigue, r.f.

Newspaper articles begin referencing the club, again, in 1871. Through these accounts we are exposed to a very successful team. For example, on July 8, 1871 the Star Club defeated the Trevorton Club “ As usual the Star Club came off the victors.” Additionally, the Star Club continued to play at a field located at the Central Railroad Engine House.

In early August the 1871 Star Club played for the championship of Northumberland county against the Union Club of Watsontown at the Central Railroad field. During the first game the Star Club defeated the Union club in 1 hour and 15 minutes and by 16 runs, 27-11. The teams roster was as follows:

Smick, c
Bucher, p
Hopper 1st b
P. Krohn, 2d b
Welker, 3d b
Reese s. s
Eisley l.f.
R. Krohn c. f
Neuer, r.f.

This all considered, in conjunction with the Sunbury Historical Society’s assertion that the image in the baseball CDV is indeed railway grounds in Sunbury, demonstrates that the team pictured in the CDV is very likely the 1866 or 1871 Star Club of Sunbury, PA. Moreover, the creation of a CDV may have been made in lieu the team’s victorious record in 1871. While I do not know if the Star Club did indeed win the championship, they at least played a full season. In total, I am leaning towards the CDV being the 1871 Star Club.

Additionally, this research is not utterly complete. While I assert no records exist of this team between mid 1866 and the start of 1871, records may exist and my research may be lacking. The above blurb is strictly based on my findings so far.

Best,

Zach
Nice research Zach. Hope all is well your way!!

And Jay, I have an eraser if you don't want that pesky writing on the back .

Last edited by Leon; 09-18-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:56 AM
GaryPassamonte

Great research, Zach.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
I'm perplexed, a roundhouse did not need or have a smoke stack. It absolutely looks like a mining location, with the spoil piles, etc, but that building looks nothing like a roundhouse.

Rob M.
Many buildings at the time had smokestacks, especially if they were outside urban areas.

The smokestack would have been from the steam plant, which provided both heat for the building and power for any powered machinery they had.
Heat for the roundhouse would have taken a lot of steam considering the size of those buildings. You really don't want the boilers of the engines feeezing and getting damaged. Some places also did repairs in the same building and could have used steam powered cranes and other tools.

And being a railroad they probably had a coal fired steam plant. So rather than spoil piles those would be cinder piles for the cinders from the coal plant as well as from the engines.

One of our local land marks was essentially destroyed by lightning late last year. The Hood smokestack was 100 feet tall, and the company made patent medicines.
http://lifefromtheroots.blogspot.com...lowell_22.html

Steve B
Old 09-18-2015, 09:54 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Leon-Thank goodness no one used that eraser in the past, or we never would have figured out who the team was.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Leon-Thank goodness no one used that eraser in the past, or we never would have figured out who the team was.
I have always said that if the marks are/look period we should consider leaving them. I have left quite a few alone (as I would have the writing on that beauty too, of course).....
Old 01-21-2022, 12:10 PM
GaryPassamonte

An astute friend has brought to my attention the fact that one of the players on the team has an eagle and not a star on his jersey. Does anyone have any ideas about this? The uniforms are alike other than the eagle being on one jersey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stareagle.jpg (24.6 KB, 90 views)